Hardware I MAY have found out how to unlock the 3G Variant PS Vita

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well as I was messing about with my PS Vitas internal I decided to rip off the shield over the GSM module.

Guess what I found , a qualcomm MDM6200 chip with some test points.

So I do some research and find the Manual for the chip and too my surprise... , look at the damn pictures.
QFCwoeV.jpg

FPWNonZ.jpg

Anyways , I'm gonna attempt to load up the chip config as I have the equipment for such.
As for now I'm reading the manual studying the chip, if I do manage to disable the sim lock then I guess all is good.

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I have found something else that may intrest you all , it's a file in the PS Vita vs0 partition "vs0:app/NPXS10015/telephony/tel_set_operator_profile.ini"

In the file there was a line:
TEL_SET_OPCO1_SHOW_APN_WHEN_SIM_LOCKED=0
Now when the region changed the "OPCO1" would be something like "OPCO2".
Anyways what I noticed was for all other regions that "0" was a "1".

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Extra findings , this is moving fast.....
Anyways I moved quickly through all the files and went into the folder "vs0:vsh/shell/telephony" and found the following files:
tel_antenna_info.ini
tel_operator_name/profile.ini
and a "apn" folder

There seems to be a way the PS Vita grabs/loads the APN lists from a list called "MMC" with the variables "a", "b" and "c", depending on their values different lists is loaded.

Last edited by TariqSoftDev,

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope you find a way to unlock the sim. It would be nice to use my 3g vita on my wireless plan with decent speeds. Good job on the research as well.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Good luck with that.
I double checked and it turns out that PSVita consoles from the US are the only ones sim locked, every other part of the world is sim unlocked by default.

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Good luck with that.
I double checked and it turns out that PSVita consoles from the US are the only ones sim locked, every other part of the world is sim unlocked by default.
I know , I'm still gonna see if I can lock mine then unlock it , it that works then I found a unlock method.

Reactions: Yepi69

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright update time , I'll start posting my work on twitter so I don't keep moving this thread up,
I've just finished making my own volt meter using a arduino to find the UART ports , time 2 get to work then .

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Good luck with that.

I know , I'm still gonna see if I can lock mine then unlock it , it that works then I found a unlock method.
can't you guys compare each other's gsm modules or something?

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
can't you guys compare each other's gsm modules or something?
You're from the same country as me, so you know when the PSVita came out, it came with a Vodafone plan.
With that being said, US PSVitas are the only ones who are sim locked.
European and Japanese units are not.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@migles and @Yepi69 this thread is ~useless , now that the use of the MPCI-E port is something other then the GSM module (3G) that no one used, I have quit researching this completely.

Note to staff: ~Delete this thread it's useless

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ending to the fallout series was lame could've gave us a bit more