Hacking I purchased a 4$ sd2vita from ebay.

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 11,129
  • Replies 66

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
My issue is they're using the old design by xyz with testpads you need to insulate (Reddit's words), plus *no case*

i reckon that it will be a few months before we get "good" ones. this will do me for now, plus some history from the vita hacking scene.

Last edited by Flame,
Reactions: Deleted User

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Reactions: Deleted User

britain4

Trophies
XP
Country
I can see how it would be an issue getting the SD2Vita out if you use game cards as well, but if you don't, it's absolutely perfect as is, fits in nice and snug (well mine does anyway), you can click SD cards in and out with it in situ and it even looks nice and clean too.

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen people in the UK selling them for £20 each. It seems that most the chinese manufactured ones are using the old designs, even the new designs are sold for around £10 on aliexpress.

I just ordered 10 pcb's for about £9 (£5 for pcb, £4 delivery) and micro sd slots for 60p, so when they arrive I'll have the latest design for 96p per adapter. I'd have to be an asshole to sell the rest on ebay for such a high price given how cheap they are to make. (unless you really cared about shipping and paid £40 for express delivery)

Don't pay too much for your adapter, people seem to be selling the latest design and using that to bump up the value when it's not exactly costing any extra to produce over the older designs. I mean hell I could sell 1 of my adapters for £10 and I'd have already broke even.

There are UK/EU sellers that aren't charging through the teeth for the latest design too, I saw this one pop up in my recommended and it's from a guy in France and they go for about £6.50 with shipping (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carte-adaptateur-ps-vita-micro-sd-SD2VITA-expedition-24H/253078425511?). So just be sure to look and don't buy the first you find cos some people are trying to abuse the situation of people wanting the latest design.

kublai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see that in some thread on gbatemp that there will be a model that already have the built in case and looks alot nicer. Waiting for that to be sold.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
@Rasa39 I keep reading these references to design. What's old and new designs? What does it actually differ or matter? And how can you tell which design a particular Sd2vita has?

Reactions: dimmidice

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Rasa39 I keep reading these references to design. What's old and new designs? What does it actually differ or matter? And how can you tell which design a particular Sd2vita has?

The original design features test points on the back of the adapter, which I believe is what stops the vita from booting when people inserted it the wrong way.
SD2Vita-adapter-04.jpg
The new design by Gadorach doesn't. The new one has a few improvements over the original design and even the original designer xyzz recomends you buy the new one if you can. Although both should still work.
sd2vita1.png
Although by now there are several different versions by several other different people, and some designs may have been improved on since initial release, but generally if you want to know the different, those two images show how each tends to look.

Last edited by Rasa39,
Reactions: Madridi

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
The original design features test points on the back of the adapter, which I believe is what stops the vita from booting when people inserted it the wrong way.
SD2Vita-adapter-04.jpg
The new design by Gadorach doesn't. The new one has a few improvements over the original design and even the original designer xyz recomends you buy the new one if you can. Although both should still work.
sd2vita1.png
Thanks for the info, but I'm still vague on some of these points:
- What do you mean inserted the wrong way? In fact, why would NOT having test points be a bad thing?
- Can you name those few improvements?

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I heard people put the adapter in back to front and that caused problems until it was taken out and put in the right way again. And I didn't say not having test points is bad, the newer one doesn't, but I don't think they are needed in a commercial design which is why the newer one doesn't feature them. (cos the adapter works now, no need for everyone who owns one to test it)

There was a thread up earlier detailing all the improvements but I'll have to find it again. I think it was stuff like better routing and things to clean it up and help prevent less issues.

Edit: It looks like the original design has been updated (to v3), so chances are whether it's xyzz or gadorach the new designs will be pretty similar. Here's the changes made according to xyzz
  • Reduced gamecard pads total width by 0.2mm.
  • Removed testpads.
  • Removed unused INS pad on the microSD socket side.
  • Changed routing to reduce number of VIAs and the probability of electrons falling out of the board.
(obviously the v1 version doesn't have these improvements, and is the one you see with the testpads)

Last edited by Rasa39,
Reactions: Madridi

kingraa777

boom!
Trophies
XP
Country
i just got some pcbs and have the sd sockets coming and am in uk would anyone be interested ? could also sell the pcbs seperate if needed???

ver 1 pcbs with the test points and there purple color :)

Neuropod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually found a listing on ebay for the plastic housing for sd2vita. It sold out instantly. But from the look of it, it doesn't cover the test points. It only covers the back side.

this was the listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS-Vita-SD2Vita-adapter-plastic-casing-read-the-description/272793628829

I bought one of these (guess I got lucky, didn't realize they went so fast) and it arrived today.

Overall, very happy with it. I took the advice given in the listing and glued my adapter to the housing. (Without gluing it was a bit difficult to use, though still less so than trying to insert the adapter alone.) Once assembled, it's very easy to insert in to the system, no different from a normal Vita game cartridge. Taking it back out is a bit tricky, since you may accidentally end up just ejecting the Micro SD, but if you're careful and push down closer to the sides you can eject it like normal. And besides, leaving the adapter in and only removing the card when you need to makes the most sense.

As you say, it doesn't cover the test points, so that's something to be aware of.

So yeah, if anyone's looking for an early case solution, this is a pretty good one. Either wait for the seller to put up more, or you can 3D print your own from the link in the auction description.

Reactions: zfreeman

digipimp75

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw those on ebay too, but was apprehensive about buying one. I ended up buying one for about $10 shipped (US Seller). The card was received quickly, and is working great.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.