I just want a GBA cart that works...

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by galneon, Mar 23, 2008.

Mar 23, 2008
  1. galneon
    OP

Member galneon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I did a ton of research on all GBA carts available a few years ago before ordering the EZ Flash IV original. I didn't notice it was trash until it was already too late for me to return it. It's never saved consistently, and there's simply no method to it. I've changed the battery and it just doesn't matter.

Is it too late for me to find a GBA cart with high compatibility and, if I'm lucky, SD support? If I can't have SD, I just want something still in stock that will play as many games as the EZF4 SHOULD have played. It's getting difficult to research GBA cards as most of them are GBA/NDS hybrids which sacrifice GBA compatibility it seems. I need RTC and support for large commercial ROMs. Sorry if I seem lazy, I'm just so sick of never having a properly working GBA with cart...

2. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    The problem is that by the time SD-based adapters came around, so did the DS. Thus, most traditional GBA flash carts use NOR flash rather than the SD card + RAM combo you're looking for.

Look into the M3 Perfect, as it seems to fit your criteria.

3. galneon
    OP

United States
    Finally fond an M3 mini-SD Perfect in stock at realhotdeals.com, ordered it [​IMG] I just hope it isn't out of stock like it is everywhere else. Thanks a lot, the M3 Perfect was exactly what I was looking for.

4. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    if you can afford it, the g6 lite is what i use it has 512MB (4gbit is 512MB) internal memory and works a treat with my gba games and ds homebrew too.

and yes the g6 lite has RTC support (thats why i brought it myself) as well as other features.

5. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    Did you run the games through the EZ4 client?
    Do you let the game save (not pressing L at bootup)?

I've had this card for a couple of months and I have yet to encounter a game which doesn't work. Its absolutely brilliant and I can only conlude that you must've done something wrong.

6. galneon
    OP

United States
    Hahaha, I've done something wrong... It's a piece of piracy-related hardware manufactured in China, a nation with no regard for quality control in almost all it manufacturing. On top of that, it's a product with its own reputation of inconsistency. If you haven't read about EZ4 problems, I don't see how you could've racked up 1,400 posts. My EZ4 saved half the time (regardless of the game), and the rest of the time it didn't.

I can only conclude that you're a gullible sucker who believes one can base the quality of a product on one sample. So glad yours works--mine doesn't.

7. xcalibur

United Kingdom
    Well isn't it the same thing that you're doing?
    And besides, you mention in your post that you want a GBA cart.
    I agree that the EZ4 has its shair of issues but they're all in the NDS section. It is truly the best for Gba roms.

I've had some issues which were due to my own incompetence when I accidentally infected my EZ4 with a virus but that was easily fixed by reflashing the firmware.
    I can only advise you to go to the sosuke forums and get all of the updated files. And if its a faulty EZ4, then I find it unfair that you dismiss the whole product because of your bad experience.

8. jeklnoo

Member jeklnoo GBAtemp Fan

United States
    another happy ez flash IV (miniSD) user here...i've played maybe 25 games, and had i think 2 that didn't save...but it could have been my fault, and i didn't spend much time trying to make it work. anyway i'm plaything thru metroid fusion right now [​IMG]

9. xcalibur

United Kingdom
    I've noticed some games don't save unless you rename them as 8.3 file.
    Super Robot Taisen OG 2 would be SRT-OG2.gba

10. galneon
    OP

United States
    I've used and updated multiple times to the latest software since I bought it and am 12 years experienced in console modding. I've used computers since before you were born, so I would question my level of "incompetence" versus yours. Let's see you buy a defective product and then replace it with another one, rolling the die once more. Odds are, a second EZ4 would work perfectly for me as well, but I have ethical issues with spending twice the money to get one working cart, and so I ordered the M3. I'm not saying all EZ4 are bad--I only called mine trash. Unlike you, I haven't made a generalization on the quality of all EZ4s manufactured. I've done everything you suggest over the course of a year when I first discovered it was defective (too late to send it back), and have concluded it's definitely a hardware problem. That's it.

Thanks again to DanTheManMS for his unassuming help. Looking forward to the M3. You may want to open your mind a little, xcalibur.

Edit: Also, let me say it was never just one game that wouldn't save. Any game I've tried saves, but saves inconsistently, regardless of power-off, power-on delay, or anything else. This is after a 24-hour power-on recharge of the internal battery (and I bought another VL2020 and soldered it on, as well, with the same results).

11. xcalibur

United Kingdom
    Well, I guess I must've not read your post correctly then and I apologise for that. I assumed that you were calling all EZ4 trash.
    Also, I wasn't implying anything about your level of competence.

Also, you should realise that post count doesn't matter in most forums. Look at the join date. I'm still a noob [​IMG] .

I guess that the M3 would be the best choice if you want great GBA compatibility but I'm the same as you and don't see the point in paying for something twice so I wanted to help you with your issue rather than go out and reccomend another cart...

The only question I have.. how come it was too late to send it back?

12. galneon
    OP

United States
    No problem. It was too late to send it back because I didn't notice it was defective for a good 6 months... It had the problem from the start, but I first assumed the battery wasn't charged long enough (with the power on) and then rationalized it, saying I would flash it later and update all the software, maybe that would fix it... So I waited and waited. Besides, it's my fault I waited so long. I wouldn't have blamed the vendor for not accepting my return months later (which probably would've been the case), and didn't want to stress over it. I don't play my GBA a lot, maybe a few hours every couple months, though that will probably change with the M3.

13. santorix10

Member santorix10 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That does really help. All my ROMs are named with the 8.3 scheme, and none of them fail to save. lol, seeing all those crazily abbreviated names reminds me of Battle Network. [​IMG]

And, I had a M3 Perfect SD (It even says so in my sig, so you know I'm legit [​IMG] ). And, the save memory was very unreliable after about 8 months of owning it. I took it apart, and the battery still read 3.2v, so it's definintly the cart. On the other hand, while the plastic and build quality is not as good on the EZ-Flash IV, it is much more reliable. At least thus far... (6 months)