Hardware I shorted my Wii :( HELP!

IxthusTiger

Cruddy's Buddy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought an extra AC Adapter for Wii on eBay, and when I plugged it in, the brick sizzled and smoke came out of it. Now my Wii won't turn on even with the official AC adapter. Help! What do I do?

paOol

Trophies
XP
Country
if it truly is busted. i'll buy your dvd rom off you
ohmy.gif

maybe send it to nintendo if you still have warranty since you didn't open it up (unless its modded).

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Sounds like that's more than can be fixed easily. Like paOol said, try sending it to nintendo if you have your warranty and tell them what happened, just not that it was with an unofficial adapter
tongue.gif

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sounds like that's more than can be fixed easily. Like paOol said, try sending it to nintendo if you have your warranty and tell them what happened, just not that it was with an unofficial adapter
tongue.gif
If they don't atke it you can always open it up and see if you can spot the problem yourself. If not you're screwed of course
smile.gif

IxthusTiger

Cruddy's Buddy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was no brand on the adapter other than "made in china." I wanted an extra one because I always take my Wii to others houses. My friend got me a wireless sensor bar, so I wanted a spare adapter to streamline the process of "grab Wii and leave." My system is modded so I don't want them to see what I did to the dv drive. Can I just replace a fuse or something?

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Take out the chip.
Dont try to replace anything.
And if that doesn't work and you are forced to get a new one, take out your modded DVD drive as it is likely still good and replace the DVD drive with your new Wii and just sell the spare DVD drive to get some of your money back, you would lose about $100 I think.

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Well just remove the chip.
As long that you havn't burned the mainboard or rapaired any legs, just suck up the solder and repack it.

Then send it.
Then they got NO prove that you ever modded your Wii.

And i dont think that they would look at the DVD drive first...

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well just remove the chip.
As long that you havn't burned the mainboard or rapaired any legs, just suck up the solder and repack it.

Then send it.
Then they got NO prove that you ever modded your Wii.

And i dont think that they would look at the DVD drive first...
I am pretty sure nintendo doesn't even look at your console at all, they dump it, then send you a new one. At least that's what they do with DSs.

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
In so far, at least in some countries in europe, nintendo will take in ANY wii, moded or not, with the chip inside or not, and for a fixed price (around 80€) send you one in working order (90% chance it will be a d2C revision drive one).

Even more, they will remove the chip for you and send it in a little bag inside the shipping the box. The'll also send any discs that you may have forgotten inside properly packed or any cables or stuff that you also shpped by mistake.

Although they don't take much of extra care in how they remove the chip from the console, but it' s usually fine and everything. Sometimes it arrives broken.

IxthusTiger

Cruddy's Buddy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the repair shop down the street straight up refused to fix it because they don't have the parts since wiis are so scarce. I'm going to my friends house tomorrow, he's an electrical engineering major, and we're going to see what we can do. I hope it's just a fuse. Does anybody know if the wii has fuses? Or can point me where to look for them?

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, the repair shop down the street straight up refused to fix it because they don't have the parts since wiis are so scarce. I'm going to my friends house tomorrow, he's an electrical engineering major, and we're going to see what we can do. I hope it's just a fuse. Does anybody know if the wii has fuses? Or can point me where to look for them?

Well, on the drive board there are two fuses near where the cable connects to the drive board P3001 near six solder square pads and the are marked with an "N". But I don't know where the ones on the main board would be, and since your wii's not powering up, that's where you'd need to look. They are usually by the power plug, as your friend would know. In the pictures of the wii's motherboard the seems to indeed be one right by the power plug (bottom right corner of top picture by the letters pwr p11)

Wii_mb_top.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @realtimesave, explain the process