I just switched from rxtools to a9lh+luma and I noticed that all my gba save files are gone!

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Bryon15, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Bryon15
    OP

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
    Normally I wouldn't mind this, expect one of the gba games was pokemon fire red. I had over 50 hours invested into that! What do? :(

2. TariqSoftDev

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Sep 18, 2013
    London
    are you using GBA VC injected CIA games or a GBA emulator?

3. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    More precisely than "from rxTools to a9lh+luma", did you go from an emuNAND setup to a sysNAND-only setup?

If yes and if you're using GBA VC, then indeed, you lost your saves since they were tied to your sysNAND (which you replaced with your emuNAND).
    If you still have your old sysNAND as a backup, restore it, then backup your GBA saves, then restore your "new" sysNAND and restore your saves.

4. Bryon15
    OP

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
    This is exactly what happened. I do have the old sysnand. If I do this, how do I backup the gba saves?

5. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
  6. TariqSoftDev

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Sep 18, 2013
    London
    Can't he just restore his old SysNand over new EmuNand?

7. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    Yes he could, but then, instead of losing what's related to the old sysNAND (which is just GBA saves in theory), he'd lose everything related to his new sysNAND (which is the old emuNAND, where he most probably spent most of his time playing all kinds of games and registering all kinds of friends and stuff) :P

edit Well, easier solution actually. Just go back to the previous sysNAND/emuNAND setup but keep a9lh as a booting method. So the saves are still tied to the old sysNAND and are present, and the emuNAND still has all the rest of the data.

Last edited by Hayleia, Sep 20, 2016
  8. Bryon15
    OP

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
    Bad news. It didn't work. I used decrypt 9. Restored my old sysnand, dumped the gbavc save, restored my new sysnand, injected the gbavc save. But the saved still weren't there.

The creator of the arm9loaderhax guide really needs to put in there that using his guide will delete your gba saves.

Quantumcat likes this.
  9. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    Did you try the other solution in my previous post? It takes you away from the "masterrace setup", but if you can get your saves back, I guess you won't complain ;)

10. Bryon15
    OP

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
    If I did this, wouldn't I lose all my 3ds games, 3ds saves, friend list, homebrew, nnid, etc?

11. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    No, I was talking about what's after the "edit". You basically come back to the exact setup you had before installing a9lh, except that you still have luma and a9lh instead of rxTools and menuhax(?). So you don't lose anything.
    What you do is you put your old emuNAND (that is now your sysNAND) back on emuNAND, and your old sysNAND (that is now nowhere) back on sysNAND. So your GBA saves are tied back to your sysNAND and your 3ds games, 3ds saves, friend list, homebrew, NNID, etc are on tied to your emuNAND.
    And you live this way at least until you manage to backup your saves.

Or you ask how to backup/restore your GBA saves with Decrypt9 (in Decrypt9's thread or I don't know where, I didn't find a tutorial) so you can keep your sysNAND-only setup after doing what I suggested first.

Quantumcat likes this.
  12. FakuMotaFaka

FakuMotaFaka GBAtemp Regular

Mar 5, 2016
    Canada
    So you got it restored!

13. LongTimeLurker

LongTimeLurker GBAtemp Regular

Aug 25, 2016
    Canada
    This thread should serve as warning to always backup your important saves before you do anything heavy on your 3DS :).

Good luck mate!

14. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    LongTimeLurker likes this.