Hardware I need with my Game Boy COLOR cheat device...

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a device that worked on Link's Awakening DX but for some reason won't work with my Oracle of Seasons/Ages. It is definitely for GBC not just original games (as LA is optionally a GB standard game with GBC enhancements).

I think ages back someone said that it's because they were bought in a Euro region as opposed to the US or Japan ones even though the cartridges will work across regions; it's the cartridges themselves. Can anyone help? For example, the max ore in Oracle of Seasons codes that I've found doesn't work.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I believe you answered your own issue "as LA is optionally a GB standard game with GBC enhancements" these titles count as different to both GB and GBC. Not an issue normally but now we are playing interfacing carts it could get tricky.

Assuming that is not the case though different region will do it- the games might work stunningly but a few minor changes at code level (say for languages) can mess up an entire set of cheat codes quite easily (indeed we rarely assume such things will work (indeed looking at http://www.advanscene.com/ the US version is half the size of the Eu (not that it matters so much as they both use the same ram in the end but a few changes of location.....)). Most codes of that era are for US versions only too so I would not spend too much time searching.

Your best bet is to remake the code- grab the roms and run them in a debugging/hacking grade emulator (not sure if VBA is up to the task when it comes to hacking GB/GBC stuff but give it a go). If that fails then http://bgb.bircd.org/ (BGB) is where it is at. You can either straight up remake the code like you would any other cheat but it is worth looking at the US rom with said code running and seeing what is around it- it might make generating a new code 10 times easier if the data is just shifted a bit in the ram).

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You're probably using the codes from the wrong region. If your games are from Europe use codes for the (E) version of the game. If the games are from North America, use codes for the (U) version.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Between regions there is no foolproof way/simple way (between devices can be done). You are going to have to remake the code but as you already have a code it might make sense to look at that- sparing a crash course in computing theory in favour of a few sentences type thing

The gameboy has banks of ram that store data (like how much ore you have) which then gets shifted back and forth between the save memory.

When you compile a program made using a high level language (as this probably would have been) with differences it can radically change where data ends up in ram (one of the main point of high level languages like C is to avoid you having to take care of the ram).

Cheats on these devices however are simple things (modern ones can be slightly better but do not count on it) that contain a memory location, a type of operation (hold, inject, add, subtract etc) and a payload if necessary (some operations do not require it).

The change in memory location (say for a different region, version and the like) will mess up the cheat giving you the situation you have here.

You have to account for this change however you can- while things can change radically the clump of data usually stays the same if it is just a translation (it might have shifted up or down or might have been broken up into a few sections) so you can use the old cheats to your advantage when building new ones or you can just make a new cheat (get some ore scan the ram, use some ore but nothing/little else, scan the ram again, use some more scan the ram again- you should now be able to tell what location holds the ore and direct your cheats at it.

Your only problem might come if the game has cheat protection (various methods I will avoid speaking about for now)- I have not heard of too much in Zelda games (unlike pokemon) much less it being used extensively on the GBC but first party games are more likely to see it.

http://nocash.emubase.de/pandocs.htm#gamegeniesharkcheats has what codes are made up as if you need that (you probably have a gameshark/action replay type device rather than a game genie).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)