Hacking I need to un-hack or re-do the hack on this Wii. Stuck.

Ichinisan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TL : DR: Do I need to find an old 1GB or 2GB SD card?

Someone sent me his Wii for WiiDual installation. The package also included a brand new fan to replace the original, and a replacement disc drive.

When I tested the system before the upgrade, I didn't test the disc drive because I assumed it was faulty (because the system included a replacement). I noticed it had lots of custom channels that would fail back to the System Menu because the channels are just stubs pointing to a missing USB storage drive. The Homebrew Channel would run and show a blank menu because there was no SD card with apps.

After my twin brother installed the HDMI upgrade, I partially reassembled with the replacement disc drive and tested everything. The WiiDual HDMI mod seems to work fine. Looks great, but I tried to run a game and it fails. I put in a disc and, without even trying to pick the disc channel, a black screen appears with this message:

An error has occurred. Press
the Eject Button and remove
the disc, then turn the Wii
console off and refer to the
Wii Operations Manual for
help troubleshooting.​

I tried both drives and I also tried using a flat cable from another working Wii (which also has WiiDual HDMI upgrade). The issue doesn't seem to be the drive or the flat cable. Anyway, I sent it back to the owner and asked him to connect his external storage and try his homebrew / hack stuff. He said he's also getting the error message when he runs Gamecube or Wii ISO games from external storage, but emulator games from the SD card run fine.

I wouldn't expect this to be related to the WiiDual install, but I wouldn't say it's impossible. Also he is 100% certain all these things worked immediately before he sent the system to me. He sent the system back to me. My twin brother is extremely reluctant to go through the risky process of removing the WiiDual board to try on another system. He wants me to try un-doing the softmod hacks first -- just to rule-out the softmod as a possible cause.

In trying to un-do or re-do the softmod, I'm hitting roadblock after roadblock.

When the owner sent it back to me again, he forgot to include the SD card. I thought it wouldn't be a problem, but now I think it is a problem. Probably the best shot I have for compatibility is this old 4GB non-HC card. The System Menu can freely copy saves to/from the card, but HBC will not show anything. I created an /apps folder and put the HackMii installer there in the proper structure, but HBC is blank with no apps displayed. I also tried putting Homebrew Browser and others, but it will not show them. If it's relevant, system menu is 4.3U and HBC reports: 1.1.2 IOS58 + v24.32

The owner had an issue with his original Hackmii install and NAND backup (possibly mixed-up with another Wii). Anyway, I wish I could just get the BootMii files to put on the SD card and see if I can create another NAND backup -- but all I can find is the HackMii installer (which won't show in HBC).

I also tried LetterBomb and it will not show anything on message board / calendar thing. I definitely entered the correct MAC ID.

[edit]

The SD card might be working now that I formatted it with Windows.

Last edited by Ichinisan,

Ichinisan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Somethimes, you need to search for the message even on older weeks, not sure why tough. Have you tried?
Yes. I tried going back pretty far.

Anyway, I finally had some progress after formatting the SD card with Windows. I suppose the SD read/write libraries used by homebrew are kinda picky compared with the read/write libraries used by the official System Menu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same tbh
    ♫ Mama hully gully, Papa hully gully, Baby hully gully too:rofl2:
    Oh god, I really am old. lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @SylverReZ, sup Sylv!
    +1
    Anyway, I gotta go to the store. L8er guys. Oops, I better put some clothes on :shy::tpi::rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sicklyboy, Hey there Sickly.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, Make sure the cops don't see that.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, Make sure the cops don't see that.