I need help buying new PSP 3000 for homebrew

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by PR0r, Mar 20, 2010.

Mar 20, 2010
  1. PR0r
    OP

Member PR0r GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I am looking for a PSP3000 to install homebrew and save/load games to memory.
    My girlfriend just brought me a PSP 3000 with Gran Turismo bundled and it had firmware 5.70 preinstalled. Having now done a little research I know that this firmware version cannot run custom firmware yet. We took it back and managed to get our money back.

Apparently the bundled PSP 3000's have the v5.70 firmware.

If i was to go and buy a standalone PSP 3000 what would my chances be of getting one with an earlier firmware, (pre 5.03, according to the How to softmod your PSP guide in this forum.) so i can softmod it?

Is there any way of knowing what firmware is installed before buying, say by looking for a manufactured date or serial etc or some way else that could help.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. FullMetalMega

Newcomer FullMetalMega Advanced Member

United States
  3. sword414

Member sword414 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    wow... 5.7? Makes me feel lucky... I bought the Gran Turismo bundle near Christmas and it was 5.02.
    You can always try getting a 1000 which is like 100% hackable regardless of firmware.

4. PR0r
    OP

Australia
    I managed to get Resistance Retribution bundle with 5.02 so i am good to go!

Have come into a problem though, we went and brought a 16gb SanDisk Memory Stick PRO Duo from a computer store, took it home and am told by the psp it needs to be formatted. So i go into "Format Memory Stick" in the System Settings and get an instant "Format Failed." (80220089). This is bullshit! The PSP is brand new, the memory stick is brand new. The memory stick is definately supported so I dont know what to do.

My pc doesnt have a card reader to try format it with either. Is this a common problem or am I unlucky? Cost me $74! [​IMG]

5. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    Sounds like your mem stick was bad from the start. It's not a PSP problem, but a memory stick problem most likely.

6. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Since you bought it from a computer shop you could take it back.

The other option is that maybe it does not support FAT (the filesystem created by the PSP formatter), try formatting on your computer although then you will have to create all the relevent folders yourself.

7. PR0r
    OP

Australia
    I left the psp with "faulty" memory card with the store yesterday and the tech has looked at it today and concluded theres no apparent problem.
    Ill pick it up tomorrow and have a go using the usb method and format it via my pc. Hopefully I can get it to work. If not i lose 20% of my purchase price to return it! Which i will have to argue for :/
    Anyways if i am able to get it formatted tomorrow night, these folders you refer to, would you be kind enough to list them? Thanks for you help [​IMG] Will keep you posted

8. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    If you're unlucky, they may update your PSP and still find the card is faulty.

9. Jamstruth

United Kingdom
    So he didn't try and format it via the PSP? Curious... Most likely card just doens't support FAT

10. PR0r
    OP

Australia
    I got the psp back from the shop today. Was stressing a bit that they might have updated the firmware, but the didn't.

I have the card back too, have tried formatting it via USB. Windows detects it but cannot complete the format. Its so annoying!!
    Using windows 7 disk management.. I can see the drive (I:) which has 14.9 gig free (100%) and is a RAW file system. Formatting fails with this too.
    I have EASEUS Partition Master but the drive doesnt even show up in there.

Have tried a basic dos format but it doesnt work either.

How am I going to get this to format. There has to be a way! Can the PSP support FAT32? or only FAT?
    Maybe its readonly but i have no idea how to change that..

Any ideas?

11. Jamstruth

United Kingdom
    PSP definitely supports FAT32 (I had to format my Photofast to this), the option should be in a dropdown menu called "File System" or something in Windows Formatter

12. manobon

Member manobon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The PSP should Definitely be able to format it- but you might want to invest in a USB-card reader, just for the future (they're super cheap on websites, more expensive in retail stores).

I've never formatted the card through the PSP/PSP's USB connection, but it might be a Windows 7 issue?

Sorry for not being much help- congrats on finding a 5.02 3000 model though!

13. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Probably a problem with the card. Take it back and argue that they sold you a dud.

14. Jamstruth

United Kingdom
    If they try to format it and it works then congratz you now have a working memory stick [​IMG]

15. PR0r
    OP

Australia
    I took the card back this morning, indeed it was a dud! I was given a replacement and it formatted via the PSP straight away.

I got seriously lucky finding the 5.02 PSP, we were expecting to pay $299 but managed to find the Resistance Bundle for only $169! and they had about 6 or so left on sale! (AUS$)

Now that im up and running, its time to follow the softmodding guide. Thanks alot for your help so far [​IMG]

16. PR0r
    OP

Australia
    After about half an hour of trying to get chickhen to load, I got it to work by putting a UMD in right before browsing the image directory.

Im now running 5.03 ChickHEN R2. I feel so newbie as what to do next.. I have read not power the psp off as id have to do the cfw install process again.

Im a little lost as to what I should do/install next. I want to boot my games from memory stick in the end. So have a permenant CFW is the direction i want to head, if that is possible.

Hellcats Flasher then use Gen updater? If someone could point a noob in the right direction it would be great

17. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    Not possible because its a 3k.

18. PR0r
    OP

Australia
  19. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    I'm sure you can't get a perm CFW on it. I'm also sure you can run a partial CFW on it that you have to activate every time you fully shut it off.

20. Jamstruth

United Kingdom
    You can flash a permanent CFW but it will brick.

You need to use 5.03GEN-C which is a temporary CFW which dissappears when you turn your PSP off fully (though I remember a plugin that let you turn all the way off for GEN-B). Putting the PSP into sleep-mode will keep the CFW but will drain battery