I see it! - A thread for predictions of the future.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Everything in the universe could be predicted if you knew all of the initial conditions and all of the laws of physics.

Ignoring the computational impossibility (storing the information of the universe in the universe but still having the universe exist, and then calculating for however long...) then if the universe worked on Newtonian physics then maybe, and even with what I am about to say then such knowledge or even a limited aspect of it would allow for some incredible things -- every human might be a unique snowflake but psychology still has its uses. With quantum mechanics then no -- quantum tunnelling, spontaneous atomic decay, general radioactive decay Brownian motion... all would utterly break that notion. Much like disease is not magical any more and is instead often laid at the feet of bacteria, viruses and parasites (among other things) I suppose I can not rule out it being the results of something far smaller ( http://htwins.net/scale2/ ) but if you are going to make examples like those of dice then you at best need to refine your examples.

But I do believe that the person you end up marrying is pre programed.
I forget where it was first mentioned to me (probably a freakonomics podcast) but a quick search brings up the material in question -- https://victorianist.wordpress.com/...freedom-the-bicycles-impact-on-1890s-britain/
Short version is the invention of the bicycle dramatically increased the distance that someone might meet a potential partner over. In more recent times there has been a lot of study on online dating websites and what makes them work, or indeed fail and the general failure of anything to truly take off in Europe (something people usually put at the feet of language issues). That would rather damage such claims.

Somewhat less cynically if you want to do the fated (fatalism?) approach then fair enough. It would rather excuse a lack of effort and a lack of active measures. I will leave it there though as we do not need me being cynical in another thread.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

BurningDesire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anything, The universe is nothing but a God rolling dice. The outcome can be anything. If the god didn't roll a three I wouldn't be typing right now. However, it probably isn't dice more like a complex mathematical equation. There are dimensions far beyond are reach. How do we know a true God doesn't live in one. While I am on the suspect the Many Worlds Theory states there can be multiple worlds. For every option you do in this the opposite of this and every other situation happens in a different world. That works with the "Every action has a equal and opposite reaction" so @FAST6191 the newtonian laws of physics do apply in this universe just not in the way we expect them to. They make multi earths within multiple dimensions that also contain the laws. Now that i am thinking. Who is to say we are the first earth. We could be the billionth earth.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not entirely sure how to respond to that but accusing people of hippy/stoned bullshit is not a great way to start things so I will not. I suppose we would have to consider what an action is, or I suppose a variation on the ship of Theseus. On many universes I am going with it is more of a philosophical and/or conceptual concept in most times I have heard it, and a pretty good Jet Li film. Likewise that is no more Newtonian mechanics than a balance in binding energy and mass in during nuclear decay mirrors balance in forces.

Reactions: BurningDesire

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe the theory that he's thinking of is the one that states that for every time someone has to make a decision, a parallel universe is created so that every possible outcome can happen at the same time. It wouldn't have to be sustained, that universe may even burn milliseconds later because of it, but the idea is that every outcome wants to present itself but can't physically do that in the same universe

Reactions: BurningDesire

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I completely agree, I feel like our life is a map and we're going to do all of the things on the map, but we can control some aspects of the future such as who we love, who we are friends with, etc.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But I do believe that the person you end up marrying is pre programed.
You believe you have control over the qualities you value in other people? I would say that is as much in your control as choosing your personality, eye color, sexual orientation, etc. Seems like an automatic subconscious response to me. Yeah you can choose your friends, but based on what? An already existent predisposition to qualities you either accept or refuse in your life. And choosing who you love? Would that not be determined by the actions, values and physical attractiveness of the person in question? Not trying to be a dick, just trying to challenge that idea with a bit more thought.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Those who say "durr it's already written" are always the lazy ones. Just sayin'.
If the human psyche is the result of firing nerve endings, chemical balances, and reactions to external stimuli. If the path of all energy can be accurately traced as it evolves only from outside forces. If the universe began from an outward expanse of a singularity. Then doesn't it stand to reason that every event and decision, from a large enough scale, can be accurately predicted because all energy from every where in the universe was set in motion in from the same moment and location. Not saying I fully believe in 'fate', but those that dont take time to reason or understand before they start condemning are usually the 'lazy' ones.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the...