I need a device that will backup my original gba games

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Krio, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Krio
    OP

Krio Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2014
    Canada
    I've been looking into the ez-flash advance usb 256 but i cant find it anywhere other than it's original site for a whopping 130 bucks. I wanted to know if there was something that could perform the same function of connecting my gameboy or my cartridge to my computer and be able to backup/rewrite the save file on it for a much cheeper price. I am not really looking for a flash cart to emulate, all i need is to be able to backup and write saves from my pc/gameboy to my gameboy/pc

2. Acidflare

Acidflare HomeBrew Beta Tester

Aug 16, 2013
    Canada
    Nether World
    it can be done with a DS/ DS Lite and a flash card using homebrew

3. Acidflare

Acidflare HomeBrew Beta Tester

Aug 16, 2013
    Canada
    Nether World
  4. Krio
    OP

Krio Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2014
    Canada
    i dont have a ds :/ You guys have anything that will work with the plain gameboy?

5. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    With how cheap used DS/DSLs are anymore, they're your best bet. There are kits for connecting your GBA to USB and dumping your cartridges that way, but good luck finding one at a decent price.

Foxi4 likes this.
  6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I can't think of anything that'd be cheaper than buying an old pre-owned DS. ;) Essentially you'd have to construct your own GBA dumper (schematics available online) using an Arduino, a Raspberry Pi or any of the cheap microcomputer boards to avoid excessive hassle or you'd have to be lucky enough to find one of the really old dumpers online, but you're likely to pay a premium price for one of those. Most people just use a DS - I'd go for that myself.

TecXero likes this.
  7. rainparadesamurai

rainparadesamurai GBAtemp Regular

Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    your cheapest option would be a used original DS phat model. Probably around $20. If you can't afford that, and you can't afford some cheap r4 flashcard, then there's no point in looking any further for a solution. All others are far more expensive.

8. Krio
    OP

Krio Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2014
    Canada

Where can I find schematics for an audrino and a pi? I have access to both, also how would I connect my gba to it O.o

9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
  10. Flavor

Flavor GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2007
    United States
    Assuming you mean GBA, you can do it with this. You'll probably want to run the software in a virtual machine running Windows XP, but it's not difficult.
    http://www.flashmasta.com/purchase/...me-bundle-gameboy-advance-flash-carts-linker/

11. gypsynimrod

gypsynimrod Banned

Banned
    Sep 2, 2014
    Fiji
    If you have 24USD, you can buy a DS Lite and an R4 and be done.

Arithmatics likes this.
  12. Arithmatics

Arithmatics I'll be holding on to you. ;}

Jan 29, 2009
    Malaysia
    Just get the r4 + ds phat

13. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Really if you find the right person on Craigslist or a yard sale you could find a ds under 20 bucks