Hacking I need some help with modding and updating my friends Wii

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
I guess installing HBC and bootmii if it can be installed to boot2 won't be a problem, that's a very easy and straightforward process, having a cIOS installed after that is easy too.

I'm a little confused about installing IOS's after that tho, do I just download everything from NUSDownloader and install them as WADs with WAD Manager or are they going to need Trucha signing or some such?

I already have some ISO's in my HDD, they've been here since like forever, I don't even know if they're still good or if newer versions are available:

This is what I got
IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad
IOS36-64-v1042.wad
IOS37-64-v2070.wad
IOS38-64-v3609.wad
IOS38-64-v3610.wad
IOS53-64-v4113.wad
IOS55-64-v4633.wad

I have no idea if these are Trucha signed or not, or if they need to be, I've had them here since forever and I guess they are since I installed them at some point on my system.

Another thing I need is some help with getting this 3.3E Wii to 4.0E like I did with mine this spring, I moved from 3.2E to 4.0E doing a completely OFFLINE update since I can't get the Wii's online and using some very early version of NUSDownloader that was still all DOS-like.

It's been so long I honestly can't remember what I did and can't find the offline update guide either.
I also need a guide on what to download with this new NUSDownloader, what to type in and stuff.

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I installed HBC and cIOS36 rev14, HBC runs fine and it detects apps and everything, but half the stuff I tried to boot won't run.

The only thing I managed to get working was the NES emulator and GeckoOS, but Gecko wouldn't boot anything or detect missing IOS's

should I just go ahead and install the IOS's I have?

And USB Loader GX doesn't boot either, just goes to a black screen and stays there

edit: btw the Wii is still on 3.3E, turns out bootmii can't be installed as boot2 so I decided not to mess around with updates and stuff because the thing has no brick protection whatsoever

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can update to 4.2 offline with all the IOS's up to date with xzxero's download package in his guide. If you're really insistent on not going up to 4.2, you can just replace the IOS60 v6400 wad with IOS60 v6174
and install 4.0/4.1 (might as well do 4.1, same thing with a WSR bug fix.)

Make sure to not use that IOS60 wad in the package though if you're going to do that though. It's a stub and installing 4.0/4.1 on it will brick you.

General IOS's don't need the trucha bug in them. The only somewhat useful ones to have them in are IOS36 (from the Trucha Bug Restorer in order to install a cIOS in the first place and for AnyTitleDeleter/preloader I believe) and on your system menu IOS to be able to run wad's from the sd card menu.

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks, but I'll worry about updating later, I really just want to get apps and games working on his Wii right now on 3.3E and nothing works.

Reboot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being up to date would help, if you follow the upgrade guides you should have a working wii when you are done. No point in trying to make it work, then worrying about upgrading after the fact.

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Turns out the Wii runs everything, even NSMBW except it runs stuff whenever it feels like it.
I dunno whats up, we tried two different cards, both work on my system perfectly but on my friend's they load stuff whenever they feel like it.

Like HBC always detects the apps, but when you try to boot one, whether it's USB Loader GX or the WAD Manager, emulators or whatever, more often than not they don't run, however they they do boot up everything works 100%

I tried Muramasa, NSMBW, Mario Galaxy, Kolonoa and everything works.

Another thing that doesn't work is game backups from discs using Gecko but we don't care about that so whatever.

I'm just trying to figure out now why things don't work all the time like they should.

Reboot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And by upgrading you'll know exactly how its setup, and things should work 100% rather then having random people guess at problems, not knowing exactly how you have it setup. You seem to be going at this all backwards to me, but suit yourself...

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Everything works 100% now, we deleted the internet channel or something, I'm not sure what it was, the guy my friend bought the Wii from downloaded it, the thing was 1600+ blocks, once we deleted that everything started booting no problem.

Works like a charm now.

And guys, I will update it to 4.1 or whatever, but we can do that later, I know it's safe and all but I don't want to take even the slightest risk with this system now, I'll let my friends play his games for now and we'll update some other time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @AncientBoi my condolences to both of you +2