i need help getting flipnote studio on a japanese dsi

ilikesoup

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
so i recently bought a japanese dsi and i can download flipnote studio on a flashcart but it doesn't work because of region lock, i looked online for a japanese flipnote studio rom but it's really hard to find, if someone can link me a japanese rom of flipnote studio that would be really helpful

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Last edited by Nikokaro,

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Flipnote not working on a flashcard is because DSiWare can't be run on flashcards, not because of region locking.

To run DSiWare ROMs you'll need TWiLight Menu++ (and maybe Unlaunch installed), see the guide Nikokaro sent for how to get TWiLight Menu++ and Unlaunch, and TWiLight doesn't have region locking so the non-Japanese version should work fine from it.

Reactions: banjo2

ilikesoup

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Flipnote not working on a flashcard is because DSiWare can't be run on flashcards, not because of region locking.

To run DSiWare ROMs you'll need TWiLight Menu++ (and maybe Unlaunch installed), see the guide Nikokaro sent for how to get TWiLight Menu++ and Unlaunch, and TWiLight doesn't have region locking so the non-Japanese version should work fine from it.
no it is because it's dsiware, i am not using an R4 but i saw the icons in the rom folder just like any other game but when i opened the game it didn't work

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
no it is because it's dsiware, i am not using an R4 but i saw the icons in the rom folder just like any other game but when i opened the game it didn't work
I'm a bit confused by your message, did you mean to say "no it is not because it's dsiware, i am using an R4 but [...]"?

Assuming you are actually using an R4 (or other flashcard) like you said in your first message, it being a DSiWare is the problem. It's normal that it shows up because DSiWare are still the exact same file format as any other DS game, however they won't actually work on a flashcard because they expect to be run in DSi mode and that's simply not possible on a flashcard*. You'll need to install TWiLight Menu++ if you want to use DSiWare ROMs.

If you aren't using an R4 (or other flashcard), then how are you trying to run it? TWiLight Menu++? If so, then you may need to install Unlaunch as that improves DSiWare compatibility. If you've also already got Unlaunch then maybe try using hiyaCFW, it has perfect DSiWare compatibility, however you should be fine with just TWiLight Menu++.

*technically it is sorta, if you install TWiLight Menu++ on both your DSi and the flashcard then a couple DSiWare can be sorta run from the flashcard, but compatibility is very low and its rather pointless as you need to have TWiLight on your SD card anyways.

Reactions: banjo2

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*technically it is sorta, if you install TWiLight Menu++ on both your DSi and the flashcard then a couple DSiWare can be sorta run from the flashcard, but compatibility is very low and its rather pointless as you need to have TWiLight on your SD card anyways.
TWiLight Menu++ (by default) copies the DSiWare to a temporary location on the SD card to work around the compatibility issues.

Reactions: banjo2 and Pk11

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: