I need a push in the right direction

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by vengfulr3ap3r, Oct 3, 2009.

Oct 3, 2009
  1. vengfulr3ap3r
    OP

Newcomer vengfulr3ap3r Advanced Member

United States
    Hi there, so im aware this has probably been asked many dozens of times. and that there are many guides that are stickied. But i just have some simple questions before ill be able to know which guides to use and so ill have some idea where to start searching. so i apologize in advance for wasting any of your time. and please avoid flaming me. im normally a lurker and i just search for what i need and i tend to always find it. but i am a newbie to hacking/modding, and i just need somewhere to start.

anyways on with my questions.

what are the pros and cons of chip moding vs softmoding a wii?
    so far all i know is that chip molding is pretty much 100% compatible with backups and firmware updates don't disable it as with soft molding. but thats about all i know so far.

also will i need to find an older system on some place such as bay or something? because i read something in a forum on here that said something about the mobo being changed so you couldn't use a mod chip (not sure what the person was talking about because thats the only time i've read it and idk if its true or not.)

what is the best modchip to use and why.
    i know its more of the user preference but please tell me what you would chose and why if its not to much trouble.

oh and lastly solderless vs solder, is there really any difference other than the obvious?

Thanks in advanace

-D

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Chipmodding is I guess generally "better" and safer, but at the cost of forcing you to crack open your Wii, not to mention the cost of buying the chip and installing it. Softmodding requires nothing more than a SD card, although you can use certain games to do the hack as well (Twilight Princess, SSBB, Lego Indiana Jones).

I'm not getting your second question.

For modchips, I have no idea since softmodding is generally easier to do not to mention a lot cheaper. I think a lot of people use Wiikey, but I could be wrong.

There's no real advantage software wise between solderless vs soldered. I'd choose solderless because it's easier.

Personally, I suggest softmodding. It's cheaper and while it does require so more caution and maintence, you can pretty much do everything a modchip can do sans the price.

3. vengfulr3ap3r
    OP

Newcomer vengfulr3ap3r Advanced Member

United States
    Guild - Thanks for your fast reply. as for the second question, i just read on some forum while trying to research all this that they changed something so you couldnt do chip modding anymore. i very seriously doubt that it was true but i decided to ask and everything anyways. But again thanks for your help =].

one more question, you can infact downgrade your firmware, right? like say if i bought a new Wii and it had 4.2 on it i could downgrade to 4.1 or whatever firmware i needed and such. right?