I made a short story and won a school contest.

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Art Studio' started by tagzard, May 16, 2011.

May 16, 2011
  1. tagzard
    OP

Banned tagzard Tagzard the Crazy Dinosaur with Wings.

United States
    So i was watching the twilight zone on netflix and i loved the idea of twisted endings. So at school we were having a short story contest and i made one. It's really good. Please download it and tell me how it its. If people like it I might just make more.

Download

2. Wombo Combo

Member Wombo Combo That Ain't Falco

United States
    Upload to youtube for ease of viewing.

3. tagzard
    OP

United States
    it' a pdf.

4. Recorderdude

Member Recorderdude Musician, Animator, Buffoon.

United States
    copy the text into pastebin for ease of viewing? Or at least use a hoster like mediafire that doesn't impose wait times.

5. tagzard
    OP

United States
    Well i just want some feed back.

6. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    If you want feedback, you'll post the text.

7. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Here's the story. I extracted it from the PDF.
    It's a decent story. Not that good, in my opinion. I'm sure you could do better, though since I'm around the same age and would be able to write a better story.

Edit: Thanks Vulpes.

8. Vulpes Abnocto

United States
    14. It's on his profile.

Feedback: I like how you put the reader in the shoes of the main character. The final imagery is particularly poignant. Though the story rushes toward it's ending, it's a good starting point. All it needs is expansion.

9. Recorderdude

Member Recorderdude Musician, Animator, Buffoon.

United States
    I have to agree with vulpes. Tripping on a nail and shooting himself is pretty anticlimactic and rushed. Expand it.

What I would do is have the TV report just show the person's name (have the reporter say "a photograph could not be found" or something) and have it that he actually SHOOTS his girlfriend by accident, and, shocked by this, takes the lifeless body with him goes into hiding, maybe in a forest or something. Then, over time, have his mental and physical conditon decline over the whole event as he goes mad, until he is eventually attacked by a bear. Make the fight a long and detailed one, but have the bear as the victor. As the person's body slumps and falls over, his wallet slips out of his pocket and an ID card falls out - THE SAME NAME IS ON IT AS THE ONE ON TV. A newspaper will then reveal that the person we've been in the eyes of was actually the killer, and was hiding from the police when he shot his girlfriend by accident. Seeing the report on television made him think that the police were after him right then and there.

That's what I would do, though, you can probably think of your own...man, I'm twisted [​IMG]

10. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    It's not really a story, more of a sketch really. It's okay... but I can't help but feel that it ends too abruptly.

Posts merged

It's not really a story, more of a sketch really. It's okay... but I can't help but feel that it ends too abruptly.

11. Snorlax

Member Snorlax POSTMODERNISM

Australia
    You've got some bad word-choice throughout, and I'd recommend you try to build the tension more.
    It requires some serious skill in-order to engage a reader in such a small amount of words. Lengthen it so you have more chance of absorbing the audience.

12. Shinigami357

Member Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Philippines
    Not to be too uber-critical, but... How do you "accidentally" shoot yourself in the heart? Unless you were holding the gun backwards, it's almost seems impossible to imagine.

Bear with me a bit... Just some supposition...

The character was running away from the door, right? He should be holding the gun naturally, preferably with his finger not on the trigger. He trips, and I suppose he would try to use his arms to break his fall somewhat, and the hands usually end up in the "stop gesture" position. Now, even if he was running with his finger on the trigger, the gun should be pointing ahead/in front of him, not anywhere towards his body. Unless you got off a very unlucky ricochet, was holding his gun some other way, or the gun discharged somewhat, he should be fine, albeit scared, right?

Anyway, keep improving, you'll get better, I'm sure.

EDIT: Hmmm... I suppose if a person doesn't react fast enough, he can fall with his arms bent towards his body. Now, if he did have his finger on the trigger, he really can shoot himself if the gun nozzle just happened to be in the right (wrong?) angle. And you might be able to hit your heart, just not straight on.

13. Vulpes Abnocto

United States
    *nudges Shinigami*

As a marksman I must make one small correction.
    It's a "muzzle", on a gun. Not a 'nozzle'.

14. Makar

Member Makar GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I thought it was good (for your age) but rushed. I think it would of been better and more realistic if the main character shot his Girlfriend and then it went on from there (ether he commits suicide, runs away and finds the psycho, or whatever you could think of. You could of made a story were the main character actually goes psycho and and joins the other psycho in the killing or something and expand on the story.

15. Shinigami357

Member Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Philippines

Ah, of course. My apologies.