Hacking I need advice on LU64 and LU65 wii consoles

chillyloop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Next Monday I plan to go out and buy a brand new nintendo wii console in the UK. If I get a console that is LU64 or LU65, would I be able to play backup games from a USB hard drive with it? Basically is there any wii console out in the UK at the moment which cannot once soft modded, play backup games from a USB hard drive?

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All Wii's are capable of playing backups. On a LU64-type Wii on 4.0 you'll need to install BootMii then use cboot2 to get cIOS Rev11 or greater installed and there you go. But chances are it'll be on 3.4 and it'll be even easier. Just install IOS16 and then cIOS Rev11

chillyloop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
FenrirWolf said:
All Wii's are capable of playing backups. On a LU64-type Wii on 4.0 you'll need to install BootMii then use cboot2 to get cIOS Rev11 or greater installed and there you go. But chances are it'll be on 3.4 and it'll be even easier. Just install IOS16 and then cIOS Rev11

Thank you. Just saying I get a wii that is LU65 type, can these play backups also?

What are the chances of me getting one of these consoles, quite high or low?

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LU64, LU65, it's all the same thing. I think they actually have a different serial in the PAL region (LEH11 or something like that) but they have the same issues as the LU64's.

And if it's a new Wii your chances of getting one is high. But like I said, you'll be able to mod it no matter what unless they just barely released a LU1337 that explodes when you try to BannerBomb it. =P

wiijam

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm a newb... and ended up with one of these "less hackable" consoles. Lots of useful info and helpful people around here and other sites. I have mine running backups from DVD-r and USB HDD.

There are a few threads on various sites that discuss hacking LU64+.

If you get a 3.4, I think this thread will help you...

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=152406

... although you should install HBC first using something like Bannerbomb. Hopefully doesn't explode
biggrin.gif
I'm fairly certain you'll need at least CIOS rev 12 to get your USB HDD working. I installed 13b to get mine going. Didn't try any others. Be careful what you install, since you risk bricking. Follow instructions carefully unless you know what you're doing.

If you get a 4.0, I think this thread will help you...

http://www.wiihacks.com/wii-custom-softwar...s-menu-4-a.html

They suggest CIOS rev 12, but maybe it's because it was written when only 12 was out.

Is there a big diff between rev 12 and rev 13 a/b?

Anyway, I'm just waiting to see if there's a way to brick protect these units. I feel a bit exposed, so I'm mostly running everying through HBC and keeping changes minimal.

chillyloop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks everyone.

All I want to be able to do with my new wii console is play backup games from an external hard drive. I am not bothered about all these other fancy things really, I am not one to keep messing about with things. As long as when I buy it I am able to play my games I have downloaded, I will be really happy.

Does it take very long to soft mod these new wii consoles, a few hours maybe? :/

Liquidant

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got my wii less than a week ago and have been trolling the forums myself.

the only problem i have come across is clarifiying the serial and working out if this falls into the LU64 - 65 area

like a previous poster said the UK wii has a serial of LEH** mine is LEH24 with version 4.0E

I'd be intrested to know if any other people from the UK have had success in softmodding these without to much hassle.

*edit*

just loaded on HBC using the bannerbomb guide and the hackmii installer v0.2 on PAL version 4.0E with serial LEH24

havn't tried anything else yet untill i'm sure i won't brick

wiijam

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
@ chillyloopp - if I knew then what little I know now... maybe 30 mins out of box to hacked playing backups from both DVD and USB HDD (assuming quick format works on your HDD). In reality, it took me a week of reading, reading, reading... figuring out what I needed to download... the longest part was figuring out that, for my console, I needed to install another CIOS (and which one) to get USB functionality. The one in LU64fix seems to be fairly limited. That info was hard for me to find and not obvious to a newb. Getting comfortable with taking the risk to do all the steps took awhile too.

@ Liquidant - ya, maybe someone with an LEH can help you LEH guys out. Maybe you can check or post in the thread about the LU64+hack with 4.0s. I'm guessing that if the Hackmii installer says that you can only install Bootmii as IOS, then you have one of the "less hackable" consoles. If it says you can install Bootmii as Boot2, then you probably aren't one of us... ah... it would be so nice to have Bootmii as Boot2...

mtb-bfh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wiijam said:
If it says you can install Bootmii as Boot2, then you probably aren't one of us... ah... it would be so nice to have Bootmii as Boot2...

Not the case. I'm pretty sure the new boot1 predates the new "Unhackable" Wii.

There might be something you can find in the BootMii installer logs or somesuch to indicate that you have one of these newer units, but the only true test that I know of is to upgrade to 4.0, and then follow one of the "How to hack 4.0 with bannerbomb" guides up to the point where you've downgraded IOS35. Running WadManager (1.4) at this point and selecting IOS35 will cause the Wii to freeze and require a power-off.

Wack0

Trophies
XP
Country
My Wii begins with LEH20* .. it's fully hackable, everything works on it .. bootmii installs as boot2 etc.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
chillyloop said:
How hard are these new wii consoles to softmod? Some people are saying it's hard and some are saying it's easy.
it depends on experience, and how much you know about what you're doing.

like if something goes wrong do you know how to fix it? are are you gonna come here and ask questions taking up even more time? ya dig?
QUOTE(Wack0 @ Jun 10 2009, 06:23 PM) My Wii begins with LEH20* .. it's fully hackable, everything works on it .. bootmii installs as boot2 etc.
well done

personaly i havent heard anyone complain about a UK wii being unhackable, but i may be wrong of course.

my mate gave me a wii about a month old and i managed to hack it fairly quickly, given a few things threw me off a bit by not installing, but a bit of common sense fixed it lol

olliepop2000

Trophies
XP
Country
The highest serial i have hacked but had the new boot2 was LEH250 and came with Systemmenu 3.4.
I have also done an LEF118 but it came with the new boot2 and systemmenu 3.4?
No problems downgrading/upgrading IOS.

wiijam

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
@ mtb-bfh - thanks for the clarification and your reply in the other thread. I've read a number of your posts about experimenting with brick protecting these consoles... any luck yet?

I thought I read that "less hackable" consoles exist in other regions as well. Someone listed a serial for Taiwan... not sure where else... It would be an interesting statement if they only introduce these harder to hack consoles in volume in the U.S / North America.

mtb-bfh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wiijam said:
@ mtb-bfh - thanks for the clarification and your reply in the other thread. I've read a number of your posts about experimenting with brick protecting these consoles... any luck yet?
None. These consoles are running the same system menu (IOS60) as any other, so the same hacks should work, it's just a matter of getting an application to apply them. Preloader tells me I need a fakesign-patched IOS36 even though I already have one, and is no longer under development, so seems to be a dead end. I suppose I could wander over to the StartPatch thread and try to shake things up.

QUOTEI thought I read that "less hackable" consoles exist in other regions as well. Someone listed a serial for Taiwan... not sure where else... It would be an interesting statement if they only introduce these harder to hack consoles in volume in the U.S / North America.
I've heard the same. Lacking anything that pops up and explicitly tells you "Congrats, you have an unhackable Wii!!!" I never know if such reports are genuine or just made by somebody who didn't know their way around softmodding in the first place and couldn't get things working. If you look at some of the older threads, it took a while for anybody to be convinced there was even such a thing as an "unhackable" new Wii.

SethG911

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really much to do with your situation but an interesting story none the less... and nice reference for those sending in their old Wii's for repair/replacement.

I recently sent in my old LU56 Wii in for repair to Nintendo USA due to an overheated GPU caused from the fan failing and me not noticing. I had also heavily modded this Wii including BootMii (as boot2) and the USB Backuploader. Before sending it back I restored my nand to pre-mod status using bootmii and then using the new hackmii installer, I uninstalled HBC, dvdx, and bootmii itself. This effectively returned me to "factory default settings" as far as modding is concerned. I have since received word that Nintendo is sending me a "new" wii with the serial LU55... essentially an even older version than the one I originally sent... AWESOME! I have yet to see if this new Wii is equally hackable, ie. it may just be new Wii parts in an old case with an "old serial".

So I guess if worse comes to worse you could always jam your fan, overheat your gpu, and send it in an get a "new" old one.
smile.gif
I am half joking of course... but still, kind of an interesting thought.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey