I need advice for my Dog that has bitten someone.

Does a Dog deserve a second chance if it has hurt someone?

• Yes

Votes: 23 85.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going through a bit of a rough time right now and would honestly like to hear some opinions from people that hopefully also own pets, or unfortunately may have dealt with the same situation.

My Dog is my best friend, I've owned him pretty much since I started dating my Girlfriend 5 years ago. He was like our baby, we got him as a puppy, a little Mastiff/German Shepard mix.

He has been fantastic for all 5 years up until about 7 months ago, when we got our second dog, Titan, A Great Dane. The Great Dane gives our dog a hard time, he tries to play with him too much and stresses him out a bit.

My mastiff starts to get irritated easily lately. We didn't think much of it until I came home from work today, my father sat me down, and told me that the kids have a friend over. My dog, the second he saw the kid, went to "greet him". The kid is afraid of dogs. It's assumed that he smelled the kids fear, thought it was hostile, I have no idea. All I know is he bit the kids hand.

Not enough to cause serious damage, but enough to break the skin. My dad put the dogs away and they have been away all day today. The past 4 hours or so have just been discussion on 2 things.

Do we find intensive training for the dogs? Or do we put them down?

The Great Dane has always been aggressive and this conversation isn't the first time we've had it, but this is the first time something has actually happened because of it, and not even from the suspected dog.

My dad is ready for either option, and I just have no idea what the hell to do. My dad doesn't think they deserve the chance, and is reluctant to put the money down (about 5 grand) to get them the best training they could receive.

Does a Dog deserve a second chance? Can my Dog even be trained to revert his anxious behavior? He has never acted this way around me ever. But I'm not stupid enough to realize he couldn't cause harm to anyone given the chance.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Seek professional dog training. That kid's parents can have the dog taken away and killed on top of other legal troubles. This kid's family might be okay with it but the next one might not.

"smelled the kids fear" is no excuse for that kind of behavior. I don't know how the law is in NC in particular but this stuff tends to go in favor of the victim. You know, the victim who was attacked and is even more afraid of dogs now.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You have to keep in mind that this was a stranger - the dog will naturally defend the territory. If you want to introduce a dog to someone, grab that someone's hand and let the dog sniff it, show the dog that it's okay. Most such incidents are caused by owners poorly introducing strangers to the dogs, you have to do it the right way. If the dog wanted to properly attack, he wouldn't just go for the hand. Try training first and get help of an expert, putting dogs down is the last resort, never the go-to scenario.

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should be more careful about who the dog is around now, but you shouldn't put him down over it. Chances are he did something, intentionally or not, to provoke the dog. Being afraid does make dogs do these things. You should keep the dog away from kids without a proper introduction and see how he reacts first. It would probably be for the better to keep the dogs separated if its making him more irritable.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
A dog normally follows the footsteps of what his owner teaches him/her so if his/her behaviour is rather 'impolite' that's something that can be solved. I had a female dog of which she was never hostile, nor bark nor rude in any way even when my nephews/niece treated her more as a toy than an animal.

She's with a family relative that I try to see every summer so it's as though she's gone and her manners are as good as always.

P.S.: The husky dog who had his eyes ripped off by the owner deserves to be sentenced for life or worse. Even if he suffered from keratitis it's still no reason to have done this as it's such an awful thing for the poor animal who was already in pain only just to have his life fucked even worse. Search for 'Husky com olhos vazados abandonado' if you really want to read more about it (with Google translator if necessary).

falconcrest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i say it depends on the reason that the dog bit him.inf the kid just approached the dog and it bit him,then yes have it put down cause there may be a good chance of it happening again.if the dog was provoked it is still bad.on that note i have dog and i live just next door to my mother who has kids around alot.she told me (and him)that if he bit one of the children around that she would bring out her .35 and shoot him. he bites me and he might just get away with it but a child,no.if i know my mother well enough,she will certainly hold true to what she said.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I was raised around dogs all my life, and as such we've had a couple incidents like this before. Foxi made a great point, it's all about how you introduce strangers to your dog and how you train your dog to react to strangers. As Foxi mentioned, you want to have your dog sniff around any stranger who will be in your home for an extended period of time. It usually doesn't take long, and if it's a kid who is afraid of dogs just sit them down for a second and let the dog get a feel for them and they'll be fine.

And honestly, you don't need to spend tons of money on a trainer, either, you can put all that money and effort you'd save just doing it yourself.

Anfroid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a German Shepherd, he was large for his breed. He attacked two kids on the same day... On my birthday, one was sent to the hospital for a couple weeks and the other had minor wounds. That was when he was roughly three years old and after we gave him disciplinary training we was the most well behaved dog I have ever had. I was even terrified of that dog but he became loveable. Had him for 13 total years.... So I would say dogs should get a second chance if the owner is willing to put the time and effort to train them properly.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
And honestly, you don't need to spend tons of money on a trainer, either, you can put all that money and effort you'd save just doing it yourself.
I only mentioned "getting help from an expert" because I don't know if chavo's dogs "respect" him and treat him as their "alpha" which is really something both his dogs and him have to be trained in. They shouldn't be on edge in his present, I'd imagine they'd be more relaxed in their "safe place".

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
it's not your dog's fault. it's the human's fault. please don't put him down. just inform people who wants to approach your dog (especially kids) to know how to handle dogs.

even the super-duper-cute corgis can be aggressive if they didn't have proper socialization.

I still remember the days when my dogs died, until now I still feel sad because I couldn't do anything for them. :(

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only mentioned "getting help from an expert" because I don't know if chavo's dogs "respect" him and treat him as their "alpha" which is really something both his dogs and him have to be trained in. They shouldn't be on edge in his present, I'd imagine they'd be more relaxed in their "safe place".
My mastiff and me have a fantastic relationship. The problem is I'm really the only one he actually obeys, and when I am not home he gets a little riled up and doesn't listen as much to my parents or younger brothers.

The Great Dane on the other hand, listens to no one. He was overly babied as a puppy (my mom used to just carry him everywhere in the house) and is so stubborn and hyperactive, he's been a challenge to attempt to even train how to sit down.

When both dogs are around each other, the Great Dane tries to mess with my Mastiff so much, it prompts "fights" that are sometimes playful, sometimes a bit more aggressive. We should have really taken it as a sign that the mastiff was getting a little too irritated lately but I don't think any of us actually believed he'd be short tempered enough to bite someone.

My parents are going to try and seek some expert help in how to properly train our dogs, because we all admit there's a lot we could have done better.

Our only fear is that, because he has bitten someone, he now has to go on record at the animal hospital (per North Carolina law) that he HAS bitten someone.

So if a situation like this ever happens again, my family won't have a choice in the matter, and that's what scares me more than anything.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is it common for Americans to kill their dogs when they bite?

It seems so, I find it inconceivable that you would put your dog down for one hand bite.
Train him, get rid of the other dog as in making them live in different places.
Perhaps having them together is not a good idea, as you say, makes the dog stress like shit.
Walk you dog often if he is so stressed.
I don't know, but the easy path of "putting it down" is... inhumanly nasty. Hell, it is "your best friend" in your own words.

If you would be not able of taking care of your dog (as in exercising, training, and so) you should have thought about it before you got it.

PS: Of course if the dog is all the time having this aggressive behaviour (not just one hand bite), even after training, then you should put it down.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So if a situation like this ever happens again, my family won't have a choice in the matter, and that's what scares me more than anything.
At least you'll have tried. Putting him down right now means not giving him not even a chance, which is cruel, imho. Everyone does stupid stuff.

IMHO, you should give the Great Dane away - the Mastiff will keep being aggressive if the Great Dane stresses him all day.

Reactions: Coto and chavosaur

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems so, I find it inconceivable that you would put your dog down for one hand bite.
Train him, get rid of the other dog as in making them live in different places.
Perhaps having them together is not a good idea, as you say, makes the dog stress like shit.
Walk you dog often if he is so stressed.
I don't know, but the easy path of "putting it down" is... inhumanly nasty. Hell, it is "your best friend" in your own words.

If you would be not able of taking care of your dog (as in exercising, training, and so) you should have thought about it before you got it.
For the record, it's not as "Inhumanly simple" as you're making it out to be. And it's also not even my decision. I'm not the one willing to put my dog down, that would be my father, as HE is the one that has younger children in the house that he shows concern for. A well deserved opinion when you live with very large dogs.

The dog is walked, but it's hard to express through simple words on a forum the amount of stress this situation holds. I'm not entirely sure how foreign dog policy really works, but in America, hand bites, no matter how severe, or any bite for that matter, have to be recorded, the animal has to be filed, and watch listed for incident (at least that is the case here in North Carolina).

It's out of my hands now, what happens to my dog if he gets anxious or distressed again, and I am mostly trying to get opinion on how to prolong my Dogs future with this family, and not just get advice on why because I'm American, you think I'm going to just execute my dog.

This dog sleeps in my bed every night, he tries to follow me into the shower when he wants a bath, he sits by me when I play games, he lays he's friggen 100lb fat little butt on my lap when I'm watching TV.

And forgive me, I should probably stress why getting rid of the other Dog, is just as difficult a decision.

The Great Dane is my little brothers dog. It was basically a decision to get the dog for him, because our previous Great Dane and him were very close.
My little brother has some strong anxiety and anger problems he has had to deal with for some years now, and his bond with that dog was something that changed his behavior and helped him show some incredible progress. Up until the dog passed away of course.

He went through a rough patch but we got through it, and told him he could pick out the next dog and that it would basically be HIS dog.

Now, I don't have a strong bond with that Great Dane. I like him yes, and do I want to get rid of him? No. Would I do it to stop the other dog from being so stressed out? No. Because if i did, it would mentally break my little brother. But again, if we don't find a way to train their behavior, and help them co-exist, it won't really be my choice.

If a worse situation happens, it won't even be in my family's control. Which is why I am trying to find someone that may have gone through a similar situation and could help me devise a plan of helping my dogs.

EDIT: I also apologize if my anger is slightly directed towards you, it was misdirected as I was much more irritated by the post above yours.

I'm not a fucking barbarian looking to just kill my dogs, and I'm sorry if that's how the initial post came across. And forgive me for slightly losing my temper, but the suggestion has just pushed my patience.

This is a hard situation, one my family is very extensively trying to work through.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, they both need training then - I see no other way around. I won't even contemplate the option of putting them down, but that's up to your father to decide.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For the record, it's not as "Inhumanly simple" as you're making it out to be. And it's also not even my decision. I'm not the one willing to put my dog down, that would be my father, as HE is the one that has younger children in the house that he shows concern for. A well deserved opinion when you live with very large dogs.

The dog is walked, but it's hard to express through simple words on a forum the amount of stress this situation holds. I'm not entirely sure how foreign dog policy really works, but in America, hand bites, no matter how severe, or any bite for that matter, have to be recorded, the animal has to be filed, and watch listed for incident (at least that is the case here in North Carolina).

It's out of my hands now, what happens to my dog if he gets anxious or distressed again, and I am mostly trying to get opinion on how to prolong my Dogs future with this family, and not just get advice on why because I'm American, you think I'm going to just execute my dog.

This dog sleeps in my bed every night, he tries to follow me into the shower when he wants a bath, he sits by me when I play games, he lays he's friggen 100lb fat little butt on my lap when I'm watching TV.

And forgive me, I should probably stress why getting rid of the other Dog, is just as difficult a decision.

The Great Dane is my little brothers dog. It was basically a decision to get the dog for him, because our previous Great Dane and him were very close.
My little brother has some strong anxiety and anger problems he has had to deal with for some years now, and his bond with that dog was something that changed his behavior and helped him show some incredible progress. Up until the dog passed away of course.

He went through a rough patch but we got through it, and told him he could pick out the next dog and that it would basically be HIS dog.

Now, I don't have a strong bond with that Great Dane. I like him yes, and do I want to get rid of him? No. Would I do it to stop the other dog from being so stressed out? No. Because if i did, it would mentally break my little brother. But again, if we don't find a way to train their behavior, and help them co-exist, it won't really be my choice.

If a worse situation happens, it won't even be in my family's control. Which is why I am trying to find someone that may have gone through a similar situation and could help me devise a plan of helping my dogs.

EDIT: I also apologize if my anger is slightly directed towards you, it was misdirected as I was much more irritated by the post above yours.

I'm not a fucking barbarian looking to just kill my dogs, and I'm sorry if that's how the initial post came across. And forgive me for slightly losing my temper, but the suggestion has just pushed my patience.

This is a hard situation, one my family is very extensively trying to work through.
It is quite a sad situation.
Only thing I can say is it -always has to be (in part) your choice or a consequence of your choices- you should not escape from the responsibility of whatever is decided.
That said, I hope it works well. But I understand your point, it is only sad.

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My mastiff and me have a fantastic relationship. The problem is I'm really the only one he actually obeys, and when I am not home he gets a little riled up and doesn't listen as much to my parents or younger brothers.

The Great Dane on the other hand, listens to no one. He was overly babied as a puppy (my mom used to just carry him everywhere in the house) and is so stubborn and hyperactive, he's been a challenge to attempt to even train how to sit down.

When both dogs are around each other, the Great Dane tries to mess with my Mastiff so much, it prompts "fights" that are sometimes playful, sometimes a bit more aggressive. We should have really taken it as a sign that the mastiff was getting a little too irritated lately but I don't think any of us actually believed he'd be short tempered enough to bite someone.

My parents are going to try and seek some expert help in how to properly train our dogs, because we all admit there's a lot we could have done better.

Our only fear is that, because he has bitten someone, he now has to go on record at the animal hospital (per North Carolina law) that he HAS bitten someone.

ah I see, this is the result when you didnt socialize them enough when they were pups, they turned into one man dogs. do seek professional help to train them.

Reactions: chavosaur

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: