Hacking i need someone to enlighten me about trimmed roms?

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
are trimmed roms like rips of the original?

are some files taken out when you trim a rom?

would the loading time be faster if i trim the rom?

does freezing occur if the rom is trimmed?

thanks in advance.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since cart data sizes need to be fixed at factors of 2 (8mb, 16mb, 32mb, 64mb, 128mb), theres almost always at least a little "garbage data", which is added to pad the file size up to one of the aforementioned numbers. Removing it will very rarely have any effect on gameplay, loading times, or cause freezing.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Trimmed roms just have the blank space at the end of the file removed. No files are taken out, and there is no difference in compatibility or performance as long as the rom isn't overtrimmed (the most common problem with overtrimmed roms is broken download play). I don't think there is much (if any) difference in load times between trimmed and untrimmed roms.

I recommend using NDSTokyoTrim for trimming DS roms, and BatchGBA for GBA roms.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My vote goes in for Rominator. Have had hundreds of ROMs tranferred over auto-trimmed without a single issue.

neogba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the only advantage is to save space, right? ...and thus fit more files on the Flash?

I was hoping the multiple ads, or designer names could be taken out before a game starts (Don't know that they can). Some of them are numerous and we have to wait for them and/or hit bypass over and over. Just wondering if anyone has done that.

EN!GMA

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
neogba said:
So the only advantage is to save space, right? ...and thus fit more files on the Flash?

I was hoping the multiple ads, or designer names could be taken out before a game starts (Don't know that they can). Some of them are numerous and we have to wait for them and/or hit bypass over and over. Just wondering if anyone has done that.

It's been done for GBA roms with GBATA, but you need to know certain addresses or something....

Don't know about DS roms

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@neogba trimming has been covered but what you refer to is generally called ripping (although if you search you will probably get some info on dumping roms).
It is not done so much since large flash memory appeared (I only do it for fun and to see how the rom is put together) and ?SD became cheap but have a read of the DS rom rips and enhancements link my signature. Link for those who disabled them: http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?t=457

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: I don't have prime, I order once I am orderign $35 worth of stuff