Hacking I need a push in the right direction

vengfulr3ap3r

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there, so im aware this has probably been asked many dozens of times. and that there are many guides that are stickied. But i just have some simple questions before ill be able to know which guides to use and so ill have some idea where to start searching. so i apologize in advance for wasting any of your time. and please avoid flaming me. im normally a lurker and i just search for what i need and i tend to always find it. but i am a newbie to hacking/modding, and i just need somewhere to start.

anyways on with my questions.

what are the pros and cons of chip moding vs softmoding a wii?
so far all i know is that chip molding is pretty much 100% compatible with backups and firmware updates don't disable it as with soft molding. but thats about all i know so far.

also will i need to find an older system on some place such as bay or something? because i read something in a forum on here that said something about the mobo being changed so you couldn't use a mod chip (not sure what the person was talking about because thats the only time i've read it and idk if its true or not.)

what is the best modchip to use and why.
i know its more of the user preference but please tell me what you would chose and why if its not to much trouble.

oh and lastly solderless vs solder, is there really any difference other than the obvious?

Thanks in advanace

-D

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chipmodding is I guess generally "better" and safer, but at the cost of forcing you to crack open your Wii, not to mention the cost of buying the chip and installing it. Softmodding requires nothing more than a SD card, although you can use certain games to do the hack as well (Twilight Princess, SSBB, Lego Indiana Jones).

I'm not getting your second question.

For modchips, I have no idea since softmodding is generally easier to do not to mention a lot cheaper. I think a lot of people use Wiikey, but I could be wrong.

There's no real advantage software wise between solderless vs soldered. I'd choose solderless because it's easier.

Personally, I suggest softmodding. It's cheaper and while it does require so more caution and maintence, you can pretty much do everything a modchip can do sans the price.

vengfulr3ap3r

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild - Thanks for your fast reply. as for the second question, i just read on some forum while trying to research all this that they changed something so you couldnt do chip modding anymore. i very seriously doubt that it was true but i decided to ask and everything anyways. But again thanks for your help =].

one more question, you can infact downgrade your firmware, right? like say if i bought a new Wii and it had 4.2 on it i could downgrade to 4.1 or whatever firmware i needed and such. right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16