I need some help after installing Wood, R4 menu vanishes...?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by karloz25, Mar 24, 2011.

1. karloz25
    OP

Member karloz25 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have a R4i-Gold that supports Wood.

I am new to Wood, and have always used just the Cart makers FW, so my kids are used to the easy to navigate menu.

I installed the Base FW from the Carts official site, and the menu shows up, but after installing the Wood update for the Cart, the Menu goes away.

Anyway to keep the old Gui with the Wood FW?

Also what is that third option in the menu that says "wood"? What is this for?

Thanks Guys!

Great Community [​IMG]

[Reference Pics]

Before Wood (with base cart fw):
    [​IMG]

After Wood FW installed:
    [​IMG]

2. Sausage Head

Banned Sausage Head Lord Sausage LXIX

Netherlands
    Ah, you messed up the pictures. Now I understand you a bit more.

The third option boots WOODR4.NDS, which is, obviously, WOOD R4iGold

If you want to install WOOD R4, you can't use the default interface.

3. karloz25
    OP

United States
    Thank you for your reply....

I'm confused now... lol

So I should be using only the NDS file for wood? I have been using the RPG,DS_MENU and NDS file, and OVER-WRITTING the originals from the base fw.

I did notice that the WOOD releases come in many different download formats, NDS, files, etc... why?

I guess I just don't understand what Wood is mainly for? I thought it was a independent fw far better than any manufacture fw, more compatible.

4. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    Different types of R4s require different types of files to run, actually. Some R4s cannot run Wood R4 without first booting into the firmware made by the developers of the cart.

Wood R4 overwrites the interface of the firmware you had before, therefore if you CAN run Wood R4 then you cannot get that interface back. Fortunately, the menus of Wood R4 are set up similarly to that of the menu you had before, so it's not difficult to adjust at all.

There is also the added bonus of compatibility with newer games. It is updated fairly quickly so the firmware will be compatible with more clean (unpatched) ROM files. It doesn't make an R4 as good as a Supercard DS Two, but it comes close. However, it MAY break a homebrew or two sometimes, but that usually isn't a problem.

-----------

Because your cart had the WoodR4.nds file, I do not know if you need it. If you can run games after installing the default Wood R4 build with all the different files, however, you can go ahead and delete the WoodR4.nds file and play games normally.

Obvious things in a spoiler:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

If that wood look to the interface is a bit harsh (For me, it was a bit overpowering because I use the DS's clock and calendar and could not read those items very well), it can be changed with a skin from NDS Themes. To get a skin for Wood R4, you will have to go to the Acekard 2 section. The skins for Wood R4 are set up identically to the Acekard 2, so all you need to do is drag and drop the files.

5. karloz25
    OP

United States
    Great info!

I have noticed that the base firmware has the third option "Wood". I selected it and it booted to the Wood Gui.....? So my guess is that I have both FW's? Does this sound right?

Also my kids love Moonshell for Movie Playback, and I have found that Woods Gui has too many steps for my kids (ages under 5) to navigate; They have to click micro sd then navigate down to moonshell nds, load it (takes longer than stock fw for some reason) and then renavigate the folders to the movie section, and moonshell gui is non existent, so controls are tricky as they are all down with buttons and not stylus.

Sorry if it sound like i am being picky, I am just getting info. [​IMG]
    I made the switch to Wood compatible Cart because the R$i card i used didn't support the new 1.4.1 FW, and i was forced to buy another cart, so i read up on wood, and found out it can update to newer nintendo fw. This is why i am new to wood.

Thanks for your reply.

6. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    Using a Nintendo DS for movies isn't the greatest thing in the world. The quality is bad and the screen is so tiny. However, I have heard there are ways to make Moonshell 2 (the sequel/update to normal Moonshell) become the default firmware, with Wood R4 being used only as a ROM loader (You may need WoodR4.nds, so do not delete that file in the case that this information is correct). It may be a bit confusing at first, but it gives you the compatibility and the movies at the same time without being too confusing.

Also, Moonshell 2 DOES support stylus controls, even if they are a tad finicky. You may have to adjust the icon size, but it is no problem once you get used to the interface.

Don't quote me on this, though. I am not an expert on Moonshell software as I have only ever used Moonshell 2 to test the text reader and video functions it has.

You may have as many firmwares on your flash cart as you wish (if the firmwares are supported), provided you have a default firmware and the others are .nds files.

7. karloz25
    OP

United States
    Again, this is why this site is Awesome! Thanks again for you information u provided. Thank You!

I will read up more on Wood and Moonshell 2. [​IMG]