I just tried the Wii VC and mmmm I'm not really impressed

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by saulin, Jul 16, 2008.

1. saulin
    OP

Member saulin GBAtemp Regular

First of all I gotta start by saying that I play most console games through emulation except for the high end systems. I heard so much about the Wii VC so I decided to give it a try. I have 2 TVs. A HD 32" that does 720p and 1080i and a 32" CRT with component connections which I thought could do 480p bu I guess I was wrong.

Ok so I tested

Ninja Gaiden 3 on my HD TV with the component cable, I enabled 480p and tried with and without wide screen and man does it ever look like shit. Pixels soooo big that make me want to throw up. Of course since it's a LCD there is nothing that can be done to fix that. I tried Street Fighter 2 Turbo and the same thing. it looked like garbage. So did Sonic. I did try Bomberman 93 and that one did not look as pixelated because it has a little filtering. Also Crusn' USA had a little filtering.

So I did some research and people talk about using a standard CRT TV for VC games since they look like crap on LCDs HD TVs. So I put up my 32" Panasonic CRT TV and I get no picture. Mmm well it doesn't support 480P. It sucks cause I wanted to know if 480p does make a difference on a CRT TV since it didn't on my HD TV with the VC console games.

Anyways I tried Ninja Gaiden 3 and well, all it did was add huge scanlines and it blurred the image a little but it still looked like crap. Wow I guess that's how the games looked back then though. I tried SF2T and Sonic and the same results. Big scanlines and still crappy graphics. So I guess I was expecting more from the VC console games. I was hopping for some kind of filtering that would make the games look much better on HD TVs.

Now my question is. Is that how SF2T really looks on a real SNES? To me it looks like crap.

I can play Snes, Genesis, Nes, TG-16 at 480p, absolutely flicker free with a component cable and with image enhancements on a HD TV and the picture looks freaking amazing and clear. I was so used to such awesome picture from my Xbox running this emulators I guess.

Now for N64 I just use PJ64 emulator with 3D acceleretation and put all my video settings on max and play at 1920x1080 on my LCD TV and well it makes games look only 100x better. So again I rather play them on a windows emulator than on VC.

I know some people love those nasty pixels but I just don't think they are cool. Does anyone have a CRT TV that supports 480p and can you tell me if it looks good playing VC games like that? I imagine that you would not get the nasty scanlines with 480p but then does it look kind of how it looks on a LCD HD TV?

2. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    My guess is that if you put the original consoles on your TV you'd get exactly what you see on the Wii VC. The point of the VC is to make them look just like what they did originally with no enhancements.

I know what you're saying, I use all sorts of filtering on my SNES emulator on my computer and even on my play station emulators it was hard to go to the "PSX" emulator, which doesn't have any enhancements. I did anyway because the games actually worked with full compatibility but it didn't look as good as when I used ePSXe.

Anyway, my suggestion is to try running SNES9x through the homebrew channel and see if that looks any better. If it does, then just use the emulator. If not, it's a result of your TV and you would be better off sticking with using your Xbox for your classic gaming needs.

On my CRT HDTV (720p/1080i) the N64 VC games look.... pretty bad. NES games, et. al. look like what I'd expect them to on a TV so much larger than was normal when those consoles were current gen.

3. Eternal Myst

Member Eternal Myst Back from the Myst.

United States
    It's time to upgrade to a smaller tv.

I don't know if that would help.I have no problems playing VC games on a small tv.....not to small.

4. saulin
    OP

Member saulin GBAtemp Regular

Yeah I guess it doesn't get any better than emulation on the Xbox for those older consoles for now. And yeah I would think it would look much better on smaller Tvs. haha I rememebr playing NES back in 1990 on a mmm 14-15" TV. When I was playing Snes I only had a 19" TV I think and back then we didn't have the graphics we have now on newer consoles or emulation to compare. No RCA video cables either.