I play Monster Hunter, should I go vanilla or XL?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by shinkodachi, Jul 31, 2014.

1. shinkodachi
    OP

shinkodachi On permanent leave

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Hi!

Yes, stupid thread. Beaten to death. Millions of answers. However, I couldn't find anything in particular to playing Monster Hunter except for this thread at GameFAQs: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/642342-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/66377231.

As I'm definitely buying the Circle Pad Pro, I wonder if it helps with the ergonomics of the vanilla 3DS enough to outweigh any advantages the 3DS XL might have in regards to handling. There's also the Hori version of the Circle Pad Pro to consider, which in my opinion just looks nicer on the vanilla 3DS: http://www.hori.jp/products/3dsll/mh4g_slidepad/. Hori also has a grip for the vanilla 3DS of which I've only heard good about: http://www.hori.jp/products/3ds/3ds_sugonigi/. Few similar products exist for the 3DS XL, but probably because the 3DS XL has better ergonomics to begin with (unless I'm wrong about that).

Any input is appreciated. Currently just own a Wii U and really want to start playing on the go with a 3DS (XL). But there are so many options to choose from... http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/44317/3ds-colours-and-special-editions/

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Get an XL with an imported CirclePad Pro if possible, controlling the camera with just the shoulder buttons is incredibly uncomfortable - not impossible though. Go XL since the screen is superior and there's just no question about it, you can grab a CirclePad Pro later.

3. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    You really want to control your camera with the left Index finger and use the left trigger button with your middle finger?
    I mean the grip is definitely awesome but really?

As far as Vanilla Vs. XL goes there is really not much differences. The XL slidepad pro is better designed for hands. oh yeah and the font on vanilla is kinda hard to read so better go with XL.
    But I also tried playing without the Slidepad pro which was completely fine with the touchscreen and all. No weird PSP holding methods required.

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That Hori CPP is an abomination, burn it in holy fire.

Drink the Bleach and Sicklyboy like this.
  5. XrosBlader821

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    you could say it's HORIble.
    *get's shot*

6. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States

Well except for the fact that the earliest original 3DSs had a brighter screen than later 3DSs and all 3DS XLs. But this is a very minor complaint as you can obviously see everything just fine regardless on what kind of 3DS you're playing on.

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Was it? I have two launch model 3DS'es and I have to say that the brightness as well as the 3D effect is still superior on the XL.

8. duffmmann

Mar 11, 2009
    United States

Yeah, its hardly noticeable, but you can notice on later 3DSs and XLs, that everything is just a slight shade of yellow dimmer (if that makes sense lol). Again though, such a minor complaint that really has no bearing on playability or anything like that. (I too have a launch 3DS, so this small difference has always been noticeable when I play current 3DSs/XLs at kiosks and those of my friends that were later adapters of the handheld.)

9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It must be a hit-and-miss characteristic of early screens because both of my 3DS'es are dim as f*ck in comparison to the XL (Zelda model used for comparison).

10. duffmmann

Mar 11, 2009
    United States

This is the difference, I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

Now maybe this is a defect that doesn't occur to all new 3DSs and XLs, but I've seen it a lot, and haven't yet seen a 3DS XL in person that doesn't have this issues.

11. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Is the circle pad pro that hard to get for the XL? You're making me glad I bought one when I was on vacation in Japan last summer.

12. shinkodachi
    OP

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Thanks for thr reply, any reason why I should import the CPP?

13. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Because chances that you'll get a CPP XL in Europe or America are next to none, it's practically an accessory for Monster Hunter and Kid Icarus only. There are some other games that use it, but nothing springs to mind, really. It's very much dead and supply is limited. Your best bet is Amazon or eBay.

14. shinkodachi
    OP

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    My local GameStop has it :P

15. Kane49

Kane49 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    Gambia, The

My local electronics discounter has loads of em in stock as well

16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You guys are pretty lucky then - I can't find a single CPP XL anywhere, and trust me - I looked. :)

17. XrosBlader821

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Yeah the best luck of getting a CCP is by buying it when it comes out.
    Btw. the CCP works with MGS3 3D and Resi Revelations too. Infinitely better control schemes. But yeah, the supported game list is lacking.

18. Kane49

Kane49 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    Gambia, The

Go to any media markt, they have tons :P

19. XrosBlader821

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    I checked last time I was buying a game for Vita. They don't anymore.

20. Kane49

Kane49 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    Gambia, The

I was there this monday ^^