I just wanted to check with you ... pls help ?

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by kineticUk, May 7, 2011.

May 7, 2011
  1. kineticUk
    OP

Member kineticUk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Finally caved in and bought myself a PSP3000 (Never had own PS1 or 2 but having dreams of FF and memories of playing through those games with friends etc thought now was good enough time)

Been hunting around and tried to find something with an older firmware out of the box, from what I have managed to work out this is preferable as it gives you more firmware options?
    (Mine came with 5.02 and its a PSP3003 earlier than I expected, I didnt know until after I got the PSP whether I'd get an old enough one but am happy/lucky for once... i think? Thats good right?).
    I'm just getting it setup now, started with the basics but I would really appreciate your advice as I know very little about PS or PSP really.. I'm not n00b and if I can get some advice off you guys should be ffine

So Ive got a few q's (really appreciate more expert advice so thanks in advance btw and I have tried to find out myself as much as poss):

1. I guess although its more complicated to setup .. I can upgrade 5.02 to 5.03 then install the 5.03 hack?
    (I hear mixed stuff but that this is prefered to CFW/good because of the POPS plugin? Playing PS games one of my main reasons I wanted to get a PSP...)
    This is semi-permanent so I must put PSP to sleep or install each time I wanna run stuff?

2. Can I use both CFW and switch between that and 5.03 ?
    Or should I be looking at other firmwares, am I missing out on something obvious? What are plugins?
    How does this work, what do I need to do, or rather which firmware do I need to install first etc

3. Any thing else I should be taking into consideration, ie I'm not breaking stuff I don't know about online etc. I guess I can still play my retail games ok.
    Can I back up my own retails also?

This is about where I am at now. I just wanna get a nice good setup (but the best even if its a bit of work and requires skills) and play some PS1 FF and castlevania games to begin with along with my PSP retails.

Right thanks again and for any help, info and comments opinions.. really help me out here.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The stickies are currently outdated (as is most of the info you'll find online). 6.x CFWs came out recently, and you can get a permanent hack on one of them, but they do lack a little PSX compatibility for now (though most games should work).
    http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5141

1 - You can update to 6.20 and then install CFW 6.20 PRO-B5, and it can be permanently installed.

2 - With PRO-B5, you can hold Select while booting up to have it boot into OFW. The F.A.Q. has info on plugins.

3 - Retail games can still be played on OFW, you can back up your own retail games by telling the CFW to change the USB device to the UMD drive instead of memory stick, then hooking your PSP to your PC and ripping the ISO right out of the UMD drive.

3. kineticUk
    OP

United Kingdom
    First of all thank you Rydian for replying and answering some of my questions, I'll have a good look around and find more info about the 6.20 PRO-B5 CFW.

But couple of other things before i do this.

POPS support, doesn't PRO-B5 include this?
    I thought it was the software that enabled PSX games to be played, what sony uses themselves and that it had been hacked?
    Does PRO-B5 use something else?

By having a dual-boot type thing does that mean I can (after installing permanent CFW), switch into OFW and update it to the latest official version? I wanted to look at the psn store and stuff maybe buy some games off there but as expected I couldnt and it advised me to get latest update.

The other options (5.03 thing CFW 6.35 etc) can these be installed later on anyway?
    The downgrading thing etc is that safe enough as long as you are careful... its not something a user would need to do though really right? Once you are setup with CFW and sorted?

Is there anything you advise I can do to protect my PSP now, along the lines of a virgin NAND dump on the wii. I was gonna run the program that checks the chipset for info before starting this, but does that effect compatibility etc and can I safely go back and forth between versions of CFW/OFW's after doing all of this? Not stuck for example if I accidentally installed too high a version update?

Thank you all tempers for helping me out, thank you Rydian.

4. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    POPS support question - Yes the PRO firmwares support pops and custom eboots. They just don't support popsloader, a plugin that boosts compatibility by allowing you to use pops versions other than that of your native firmware. This means that whilst many PSX games will work, compatibility is not as good as can be achieved over every pops version. Unless you're playing PSX a lot then this won't be a massive problem.

Dual-boot Question - No you can't update your firmware because 6.35 PRO/6.20 PRO only work on those specific firmwares. However the last time the PSN was up both versions of PRO allowed access to the PSN. You have to remember that writing a new firmware rewrites lots of things, patching exploits and clearing memory, which means that you can't continue to use modifications you've made previously as they'd be erased. Yes you can always uninstall 6.20 PRO permanent patch and downgrade down to 5.03 if your PSP is compatible with that earlier firmware but it's mostly a pointless exercise.

Downgrading is always a risk, but you're right that so long as you're clear on what you're doing and understand the process (and of course are doing something that your hardware permits) then you'll be fine. Once you're on 6.20 Pro and it's perm patched then you can forget about firmwares for the time being.

With a PSP 3000 you don't have that level of freedom you would if you had a fully hackable PSP. The first thing you should do before anything is to run PSPIdent and identify exactly which motherboard iteration you have. This will indicate the lowest you can downgrade to. Personally i'd advise minimising firmware transitions....if you update to 6.20 OFW and install 6.20 PRO i can't see any real reason why you'd need to do anything else for the forseeable future.

5. demonicstrife

Member demonicstrife *INSERTGENERICTITLE*

United States
    PRO-B5 does use POPS, but there currently isn't a POPSLoader for it, which is a plugin that switches between POPS from different firmware versions in order to increase compatibility, as some games work better with a certain POPS than others.

For the dual-boot thing, no, you wouldn't be able to upgrade the OFW portion, as the CFW used is based off of the OFW in currently in place. To use 5.03 GEN, it needs to be on 5.03. Same for 6.20 PRO-B5.

For downgrading, as long as you are careful and know what you're doing, there isn't much risk other than the normal brick you'd get during a regular firmware upgrade, but you can only downgrade as low as your PSP's stock firmware (in your case 5.03, so you're pretty versatile).

As for protection, the 3000 cannot use a Pandora battery, which allows any PSP, even bricked, to be reinstalled with a new firmware, so you're a little out of luck there. And lastly, as for switching versions, you're fine as long as you remember the above and DON'T UPGRADE BEYOND 6.35.

Got any other questions, just ask.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

6. kineticUk
    OP

United Kingdom
    Excellent info, you answered loads of the questions I had, thanks xist and demonicstrife.

Couple more things I'd like to ask/add.

Is there a good homebrew scene btw (more so now than before keys/cfw)?

I was just reading on a random site the feature list for PRO-B5 and think I understand now that the firmware is more a proper full firmware replacement than something I switch to from OFW for backup loading, PSX etc. The fact that it supports PSN and backing up your own retails, d/l content etc shows you can effectively live on it, if u know what i mean?

More on POPS compatibility. I love FFVII or loved that game when I played it when I was younger.. never played VIII properly but wanted to and adored IX when I had a quick lend. I love classics like castlevania and megaman etc, so have been looking forward to getting a system which I can run some of the games from series I loved that I never played. Most of the games (PSX) I look forward to playing are classics/famous games not obscure, I think I should be good to play these with PRO-B5 from what I can tell?

Finally does anyone have any advice/preferences about emulators and which ones I should use?
    Which you prefer for genesis, snes?, pcengine etc.. The must haves?
    I imagine the PSP would have the potential to run more difficult to emulate systems than say my DS/DSi, but what are your opinions on the PSP emu's Vs other systems like DS. How does it really compare, better?
    (I wanna snes for UN Squadron and parodius, gradius 3 etc do you think the PSP emu's will be ok for example with these games... UN squadron pushed the hardware and slowdown occasional but not that it made the game anything other than class and I loved it).

Its great to talk/listen to you all and once I have run PSPident I will post the info about my 3000 chipset too... seems like a nice little machine though (much smaller than I had expected maybe 1000 were bigger). Whats the best chipset, newer hardware better than older etc or it just changes compatibility to update cfw etc?

I'm looking forward to this, ok gonna get some dinner, meditate and then give it a go...fingers crossed I don't get proper unlucky and f something up ha.

I'll come back back here if thats ok, if I have more questions etc?

Hope this is ok and thanks again all tempers, take care.
    And we can all treat it as a kinda general PSP CFW discussion Q/A thread type thing, I'm sure theres some stuff well explained now already for those who are new to this like me so its good.

7. demonicstrife

United States
    The PSP scene isn't nearly as good as it was some years back, but it's in a stable enough state now. For POPS, I know for a fact all of the main Playstation FFs (VII, VIII, IX) run perfectly on PRO-B5. VIII has lots of issues on anything lower, and IX is a little laggier.

http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3396

8. Rydian

United States
    Yeah, sure.

9. kineticUk
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks demonicstrife for that information... oops and thanks Rydian, thank you for the info, excellent!!...I have learnt more in these posts from you tempers than I have in a good few hours spent googling it over the years. gracias.

PSN vs PSX conversion (eboot?).. do the PSN releases differ?

Id probably like to make my own from the PS games I can find second hand if I can do that and there is no difference between PSN/PSX versions. Are they bug fixed or tweaked at all to run better do you know? Compatibility between these types will be better/worse or the same depending on this I'm guessing?

I apologise if some of my q's are kidstuff but seriously, I appreciate this. [​IMG]

10. demonicstrife

United States
    The PSN PSX games are usually preferred for a game you wanna play as they usually contain fixes and modifications to improve performance, and they have better compression to save space. But you can customize the icons of your own converted games if you prefer. I've never had issues playing my converted games on the proper POPS where a PSN version exists, though someone correct me if there are any other issues.

11. kineticUk
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ok... I'm searching google and read a bit about chickHEN, other homebrew enablers etc.

So I need to run PSPident and have the 074 version ready. I looked around but understand it cannot be signed.. so what should I install first?

I'm gonna put 6.20 PRO-B5 as you have all advised me to and just want to check the chipset to make sure I can apply the permanent firmware, I think this is right but if you can help class.... I'll then follow the guides from there on.

I have MHUSpeed 3, i think this is the homebrew enabler I should use? I could be totally off here since I have just read loads of different guides and they used different programs (some were not too recent).

12. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    If you update to 6.20 and just run the temporary 6.20 you can then run PSPIdent to check.

13. Rydian

United States
    If you run 6.20 PRo-B5 then all you have to do is go to your system settings in the PSP and view system information, and you'll see your G model.

[​IMG]

You don't need mhuspeed or anything like that. Like I said most of the info you'll find is outdated.

14. kineticUk
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ok ... i'm back.

I started from my new PSP3003 with 5.02 OFW installed.
    Updated to 6.20 OFW and run PROB5UPDATE
    Now on CFW 6.20 PRO-B5 (temp.)
    Run PSPident and the results...

Motherboard: TA-090 v2 (Are there better or worse? Makes no difference?)
    Motherboard Type: Brite 3003 03g (So i'm gonna do the permanent install now..done)
    UMD firmware: 1.240ANov10 2006 (Latest or there are newer/better.. i guess this doesn't matter really)
    PSP version: Brite 1.0 (The later ones 09g etc might be 1.1 or 1.2?)
    Bat EEPROM access: No (I'm guessing this relates to those pandora batteries that older PSP models support?)
    Possible CFW: 5.03 HEN and up (For a second I was thinkin' "but it was on 5.02 OFW originally!?" but this relates to CFW not OFW...duh)

You have all helped me out big time, thank you tempers [​IMG]
    I'll come back later with more probably but if I do not, hope to talk to you again. Nice people.

Edit: Ran the permanent patch, tested first no problem then again to install it and I think I'm now CFW'd up! (Now off to go and read up about plugins/homebrew etc).