Hacking I need advice on buying... Should I get DSTwo, or stick with my R4?

Which should I buy?

• Total voters

jrk190

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, here's the deal. I've really wanted to get GBA emulation on my DS, but the only one that does this is the DSTwo. Thing is, is it worth my money? How is the GUI and support? Is there any way to run Wood? How easy/complicated is it? I need some advice, because I want to give my girlfriend my R4 when I get a new flashcart. Should I?

Fyrus

Artilleur Carmin
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wood was never made for DSTWO, but its native GUI is easy enough to understand. As for the GBA emulation, only reaaaaally problematic games (Golden Sun series and Classic NES series comes to mind), every GBA game runs almost flawlessly.

Reactions: 2 people

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use the DSTwo and have had no problems. The UI is quite easy to understand and it can be modded if you really feel the need.

The emulators for SNES/GBA run for the most part, but are not perfect. I did not like the SNES emulator at all, and since Golden Sun was one the GBA games I was wanting to play that kind of made me stop with the GBA. But as long as you stick with games that are not known to cause problems with other emulators for other systems you should be good.

My favorite features about the cart are easily the multiple save-states and cheat support. I have only used my girlfriends R4 to make sure it was updated for her 3DS, so I don't know if those features are present or not.

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
My friend had an R4i and it broke down really quickly. I use a SCDS2 and it works great and its very simple to use and customize as well and i'm sure alot of us will suggest you should get that instead and yes its a little more expensive but its worth it in my eyes.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Okay, here's the deal. I've really wanted to get GBA emulation on my DS, but the only one that does this is the DSTwo. Thing is, is it worth my money? How is the GUI and support? Is there any way to run Wood? How easy/complicated is it? I need some advice, because I want to give my girlfriend my R4 when I get a new flashcart. Should I?

I'm sure you've answered your own question by the wanting to play GBA on your DS.

The SCDS2 is a very good card, with good support and i feel it's worth the money

R4Liam

Artsy Dude
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
The GUI is perfectly fine, looks nice and runs games just as well as wood (although wood is probably updated quicker). In terms of the gba emulation, every game I have wanted to play on it has run perfectly fine. It just doesn't feel right playing gba on the ds (I even thought this using actual cartridges in slot-2) In my opinion you are better off using PC emulators for a better experience because on the dstwo emulator the game does not use the whole ds screen :/

I am so glad I have a DSTWO with all of its great features. If you have the money, buy it.

cici1028

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there no doubt that dstwo is a most popular card and works really well, but is much expensive than a r4igold 3ds, i would like to buy a r4igold , i do own one

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My favorite features about the cart are easily the multiple save-states and cheat support. I have only used my girlfriends R4 to make sure it was updated for her 3DS, so I don't know if those features are present or not.
I like the ability to take snapshots on the GBA emulator.

I never used that since I havent messed around with it much, but that is a pretty neat feature :)

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no doubt dstwo is the best!
I like the video format, dstwo can support many video formats but r4i gold 3ds just support DPG like other cards.
will i say the only disadvantage is play time is short because dstwo need much more power than other cards?
You can use r4i gold 3ds to play 5 hours games, but use dstwo, you just can play 3 hours.
That's not true, the DSTWO only takes more battery life when using a program that actually accesses the CPU, just playing commercial ROMs it will actually last longer than the r4i gold.

This set consisted of running each flashcard that I own running a commercial ROM (Sonic Rush) in 'Demo mode'

• Ak2i + ROM: 7hrs 13min
  • N5 + ROM: 6hr 04min NB. This had to use a 2Gb SD (Apacer) card as it couldn't handle SDHC
  • DSTwo + ROM ['Clean' mode]: 6hrs 04min
  • DSTwo + ROM ['Patch' mode]: 5hrs 32min
  • R4iGold + ROM : 4hrs 15min
  • M3iZero + ROM: 3hrs 44min
Conclusion:
It does seem as though flashcards do affect battery life, but not necessarly for the worse.. some seem to actually give longer battery life than that of running a commercial game

keine

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wood is considered great because it brings some R4 models up to speed with other flash carts, there's no need to run it on the DSTwo.

If you're after GBA, I'd really recommend a PSP instead, much better emulation.

I second this. While the GBA emulation is accurate it is not 100% speed. I still detect a little lag in all my games and it bugs me. People will argue with me on this, but this is my experience. Say compared to an EZFlash. SNES emulation is non-working in my opinion. Or rather than getting a PSP, get a slot1 solution, edit slot 2.. They work 1:1.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What does that have to do with the R4i? Jack shit. That's not part of the comparison, so why is it being brought up?

I mean that's like decrying a candidate for office based on things that the position in question don't involve.
I think I got myself confused here :unsure: I didn't think that message out before I posted it and even I noticed how pointless it was.
I should really read the main post and think my posts out before I post. Please ignore me on this one, I seem to have goofed.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah I mean when it comes to things like GBA emulation and stuff the DSTwo isn't the best choice for, I'll tell people "Get a Slot-2" or "Get another device", but this one was about DS games, which is why I was WTFing at your post. XD
I had an idea, the idea sounded right in my head, then it fell flat the moment it left my brain. That happens to everyone from time to time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: is it difficult?