I may have found an excellent solution

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by the_randomizer, Sep 23, 2011.

Sep 23, 2011
  1. the_randomizer
    OP

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Okay, so I've been doing some thinking (after creating that Snes9xGx thread) about what solution would completely neutralize the random crashing. After trying reformatting, re-installation, etc, I all but gave up on trying to get the bloody thing to work. Then it hit me, "I have an SDHC card as well, so why can't I use both?" I then proceeded to have the ROMs loaded off the USB HDD and the SRAM/savestates stored and loaded off the SDHC card. Oddly enough, it didn't freak out when I changed it to that setting. My question is, would doing so make the save files or the emulator freak out after a while? I mean, that is what those settings do, right? Tried it twice and so far, no random crashing. How long I need to test it to make sure it won't crash is something I'm not sure about. Heck, I don't even know if I should test something, (like spamming a menu to open/close) to see if it would do that.

Settings Used

Version - 4.2.8 Wii
    Load Device - USB
    Save Device - SD
    Load SRAM - Auto
    Save SRAM - No

To sum up, is it safe for me to use these settings? I'd like to believe it's gone for good. I really would.

2. Tantric

Member Tantric GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Sure, I designed the thing to be able to use one source to load and a different source to save. It'll work fine.

3. the_randomizer
    OP

United States
    Alright, just wanted to make sure. How will I know whether or not this will be a permanent solution to prevent the random crashing? I mean, how long should I test games/what should I test?

4. the_randomizer
    OP

United States
    Guess I was wrong about my "solution". I definitely found a potentially serious problem. Obviously, when the emulator locks up, the Wii remote light is still on. So, I decided to test something I never tested before, re-sync the remotes by removing the batteries and pressing the red buttons. Well, what happened was the blue lights flash on/off (exactly like they do when the console is off and you press A or B). But the thing is, this happens after the emulator crashes but while the console is still powered on. That alone tells me there may indeed be a more serious issue than I originally assumed.

The fact this is happening is making me more than a little worried. Personally, it sounds like something is interfering with the wii remote/wii console bluetooth communication. Is Snes9xGx (or any GX emulator) completely dependent on having a constant bluetooth connection? Will they fail if that communication is severed? Perhaps I'm overreacting, and I really don't have the means of splurging to buy another Wii.

5. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

That's completely unrelated. You can't sync a wiimote unless there is a program running that can do the resync procedure, obviously if the program has crashed it's not going to be able to do it.

6. mastershoes

Member mastershoes GameTDB Mod

United States
    Have you tried running your roms off of SD? I had 1 particular USB drive I was using that would crash with snes9xgx all the time. I switched back to my good 'ol plug it in the wall oldschool HDD and haven't had any issues since. If it runs smooth for you on SD, you might be able to pin the problem on your USB drive.

As for the lights on your wiimote... You're wii is locked and frozen! Your not gonna get any response from your wiimotes even though the power is on, cuz ITS FROZEN! You are totally overreacting on that one. [​IMG] Wiimotes are NOT your problem.

7. the_randomizer
    OP

United States
    So, I can't use my HDD if I have to use SD for Snes9xGx? Wouldn't all that USB plugging/unplugging wear out the Micro USB plug faster? Okay, so obviously the emulator crashes and the Wiimote cannot be used, alright, that makes sense. Is it possible to have the SD specifically use Snes9xGx while using the HDD for other programs? Can't there be some way to force the forwarder to load it that way, or am I SOL?

8. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    I guess you meant SD plugging/unplugging, not USB, right ?
    For what it's worth, I can testimony that after 3 years of doing that regularly (to put new games, try new emulators,etc), my SD port is completely broken (still working though), I have to use tweezer to get SD out of the port ... though the one on my laptop lasted even less, those things don't like being pushed too much [​IMG]

9. the_randomizer
    OP

United States
    Is it possible to assign the SD card for Snes9xGx while using the USB HDD for everything else? Can you force the SD card to load the forwarder from the SD? What I'm asking is, can you use two different devices for two different programs or does one device have boot priority over the other?

SD - Snes9xGx
    HDD - Everything else

Is it possible?

10. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    I don't understand your logic: different programs use ... well, different forwarders or are loaded by the HBC where you can choose the device where apps are stored
    The way you are using snes9x GX has NO effect on the other programs and you can specify in snes9x GX options which device it should use, as you are apparently already aware (referring to your initial post)

11. the_randomizer
    OP

United States
    Sorry for the confusion, but it looks like you answer my question(s) regarding Snes9xGx. You're right, I remember that you can set the save and load device to SD, while other the other programs I use with the USB HDD are unaffected. Good to know. That's exactly what I was looking for...but in the mean time, it looks like I'll need to do it this way till I can find the cause of Snes9xGx hating my HDD so much. Of course, that won't happen when Hell freezes over. If I understand you correctly, if both the SD and HDD have the boot.dol for Snes9xGx, the SD will take precedence over the .dol file on the HDD, right?