Hacking I now think the USB compatibility list is flawed, please read.

Darkzero51521

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Campanile said:
Hi, very interesting enclosure thread, nice catch !
Any of you got one that works one day and stop working the next day ? (could not initialize usb subsys...) ? Got that with my lacie 250Go 2.5....

I've seen people in other threads complain about that. Try switching USB ports.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
imho the USB bit in the wiki IS RUBBISH.

TOTALLY, btw.

I think the ONLY way to make it REALLY good, is if you MUST put a link to the actual drive you bought.

HDD, and DVDs are not what they say on the box all the time and the "vague naming" used could describe several drives.

Another reason for the link is that these HDDs are made in batches, and can differ, just like DVDs.

A "western digital 250gb" * etc could be 20 different things.

Even a "western digital passport 250gb" * could actually differ.

imo, people should NEED to put a link to the shop they got it from, or a link to the manufacturers website if the shop is not online, but then add it in comments.

* Made they model names up as examples

cloverfield

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I bought a € 10,- HD case (samsung pleomax) put an old 160GB harddisk in it and it works like a charm (halfway backingup mario kart).
Saves me a lot on buying a new hd!

This is a gread way to enhance the gaming experience.

pease09

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good point.

The problem of USB Devices compatibility is from the USB drive chip they use.

A software named "chipgenius" can detect USB drive chip type of your USB device.(Cannot detect all the chips since the LIB is limited.)

You may find by Google, try it for your USB devices and report the chip type to the USB Devices Compatibility List .

Campanile

Trophies
Website
campanile.dev-fr.org
XP
Country
France
Darkzero51521 said:
Campanile said:
Any of you got one that works one day and stop working the next day ? (could not initialize usb subsys...) ? Got that with my lacie 250Go 2.5....

Thanks for the hint, but I worked it out with a sad conclusion : each time I turn my WII off (using the wiimote) the USB powered 2.5 HDD does a weird clang-sound, and I have the nasty error on next try. I have to reformat and put back some iso and it starts working again :/

I'll run more test later (cut power instead of using the wiimote button, unplug disk before turning off, using an extra power source, ...)

EDIT : a few more tests:
- turning wii off from inside a game corrupt my drive (3 tests, 3 corruptions)
- cutting power directly cause no problem (2 tests, 2 success)
- previous 2 points have no sense :/

Darkzero51521

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Campanile said:
Darkzero51521 said:
Campanile said:

Thanks for the hint, but I worked it out with a sad conclusion : each time I turn my WII off (using the wiimote) the USB powered 2.5 HDD does a weird clang-sound, and I have the nasty error on next try. I have to reformat and put back some iso and it starts working again :/

I'll run more test later (cut power instead of using the wiimote button, unplug disk before turning off, using an extra power source, ...)

EDIT : a few more tests:
- turning wii off from inside a game corrupt my drive (3 tests, 3 corruptions)
- cutting power directly cause no problem (2 tests, 2 success)
- previous 2 points have no sense :/

Go download a hard drive moniter/diagnostic/error checking program. You probably have some bad sectors, there's no reason that would be the Wii's fault.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)