I need someone to build me a computer.....

HugeCock

Oh My....
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am out of the loop of computer shit but need a new liquid cooled machine for video producing. No I don't uses macs so go eat your fruit elsewhere. Any real computer people out there? I have a million dollars to spend....but would like to stay under 10k
happy.gif
Seriously just build me a system you think is best by filling in the blanks:

CPU:
RAM:
Motherboard:
Graphics: (Needs to be dual DVI out)
Sound: (Most likely be using onboard)
Water Cooling:
PSU:

Besides that I am probally just gonna do a DVD burner and some hard drives and be done. If you could link every product for me to a site that would be killer. Thanks to anyone who actually helps.

dude1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
although im a amd fan the latest core2duo chips are faster,overclock better and are cooler
the regular old core duo was fast but didnt beat amds top but it ran cooler and overclocked decently
as for graphics card there are way to many to choose i have a single 7950 overclocked sli card and it has dual dual dvi and s video out(2nd card in the mail estimated arrival next monday
smile.gif
)

dude1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
What's all this talk about SLI? should my board have this?
sli is nvidia's dual graphics card setup
simply it splits the graphics work between 2 cards
if your an ati fan there is crssfire there version of sli its not as mature or as good
but they are coming out with cool features like getting a 3 crossfire cards to have a ppu but id say go for a acctual physX card i have a bfg edition
(although physics cards are only used in gaming at the moment and not many in fact i dont think ive seen one yet i bough mine for future proofing)

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 (or wait for the quad core 'Kentsfield' now due out before the end of the year)
RAM: 4GB Corsair DDR800
Motherboard: Nforce 590 SLI intel edition
Graphics: 2x Geforce 7950GX2s (also known as quad sli)
Sound: The latest Soundblaster Audigy thing
Water Cooling: No idea, there's better solutions than water now btw (just as effective, easier to set up and less risk).
PSU: Enermax (1kW
biggrin.gif
?)

Or you can wait a month or so for dual X1950XTXs in crossfire (early reports show it outperforming quad sli by a large margin), your mobo would be different then though.

Alternatively you can get something slightly cheaper (perhaps a Geforce 7800GT or 7600GT) and wait for DirectX 10 cards to come along.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Links from will may be hard to come by as I know of no good US/Canada sites as this point it life but hopefully I can steer you towards a good thing.

Personally I view now as a bad time to build a new computer what with directx10 coming up and having looked through some of the info already out there video is a major focal point (certainly H264 wise which having played with it extensively over the last few weeks I am led strongly towards thinking it is definitely the new Xvid/MPEG4-ASP).

CPU: Anything 64bit with multiple cores and a high clock speed (overclocking ability is good too especially with liquid cooling), you may not be able to and I would not suggest a 64bit OS right away but video looks to be heading that way. I do not think there are any new processors that do not support it but make sure it supports the SSE3 "instruction set" as things as slowly but surely heading there, especially on the video compression front.

Graphics: DirectX10 will drop soon and while it will invariably take a while (personal bet: 8 months to any real usage, 12 to something really worthwhile) to get fully implemented/utilised I feel.
Stay away from AGP and while money may effectively be no object in this case some of the really expensive cards may only offer a couple more frames per second in games/video and for the power they suck down they are not really worth it.

RAM: More is better, especially for video. Search for the usual markings of good ram and it should be good.

Mobo: Personally I have not looked at these much lately and have heard nothing regarding any "underdog" type boards or anything from the big makes. Make sure it supports your other hardware

Cooling: For the most part the liquid cooling solutions are fairly equal above a certain price range.
It is not something I have toyed with personally although various friends have, try not to stray too far under $100 Canadian for this and you should be able to cool you new setup.

HDD, something nice and fast (over 10,000 RPM for certain or maybe a ram based drive if you are feeling especially performance hungry).

PSU: You are going to need some serious wattage (600W bare minimum) for this and it had better be a high quality unit, especially as overclocking is to happen.

As for drives, make the DVD one dual layer and all should be good, if you are going to rip DVD's often might I suggest a seperate drive as they can be faster and will increase your writers lifetime.

HugeCock

Oh My....
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies. If DX10 is on the way...well in 8 months I will just build another computer and give the current one to one of my assistants. My current LGA755 socketed 3.4 Intel overheats like a civ so I want something tough. I use dual monitors and usually keep about 20 applications open...no shit. Sadly my comp is 6 months old and just not doing the trick. As of right now it looks like the COre2 Chips do kick ass...just wierd that the best chip I can find is 2.4 Ghz where my crappy Prescott is 3.4 ghz. Unfortunatly I can't wait and will be building this within the next month.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd actually avoid the graphics cards everyone has mentioned for video work as they're gamer cards ans not as well suited as a workstation card such as NVidia's Quadro or ATI's FireGL cards. PCI express is also they way to go.

I'd also stay away from from ATA hard drives, and at the minimum get a mobo that supports SATA or better get a SCSI controller and drives. Make sure that DVD burner is capable of burning dual layer discs.
smile.gif

Also don't neglect things like IEEE 1394 support if that's what you plan on hooking your camera to. If your not using a digital camera, you'll want a decent frame grabber and you may also need a time base corrector depending on your camera.

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I suggest you wait. Just wait. Intel is coming out with a new line (or recently did) of new cpus which are promising, their core2's have a really nice o/c ability, go to www.overclockers.com for more info, and sign up to their forums.
DX10 cards are coming out, and so is Nvidia's Quad-SLI! That driver needs one hell of a cpu to run its driver to coordinate 4 GPUs, so consider a fast dual-core. You could also wait and see if AMD makes their "reverse-hyperthreading" to make gaming 1337. If you want INSANE gaming, (an ultra-high res display is recommended for quad-sli, read up on tom's hardware forums)
RAM: MAX 2GB. And hope to god that 2GB RAM doesn't switch your memory controller to 2T timings, becuase that is DRAMATICALLY SLOWER than 1T. 8GB of RAM at 2T is still slower than 2GB at 1T.
HDD: if you Got the money, go ahead and buy those 15,000RPM cheetahs with perpendicular read/write as those are probably the fastest of the fast. Possibly in a RAID0. *Drools*
PCI-E is the only way to go if you want a 1337 graphics card, it allows faster speeds than AGP.
For your PSU, make sure it keeeps stable voltages. Get the 700w OCZ PSU. I have it. Works with my DFI Expert board which is really bitchy about current.
Mobo: Get one that is more than you need. You'll need it.
biggrin.gif
Make sure it's a good O/Cr. O/C runs my lyfe!
biggrin.gif

Audio card: XFI i think is the leader. But get your good speakers.
If you want everything watercooled, make sure your case will have alot of 5.25 slots, because you can watercool your HDDs when placed in a waterblock which can fit in the 5.25 slot. You an also get waterblocks for your RAM. But if you want the best of the best, once again; WAIT. just until next year. Then you can get a 1.5KW PSU from PC Power&Cooling and probably still need more power.
NVIDIA SLI KICKS ATI CROSSFIRES ARSE!
AMD KICKS INTELS ARSE MOST OFTEN. 2Ghz AMD ~ 3.5Ghz INTEL.
WATERCOOL YOUR VIDEO CARDS! USE COOLBITS TO O/C!
Have fun!
biggrin.gif

USB has a max rate of 480Mbps (bits) but shares it among ports. Firewire now has a version that maxes at 800Mbps, but most are still 400Mbps. This counts for each individual port as IRQs are not shared (i think)

memyselfandi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies. If DX10 is on the way...well in 8 months I will just build another computer and give the current one to one of my assistants. My current LGA755 socketed 3.4 Intel overheats like a civ so I want something tough. I use dual monitors and usually keep about 20 applications open...no shit. Sadly my comp is 6 months old and just not doing the trick. As of right now it looks like the COre2 Chips do kick ass...just wierd that the best chip I can find is 2.4 Ghz where my crappy Prescott is 3.4 ghz. Unfortunatly I can't wait and will be building this within the next month.

HugeCock:Oh gosh darn it, what am i gonna do with my old computer now?
Memyselfandi: Send it over this way, mkay? lol
smile.gif
nyanya.gif
laugh.gif

Golds

Old Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why water cooling? Air cooling is more than sufficient and water cooling
requires more maintenance? Are you really going to be overclocking that
much?

imgod22222

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the core2 is better than the prescott, because prescott uses netburst, while core2's microarchitecture is much more optimized. think of it this way: your prescott is like a car that goes at 80000RPM, and is at 150mph. The core2 is like a 8000RPM car that can go 150mph. The lesson? Core2 can do more in each clock cycle (RPM) than the prescott. So if you can get a 2.4 core2 to 3.0, it will be MUCH faster than your 3.4.
NOTE: THE difference isnt that huge.
Prescott uses netburst microarchitecture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetBurst
Core2 uses Core microarchitecture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Next_Ge...croarchitecture

HugeCock

Oh My....
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks imgod,
Yea I own a video production company and of course we got the firewire hookups, a few TBs of hard drive space, for my computer I just needed to know what CPU/MOBO Combo to get. And yes Water cooling is important because I have had my systems designed by Alienware, Falcon, Voodoo and I always run em to the grounds with pretty much 24/7 video editing, divx conversions, dvd creating (not burning but writing), flash converting, sound editing....I always seem to redline my PCs and actually found a maintence free water cooling kit for 300 that works on the LGA755 socket....problem is...is it core2 compatible...On that note there is no gaming or overclocking on this rig....just very intesive application running. Time to go get some quotes!

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
Wow, all this talk about high tech computers makes me want to kick the butt of the computer I'm using now, with a 2GHz, a crappy 256mb ram, an old 40gb western digital HDD, and a built in 64 mb for gfx, and it even can't support PCI-E or DDR2...
Thank god the PC at my other home with 3.2 GHz and 1GB RAM which is 64 bit, is arriving at the end of this month, which is atleast halfway decent:
CPU: Intel 64bit 3.2 GHz
RAM:Kingston 1GB
HDD: 120 GB 10,000 RPM Western Digital
GFX:Intel Radeon 9600 128mb with tv-out(I know it's a bit old, but I will upgrade it when i have the ca$h)
Cooling: Liquid cooling from an asain company I can't even spell its name:P

So you think this is actually a bit good?
tongue.gif

imgod22222

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wow... hugecock. you're the first person to ever thank me online. Thnx.
biggrin.gif

DVD writing = burning. They both mean adding data to the disc. As for the LGA775 being compatible with core2, i dunno. Make an account for www.overclockers.com 's forum and ask. Can't help you there, sorry. I'm an AMD fanboy now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Hey, VSauce. Where are your fingers?