I searched and couldn't find anything to help, so now I have to ask...

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by girth, Feb 16, 2013.

1. girth
    OP

Newcomer girth Newbie

United States
    I recently acquired a fat CECHA01 running 4.21 with a manufacture date of Nov 2006. I looked up what the best steps for getting it downgraded and I am feeling a little confused. I tried searching around the forum but I didn't find anything about 4.21 unless it was referring to a CFW. I do know that it is a NAND machine based off of this and that I have to use a hardware flasher to get to 3.55 so I can get to a CFW. I can't use the e3 flasher without doing the soldering by hand but I know I don't have the time/skill to do that. Are there any solderless options for me out there or should I just give up?

2. Subtle Demise

Member Subtle Demise Entitled and Ungrateful

United States
    I believe progskeet is solderless and there was another one but I'll be damned if I can remember what it's called right now, I'll have to get back to you on that one.

3. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    NAND based console all needs some degree of soldering to downgrade. E3 flasher is only for NOR based console (even though they say they will make one for NAND).

Your best shot is finding someone who will do the downgrade for you and ship your console to him/her.

4. girth
    OP

Newcomer girth Newbie

United States
    So progskeet is looking like the only way to go for now... Should I just hop on that or wait for more information on the cobra ode and the e3 station?

5. dragonblood9999

Member dragonblood9999 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    or you could get Cobra ODE - Optical Drive Emulator when its out

6. girth
    OP

Newcomer girth Newbie

United States
    When is the Cobra ODE coming out and how does it work? Everything I have found point to just a lot more questions.

7. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Cobra ODE allows you to play PS3 games off USB HDD without CFW. So far it involves taking apart of your PS3 and connects PCB to the PS3 motherboard. Since it hasn't came out yet we don't know if it will be like 3k3y (which needs 3.55 firmware to dump drive key), or truly plug-and-play solution.

In any cases Cobra ODE and 3k3y only allows you to play games off USB. For anything else, such as cheats and OtherOS, you will still need CFW.

8. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    ODE's or Optical Disc Emulators connect between the system and the disc drive and basically intercept the communications to make the system think that an ISO on a hard drive is actually a legit disc. It's a different approach than actually hacking the system's firmware and has its own advantages and drawbacks.

9. girth
    OP

Newcomer girth Newbie

United States
    I think I am more looking to run CFW so I will have to wait and weigh my options I guess...