I needs a way to make monies

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by NeSchn, May 21, 2009.

May 21, 2009

I needs a way to make monies by NeSchn at 4:54 PM (2,104 Views / 0 Likes) 27 replies

1. NeSchn
    OP

Member NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

United States
    So, heres the thing. I need a new cymbal really bad for my drumset, I already have that under control, I have been trying to sell my RuneScape for like $90 so I can get a good cymbal instead of a shitty one like I usually get.

So now, I really want that Dingoo thing, I am thinking about selling my Alcest - Le Secret because it goes for $70 however though some guy on eBay has their original demo that he might trade me with. I really want the demo so I can own everything from them but yet I really want this Dingoo thing.

Give me some suggestions, I already sell stuff on eBay, I have kinda been looking for a job, and my neighbors hate my family (because we are musicians and have a lot of people over at our house all the time) so I can't do work for them.

2. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    go busking, if your good people will give you money, if your bad people will give you money to stop.

3. Calafas

Member Calafas GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Get a proper job? Just an idea, man.

4. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Yeah that's REAL freakin' helpful! I need a job myself and it seems like a chance of getting one or not

5. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Try working at a local store of some sort, just ask [​IMG]

I get my money from working at the universities library, the pay is sufficient enough to to make me [​IMG]

6. Blythe31

Member Blythe31 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Welll what type and what brand of cymbal are you looking for? larger cymbals = more $$ since there's more metal used.

Also brand matters. Are you going with standard brands like Zildjian and Sabian or gonna shoot for a Paiste cymbals? maybe a cheap Wuhan cymbal? Depending on how much you have to save up could affect what else you'll be able to get or how long you'll have to save up for. Seeing as you play drums, why not offer drum lessons for a reasonable price?

7. Calafas

Member Calafas GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Hey, sorry for not knowing what jobs are available in your area. I must be slipping up here.

8. NeSchn
    OP

United States
    I'm looking for a Zildjian, Sabian, or Paiste cymbal. I like the sounds of all of them like my Zildjian ZBT PLUS (the one thats cracked to shit) sounded beast, my Sabian B8Pro ride is pretty good, and I liked the sound of my old Paiste 302 cymbal.

They are all pretty cheap cymbals though so I am looking for a higher end of one of those brands, as for drum lessons though. I completely taught myself (as did my brother) so we have no clue how to teach drums at all because we were never taught.

9. Blythe31

United States

b8's are straight up entry level cymbals. Of course they were pretty cheap. THey can sound good for the price though. I kind of let my 14in china decay a little so it sounds a bit trashier and doesn't ring out as much, but I always hated my b8 ride. Too washy, and not enough ping in my opinion. Also for cracked cymbals, I'm not really informed on the matter, but my old drum teacher used to take some of the minor cracks and just cut them out. Idk how exactly he did it, but it kind of slightly fixed the cymbal enough to practice on. I'd never play a show with it though. There are several things you can do to a cracked cymbal.

1. Throw it away!
    Accept the fact that it is dead and gone. There is nothing you can do.

2. Ask the dealer/manufacturer for a replacement.
    Try to send it straight back to the dealer or even the cymbal manufacturer. At least try to get a new one before going into major surgery. For example, Zildjian's usually very good about replacing cracked cymbals, no questions asked.

3. Fix with epoxy
    Cracked cymbals can be brought back to usefulness. The proceedure works like this. Force Epoxy into the crack. Strike the cymbal hard several times to vibrate glue deeper into the crack. Apply more Epoxy and strike several times again. Wipe away excess. Bake the cymbal in a 200 degree oven for about an hour. This hardens the Epoxy to a glassy consistancy. Let the cymbal cool naturally. Let stand for at least 24 hrs before playing. If done correctly, it works.

4. Fix by soldering/welding
    An alternative way is to solder over the crack on both sides (standard solder for electronics). Polish the damaged part until it is all clean and shiny, this way the solder will grip properly. I found this to restore much of the original sound. Unfortunately, it tends to crack up again after about a day's playing (that is for cracks on the edge). I guess that stronger stuff (like welding) might last longer, but would probably melt the cymbal.

5. Fix by drilling
    Cracked cymbals are no too easy to fix or work with. You may try drilling a small hole at each end of the crack to prevent further spread, and then widen the crack -- Like they did with the Liberty Bell the first few times it cracked. This will stop it from buzzing, but not much else.
    If the crack starts from the edge, drill the other end and then make a wide, V-shaped notch starting from the hole.
    Drilling may (with good luck) prevent the crack from getting bigger but it seldom improves the quality of the sound.

6. Fix by turning in the lathe
    If the crack is on the outer edge and it's not too deep (towards the center), you can cut the cymbal smaller in the diameter. Of course, turning is likely to change the sound characteristics...

7. Make an effect cymbal out of it
    Forget the old sound and try to figure out how you can get totally new, exciting, weird, previously unheard, nice sounding special effects out of it. You might try cutting the cymbal into a new size/shape. For example, just the cup of a large-cupped ride makes a cool bell.

I'd recommend the AAX customs or K customs. Amazing cymbals. Fucking brilliant sound. Also, try some of the signatures out there. They'll usually have some better build quality then what you'll find in normal cymbals, but it basically comes down to what sounds good with your kit. also check out Meinl, Bosphorus, and Istanbul cymbals.

As for the teaching yourself stuff. I'm pretty sure you picked up basic technique and ease around the kit. Maybe pick up a cheap book on music theory and then teach people? A little music theory never EVER hurts. I've been in countless studio sessions where i'd be completely lost if I didn't know my shit.

10. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
  11. NeSchn
    OP

United States
    Nahh, my cymbal is done for. I'm probably just going to throw it out. Thanks though [​IMG]

12. Blythe31

United States
    i'd be wary of buying cymbals off of ebay. [​IMG]
    They may look fine cosmetically, but with a little carnuba wax or lemon juice, you can make a cymbal look like brand new.

Since you're playing metal you may want to look into Paiste's Rude series. Also, when I played drums for a hardcore band, I always preferred larger trashier sounding cymbals. I had like a 17&18 crash and a 28 ride and an Ice-Bell. Sounded beastly. haha.

Lol.. sorry for kind of deviating from making money to just talking about cymbals.
    er.. maybe work for sam ash or GC? haha. you'll get only discounts! haha.

13. NeSchn
    OP

United States
    Haha yeah I know, this topic was supposed to be about getting money to buy the Dingoo a320 XD but somehow it turned into Cymbal talk.

I have bought a few cymbals off of eBay and I only use the stores that are well known and have good feedback so I think I am fine.

And RUDE cymbals are a little too much for my budget lol, I like Meinl MCS cymbals, they are pretty good Metal cymbals at budget level price. Its like 60 bucks for a crash cymbal and I like the sound of the MCS crash.

14. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Buying Cymbals from eBay is the worst choice, you should buy them from a reputable music store. On how you can get money, start mining not as a career but at a real mine, you pay a fee $10-$200 for a small plot and you get to mine whatever precious stones, gems, etc. from that mine and you get to keep whatever you find, be careful if you get something really big and valuable expect to pay a big fee to take it out. You can sell your precious stone or gem to a jeweler or auction it off for good cash just make sure you get it appraised first for a second opinion and to make sure it's the genuine deal.

15. Blythe31

United States
    I know right? I'm still skeptical about ebay cymbals. I say befriend someone at your local GC or Sam Ash. I'd always get great deals on new or used gear if I had a friend there, and if your a regular face, they wont try to sell you something that no one else wants. haha.

lol NeSchn...
    Professional Miner.

[​IMG]

16. Scoop

Banned Scoop Banned

United States
    sell weed.

17. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    This is illegal you know.

Unless you live in Amsterdam or another place where weed is legal.

18. Blythe31

United States
    Not exactly sure what this "dingoo thing" is, but seeing as the ebay guy has the original demo and it might not be as easy to find again, I say go do the trade first. There's nothing like having a complete collection of something. [​IMG]
    Then you can possibly do a paid internship at a sound studio or something. Or maybe like a simple job at the mall. Idk. Also, maybe ask your parents if you could do some menial tasks for them in exhange for money.

19. NeSchn
    OP

United States
    I still don't mind buying cymbals off of eBay, I have never gotten screwed once because I know what I am looking for and what stores to use. I did get scammed once from some guy but thats because he never sent the cymbal.

I laughed at a couple responses, Mining, while it does sound pretty cool and a neat thing to do. I don't think there are any mining plots in my area XD.

Selling weed, I just laughed. While it is good money (I know from friends, I barely ever use weed and have never sold it), I couldn't see myself selling illegal drugs or wanting to risk getting in trouble for it.

As for asking my parents for money for doing work around the house, They don't believe in paying any of us for house work because "we should do it anyways".

Yeah, I think I might go through with the trade first before buying the cymbal or the Dingoo a320 because it is a really rare demo. I think its like 131/500 or something like that.

20. Smatchmo

Member Smatchmo GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Step 1
    Get webcam

Step 2
    ???

Step 3
    Profit

It's a guaranteed moneymaker. Guaranteed, I say!