Hacking I might have bricked my 3DS XL. Help :(

3XTR3M3Z0N3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, so I had an OLD 3DS XL laying around that I didn't really played from a long time (busy days) and I decided to look into all the "Hacking 3DS" stuff. Yeah, I am a complete NOOB when it comes to this stuff. So first I did some research and found that the first thing to do is to install Homebrew launcher. I did that and it turned out fine. I could run the launcher from the 3DS sound app. The second thing to do was to install a CFW and I really made a mistake of not doing any research what-so-ever and just started following a Youtube video guide. Here's the link to the guide:

As far as I know in the first part of the video, he downgrades the firmware to 2.1.0 or something. I originally had 11.2.0-35E. Yeah I had not updated in a long time as I didn't used it recently. The first part went really smooth, the 3ds was downgraded successfully and I could see the "Ver 2.1.0" in settings. So the next part is some browser exploit. I did that exactly as he did with downloading all the same files and placing them exactly like he does but when I typed the link "http://rxsaa.3ds something :/" my lower screen went blank and upper screen froze, basically the 3DS froze. So I turned it off and turned it back on only to see some wierd options like SysNAND and stuff. I guess it was asking me for "booting options" or something, I have a slight Idea that it might be due to "LUMA" or not, Idk :/. So there were a list of different options to select from, the first one was something about "SysNAND". Being the idiot that I am, I thought that selecting nothing and then pressing start would boot the device normally, lol. I did that and everything went blank. Now when I turn On the 3DS with the SD card both screens turn on but remain blank. The 3DS doesn't even turns on without the SD card, the blue light flashes on and then off and that's it (without the SD card). I can't even boot into safe mode because it gives error that safe mode is not available in Ver 1.x/2.x

I know, I should have done some research :/

Finally, if anyone can come up with a solution, please go easy on me as I am a complete noob.

Thank you all.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You need to update now - follow https://3ds.guide/9.2.0-ctrtransfer but use the bin file not firm file for GodMode9 since you have a9lh not b9s. If you can work out how to restore your backup (if you made one) that would be better.

After that you might want to update to b9s - a9lh is outdated now. https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s

Next time don't use video guides. If you had followed https://3ds.guide to start with you wouldn't have had to downgrade or do anything dangerous.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
First off, never follow video guides. EVER. They are severely outdated when you get to them. I remember I almost made the same mistake. You should have followed 3ds.guide.
Second, what happens when you hold SELECT on boot? Edit: ninja'd. :ninja: Do what @Quantumcat said above and you should be fine.
And third, you aren't bricked, don't worry.

Last edited by PrincessLillie,

3XTR3M3Z0N3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First off, never follow video guides. EVER. They are severely outdated when you get to them. I remember I almost made the same mistake. You should have followed 3ds.guide.
Second, what happens when you hold SELECT on boot?
And third, you aren't bricked, don't worry.

It says "Luma3DS v6.6 configuration"

The it shows a couple of options:

Autoboot sysNAND
Use SysNAND FIRM if booting with R.
Enable loading external FIRMS and and modules.
etc stc.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
It says "Luma3DS v6.6 configuration"

The it shows a couple of options:

Autoboot sysNAND
Use SysNAND FIRM if booting with R.
Enable loading external FIRMS and and modules.
etc stc.
Enable Autoboot SysNAND and see what happens.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You probably won't be able to boot into the home menu until after you have updated.
He's getting the config, which means that Luma is installed SOMEWHERE. (Probably CTRNAND with the limited options.)

3XTR3M3Z0N3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Enable Autoboot SysNAND and see what happens.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

He's getting the config, which means that Luma is installed SOMEWHERE. (Probably CTRNAND with the limited options.)

Yeah Blank screens, nothing. I guess, i'll have to update. Autoboot sysNAND does nothing.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States

Knifegash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there, I believe I am in exactly the same situation as the OP. I downloaded the CTRT download tool, but now what, precisely? Because just like OP, all I'm able to do is hold Select on startup, and it goes to the Luma 6.2.3 config page, with the standard option set, but nothing that looks particularly useful. What can I do from here to save my N3DS? Thank you so much for any assistance in the matter!

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hey there, I believe I am in exactly the same situation as the OP. I downloaded the CTRT download tool, but now what, precisely? Because just like OP, all I'm able to do is hold Select on startup, and it goes to the Luma 6.2.3 config page, with the standard option set, but nothing that looks particularly useful. What can I do from here to save my N3DS? Thank you so much for any assistance in the matter!
Do you know what firmware your console was on? If below 9.0 then follow https://3ds.guide/9.2.0-ctrtransfer but use the bin file not the firm file for GodMode9. Basically see my advice to the OP.
Edit: also, you'll need to name the bin file to start_godmode9.bin, your Luma version doesn't support the chainloader menu (I think).

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'm afraid I just don't follow. So I put the two files into the root of my SD card, and then what? I'm not certain what ''use'' means in this context..
Are you following the guide I linked? You put it in the luma/payloads folder. When I said "use" I meant use the bin file not the firm file like the guide says, because firm files are for b9s not a9lh.

Knifegash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you following the guide I linked? You put it in the luma/payloads folder. When I said "use" I meant use the bin file not the firm file like the guide says, because firm files are for b9s not a9lh.
Okay, I started to make some progress, but I've hit a roadblock. When the guide says to hold Start to launch the Luma autoloader, Hourglass comes up instead of the Godmode. I went in and removed the hourglass from the luma payloads folder, and now when I hold start, nothing happens, the screens stay black. Holding select brings me to the Luma 6.2.3 configuration thing. What now? I'm certain I've followed everything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)