Hacking I plan to buy a RGH'd Xbox 360,anything i should know?

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm really planning into buying one soon or later,but i do not know NOTHING about Xbox 360 hacking at all. All i know are really basics. Is there any cautions i should take and any stuff i should ask to the seller before buying? I just want to be sure i won't be messing anything up (being the clumsy person i am)

Reactions: queendude

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ignore what he said, he doesn't know what he's talking about.
RRoD has nothing to do with JTAG, it has to do with board revisions.

The difference between JTAG and RGH is the wiring.
They achieve exactly the same.

However, with a RGH, you can opt for a Dual NAND.
Which allows you to disable the RGH chip and boot from a clean NAND, allowing you to play on Live.
However, this is costly.

I've written a few tutorials on how to update the hardware hacked 360 and installing FSD.
It's not to hard.

Vieela

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Ignore what he said, he doesn't know what he's talking about.
RRoD has nothing to do with JTAG, it has to do with board revisions.

The difference between JTAG and RGH is the wiring.
They achieve exactly the same.

However, with a RGH, you can opt for a Dual NAND.
Which allows you to disable the RGH chip and boot from a clean NAND, allowing you to play on Live.
However, this is costly.

I've written a few tutorials on how to update the hardware hacked 360 and installing FSD.
It's not to hard.
I would even try myself but i can't seem to find the chip needed for RGH. There's some few ones i found but they have different colors and stuff,i'm confused if it's a thing about compatibility. I'll try to look further into it and see what i can do. Thanks for the help.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Have you got proper soldering skills?
If yes, you can attempt it for yourself.
If no, get a pre RGH'd one.

Out of ease, I'd say get a pre RGH'd one.
You can swap out the harddrive and replace it with a 9mm thick, 2.5inch HDD (2TB max) which is plenty for games etc.

Vieela

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Have you got proper soldering skills?
If yes, you can attempt it for yourself.
If no, get a pre RGH'd one.

Out of ease, I'd say get a pre RGH'd one.
You can swap out the harddrive and replace it with a 9mm thick, 2.5inch HDD (2TB max) which is plenty for games etc.
I've tried soldering before,i'm not completely horrible at it,but i'm not the best. I could try making the RGH myself,but i'll check as well a pre RGH'd,just in case,since i'm not the best skilled one in soldering. Thanks a lot for the help.

K

KingpinSlim

I've tried soldering before,i'm not completely horrible at it,but i'm not the best. I could try making the RGH myself,but i'll check as well a pre RGH'd,just in case,since i'm not the best skilled one in soldering. Thanks a lot for the help.
They are really cheap right now on forums.
I got my Xbox 360 Slim Gears of War limited edition for 130€ with RGH.
Be patient, look around.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'd really suggest getting a pre RGH'd one then.
Some spots on the board are tiny and without the proper equipment, it's easy to lift pads/traces and destroy the board.

Slim or Phat barely has any influence other then price.
The sweet spot is any 360 made between '09 and '11.

atlboyz_247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*bump* Sorry for hijacking and reviving a dead thread, but this thread didn't seem to be that old, but I'm planning to do the same thing as OP tomorrow (buy a pre-RGH console).

Do I need to retrieve backup files of some sort? Are NAND backups a thing for 360s? Is there a better forum for finding mods, updates, homebrew? As for making backups and loading them, is that something built into the dash or do I need a specific application for that?

As for a KV, is that specific to the console? I read that there are KV services that cost money to keep the console online, what's that about?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
if possible, ask for the original NAND dump and CPU key.

You can extract the NAND on your own with 360 NAND flasher and the CPU key via XeLL (boot it with eject)
KV's are console specific, you can inject a new KV but it's costly and those stealth servers have no guarantee you'll survive (or they survive)

I don't condone in cheating so I won't be helping you with that.

Reactions: atlboyz_247

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are kv services like xblise, but they're extremely costly. I've never personally used one, but what will happen is your kv will be sent to their (xblise) servers where a fresh kv will be sent to xbox live. This is done through a plugin with dashlaunch (the xbox 360 equivalent of cobra on the ps3). It's not worth it imo. I had heard that they went to being free after people stopped using them due to price. I don't know if that's still true.

Btw, you can also get your cpu key with dashlaunch 3.0+. You just need to open the installer xex file. Dashlaunch is a must when it comes to the 360. You don't technically need it, but it will make things so much easier. With Xell, you either need Xell reloaded or Xellous to transmit video via hdmi; otherwise, u'll get a blank screen when you hit the eject button. Also, changing how to enter Xell is doable with a NAND flash, but I'd stick with the eject button since that's the default option.

And, @DinohScene is correct. You can extract your kv with a NAND backup. You should definitely ask for one before you buy the console. I've personally kept ones since the xbr days, so I have like ten+ NAND backups for my main jtag.

atlboyz_247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if possible, ask for the original NAND dump and CPU key.

You can extract the NAND on your own with 360 NAND flasher and the CPU key via XeLL (boot it with eject)
KV's are console specific, you can inject a new KV but it's costly and those stealth servers have no guarantee you'll survive (or they survive)

I don't condone in cheating so I won't be helping you with that.
There are kv services like xblise, but they're extremely costly. I've never personally used one, but what will happen is your kv will be sent to their (xblise) servers where a fresh kv will be sent to xbox live. This is done through a plugin with dashlaunch (the xbox 360 equivalent of cobra on the ps3). It's not worth it imo. I had heard that they went to being free after people stopped using them due to price. I don't know if that's still true.

Btw, you can also get your cpu key with dashlaunch 3.0+. You just need to open the installer xex file. Dashlaunch is a must when it comes to the 360. You don't technically need it, but it will make things so much easier. With Xell, you either need Xell reloaded or Xellous to transmit video via hdmi; otherwise, u'll get a blank screen when you hit the eject button. Also, changing how to enter Xell is doable with a NAND flash, but I'd stick with the eject button since that's the default option.

And, @DinohScene is correct. You can extract your kv with a NAND backup. You should definitely ask for one before you buy the console. I've personally kept ones since the xbr days, so I have like ten+ NAND backups for my main jtag.

I don't intend to be using the console online, but I like to keep my devices at their best (not banned and NAND backups ready) and if anything happens, but if I'm assuming right, that means that the online services supply you with temporary solutions and not a permanent solution that can break (and then buy a new one)? Permanent like how PS3s and 3DSes can get an ID from another console that isn't banned to use them online. Anyways, I guess this isn't important to me since I never play online :D

In order to do everything I need to do with the RGH console (install plugins, instaling a newer dashboard fw, backup the NAND, backup my 360 game library), do I need any new hardware, or is everything doable off of an external hard drive/a flash drive? Do I need to use FTP software?

How hard is it to setup a Dual NAND RGH setup so I can play as usual on the clean NAND (this is where I was curious as to how to keep the console up to spec as I would with my PS3 with a fresh not banned ID)

Last edited by atlboyz_247,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all that stuff - that can be done without external hardware.

I've never tried to connect my console to xbox live, but I keep hearing two different possibilities - u'll either get a dns error or ur console will be banned almost immediately. this is if using a jtag/rgh, so don't come to terms with being unable to connect to live.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The problem is is that you must have your RGH RGH'd at all times.
You can't inject a different KV and then remove the RGH later on.

You can also play on LiNK.
It's a safe syslink multiplay community.

I've made a tutorial about setting up a hacked 360 here.
Just use live the live CD to pull off xex menu and download updated versions of applications on homebrew-connection.org
Updating it, here.

I'd personally pick a 1 TB 2.5 inch internal HDD.
Much cleaner and quicker then USB.

Dualboot is possible but costly.
You do need two harddrives then (one for homebrew, one for legit) or play everything from a USB drive (legit) and the homebrew from the HDD>

atlboyz_247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all that stuff - that can be done without external hardware.

I've never tried to connect my console to xbox live, but I keep hearing two different possibilities - u'll either get a dns error or ur console will be banned almost immediately. this is if using a jtag/rgh, so don't come to terms with being unable to connect to live.

I'm assuming you mean from the Unsigned Side? Is it detectable from a hardware standpoint that even a clean NAND side wouldn't be safe either?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."