Hacking I realize I am getting lag/slowdown with some games

Goofy Time

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed, after comparing both intro scenes [The cutscenes that occur that end at the title screen] from Sonic Rush Adventure and Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin from my R4 to the carts of the games I actually own [I use the R4 as a all-in-one portable cart, for those feeling odd by this revelation], the ones on the R4 slowly get out of sync with the audio, and end up slowing down. I've noticed in SRA that the framerate actually drops on the R4, yet runs fully without a hitch on the actual cart, to give a noticeable example of my issue.

Now, I solely assume this is related to my microSD card. I have a Kingston 1GB, Japanese if I recall.

What I was wondering was, is there anyway to fix the problem, given the card I have, or do I need a larger card to get the job done?

And if the latter is needed, I would greatfully appreciate what type of card would be recommended to fix the problem. A special bonus if I can get links to order it with no hassle, to boot.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Goofy Time said:
I noticed, after comparing both intro scenes [The cutscenes that occur that end at the title screen] from Sonic Rush Adventure and Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin from my R4 to the carts of the games I actually own [I use the R4 as a all-in-one portable cart, for those feeling odd by this revelation], the ones on the R4 slowly get out of sync with the audio, and end up slowing down. I've noticed in SRA that the framerate actually drops on the R4, yet runs fully without a hitch on the actual cart, to give a noticeable example of my issue.

Now, I solely assume this is related to my microSD card. I have a Kingston 1GB, Japanese if I recall.

What I was wondering was, is there anyway to fix the problem, given the card I have, or do I need a larger card to get the job done?

And if the latter is needed, I would greatfully appreciate what type of card would be recommended to fix the problem. A special bonus if I can get links to order it with no hassle, to boot.

the C:POR has been a benchmark test for msd cards and flash kits since it came out. the intro has issues on most combinations of kits and msd cards. for the r4 you should read this list at wiki.scorpei.com. keep in mind that most of that site has not been updated to test with the new firmware. people seem to let things be as working once it works, which can be a good or bad thing.

goodluck,
-another world

Goofy Time

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't the issue with PoR having to do with the game freezing up? I remember that being the largest gripe with the game, some saying it was a bad dump, cards had issues, that like. I don't recall hearing anything about slowdown, or it losing sync in the intro.

The only games that ever froze for me had issues relating to the [at the time] fucked up Action Replay DS system on the R4.

But yeah, looking on that wiki, it states there are no problems, and only one example is mentioned for slowdown.

I was curious to know if the general issues I have with slowdown could be either the card itself, or an issue with it that might warrant some action to solve it. Like, less data on the card, or a format.

Would the next card up, the 2GB, would it solve my problem?

Because really, it boils down to this; can I fix the problem with my current card, or do I need an all new one to not get this issue?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the slow down is a very real issue, it has been used in most reviews as a benchmark for flash kit performance. you can format your msd to run at smaller cluster sizes. i have read that FAT16 @ 64k cluster size is a fix for the game. this can speed up the play but can also lead to the freezing issues with warping. your card is not listed as having issues so i'm not sure what the problem is. you should try the search feature of this forum and see what others have to say.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=...+sd&spell=1

perhaps that will help you get started?

goodluck,
-another world

0xyG3N

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Get a faster Micro sd i think
wacko.gif

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
The R4 Cannot perform as well as a real game, even with an SD-CO1G Japanese MicroSD.

To Clarify, most 3d games run at 98-99% of the real cart speed. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't tried the real cart. Also, Ouendan 2 /EBA are much easier on a real cart due to this.

Goofy Time

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, in reply to that, are there any cards out now that can play all games at 100%, or are they all like the R4 in that 98-ish percent of them run fine?

Goofy Time

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So.. all in all, the problem I have with this would pretty much exist an any combination of microSD cards and flash cards?

If it's in every flash card/microSD thing, then I have no choice but to live with it.

I was assuming there'd be one alternative to fix the issue. Oh well, guess not :3

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Castlevania PoR is a bad kid, yeah, my R4 doesn't slowdown when playing it, it actually move on straight to freezing, while never in any time other game freezes, as additional info, I'm using SanDisk 1gb, pretty much slow, reading other member's posts.

Having a faster ccard will improve the game, but it wil cause the game to pass slowdown phase and teleports to freezing phase, but it is worth the try

Goofy Time

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I haven't really noticed any general lag or slowdown in the games I've played save for the two games in question, and only in their intros.

Can I get clarification that there is no flash card that emulates the real deal 100%? Being the picky person I am, I'd probably get another card if it fixed the issue of slowdown.

residentskitz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goofy Time said:
Well, I haven't really noticed any general lag or slowdown in the games I've played save for the two games in question, and only in their intros.

Can I get clarification that there is no flash card that emulates the real deal 100%? Being the picky person I am, I'd probably get another card if it fixed the issue of slowdown.

i think you are mixing up the terms "flash CART" and "microSD CARD"
IMO the R4 is about as good as you are going to get when it comes to flash CART speed, your problem is that you need a faster microSD CARD
and its not about storage size like 1GB vs 2GB, its about the actual speed that your card can be read at.

i've got a Patriot 1GB card with R4, and all games i've tried, includind portrait of ruin, have always appeared to run full speed for me with no freezing.

before you go out and buy a new flash CART, try getting a more compatible microsd CARD like one on the list posted a few replys up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Lol