Translation I need help with Tinke

Astral_fox

New Member
OP
Newbie
Joined
Nov 26, 2021
Messages
3
Trophies
0
Age
16
XP
17
Country
Brazil
Sorry for the writing errors, as I am Brazilian, and my English is not very good.

I've been trying to translate the Rune Factory 3 game for some time, and I'm using Tinke, and some other tools. The problem is when I change the original file to the translated one (in this case "rf3Archive.arc_5782.bin") that seems to work, but when I save the rom, and go check it out, the modified files are back to the original.

I'm not sure what's going on, I'm still a beginner in rom hacking, and most of the tutorials I found were just for modifying images.
If any of you would take the time to help me with this issue, I would appreciate it.
 

Astral_fox

New Member
OP
Newbie
Joined
Nov 26, 2021
Messages
3
Trophies
0
Age
16
XP
17
Country
Brazil
Hello,

Can you describe more precisely each step that you do when you try to change a file and save the ROM?
Thank you very much for replying.

So I'm using CUE's runefactory tools to transform "rf3Archive.arc_5782.bin" into .txt, make my modifications and then change it from .txt to .new which I change to .bin (I'm told I should do it that), in this part everything goes right.

When I open Tinke, I select the rom and go straight to where the file "rf3Archive.arc_5782.bin" is, select it and press "change file" and change to the modified "rf3Archive.arc_5782.bin", without changing anything in the filename, plus I even open the file in Tinke's hex reader to check if everything is fine, then press "Save ROM" and put the rom in a separate folder.

When I emulate the game none of the dialog lines have been modified, and when I go to parse the file in both Tinke and a hex reader, I see that the files have reverted to the original.

I'm totally new to rom hack so I have no idea what might be going on.
 

asakura9

Member
Newcomer
Joined
Sep 6, 2012
Messages
9
Trophies
0
XP
252
Country
France
Hm, I cannot really say that you're doing something wrong.
I can suggest you to try to use dslazy instead of Tinke to unpack the ROM, change your file in the generated folder then re-pack to a new ROM to see if it changes something.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Astral_fox

Astral_fox

New Member
OP
Newbie
Joined
Nov 26, 2021
Messages
3
Trophies
0
Age
16
XP
17
Country
Brazil
Well, very important step before saving new rom is set the archive file and click "Pack" button, it should do the job if build in packer works fine.
Wow! Thank you so much, it was something so simple that I didn't know and I let it go, I'll finally be able to do something, seriously bro, you have my eternal gratitude.
 
  • Like
Reactions: plasturion
General chit-chat
Help Users
    HelloShitty @ HelloShitty: Hello