I just ordered the 8bitdo. Should I cancel and order the Mayflash Magic NS?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by ravihpa, Oct 17, 2018.

1. ravihpa
    OP

ravihpa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    Hey guys,

I was super excited to find out about 8bitdo USB Wireless dongle and that I could use my DS4 controller to play motion control games on the Switch. I don't have a Pro controller. So I ordered it right away.

But today my friends told me about the Mayflash Magic-NS dongle, which is supposedly better, etc. So, I wanted to ask you guys. With the latest/current update out for 8bitdo, should I cancel it and order the Mayflash one? Or is 8bitdo good enough?

Please suggest me what to do. Thank you.

PS: I also read somewhere that two joycons won't work with 8bitdo in sideways mode or something like that. Please help me. Am torn. I was under the impression that in Mario Party and other games, I could have 3 players this way. 1 person on 8bitdo and 2 people on 2x Joycons.

2. SANIC

SANIC GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後

Jan 13, 2017
    United States
    Yes and no. Mario Party is exclusive to joy con only play like 1-2 Switch obviously. Dunno why anyone thought otherwise. Any games that use the pro controller would work with it.

3. chrisisx

chrisisx GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2014
    Singapore
    Singapore
    I think mayflash is much better since i heard this does not support Xbox controller, no Controller wired USB support, no Direct Input support, no PS3 mode. But mayflash is much expensive though. If only 8-bit do is a liitle bit earlier then maybe i have bought this instead since its cheaper and i only use PS4 controller anyway.

4. ravihpa
    OP

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    Even I will only be using my DS4 controller because that's the only controller with motion controls. I do have an XB1 controller and it's wireless and that too is supported by this 8bitdo. I don't care about wired controllers.

5. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Mayflash is good since you can also use it on PC. (I use Wii U Pro Controller in green[x-input] mode and it's fantastic!]

Wombleton likes this.
  6. ravihpa
    OP

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    I wanna know how is both their performance with regards to Switch. I read somewhere that Mayflash has less lag compared to 8bitdo. Don't know how true that is.

I don't care about PC connectivity as I have wireless XB1 controllers for that.

7. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Well, I tested Wii U Pro Controller on Switch with Mayflash in another room away from the TV and I didn't notice any input lag. I'd recommend it.

8. vyral_143

vyral_143 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2018
    Hong Kong
    Anyway to connect two DS4 controllers for say Mario Kart 8 offline two player ?

9. Wolfy

Wolfy Person That Never Was

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere In The Aether...
    No, I believe that either one will only output one signal at a time, so you can connect more than one controller, but it'll only read as one.

10. ravihpa
    OP

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    I think for that you need TWO 8bitdo or Mayflash adapters. One for each controller. Both plugged in at the same time.

11. chrisisx

chrisisx GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2014
    Singapore
    Singapore
    Only one controller at the time. I can also confirm that mayflash works even when the 2 joy con are connected as separate controllers. So multiplayer works for mayflash with joy cons.

ravihpa likes this.
  12. Rel

Rel GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2018
    United States
    I have them both and recommend the Mayflash because you can change the controls and the right analog control feels more accurate compared to the 8bitdo.

ravihpa likes this.
  13. Sticker

Sticker Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2018
    Vietnam
    Buy a nintendo controller you can connect multiple controller, I bought a Pro controller Xenoblade and never look back

14. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    It's more expensive if you already have other controllers (and most of them are better than the Nintendo one for most people).

Also, afaik you can also use 8bitdo with a PC (or at least as I read on Amazon). If you want to use it only on Switch, and only using a PS4 or XBO controller, then I think you can go for this one (8bitdo). It's cheaper and it seems to work as wished. I don't own any of them, but I've also looked at them and I'm in the same case as you. Even if I have money for both of them, I'd buy the one you looked at.

ravihpa likes this.
  15. hipmp5

hipmp5 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2018
    Qatar
    I have Magic-ns with PS4 controller, i use it on pc and switch and i never found any issues (only once with 5.1 that was solved by updating firmware of magic-ns), i didn't test the 8bitdo one so i can't give any opinion about that one.

16. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Québec
    Latest Magic-NS firmware allows you to control the rumble intensity. Great when the rumble interferes with the motion control.

I know i had to turn rumble off because the rumbling interfered with the motion control in Splatoon 2

ravihpa likes this.
  17. ravihpa
    OP

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    I received my 8bitdo Bluetooth Dongle a week ago, and I can say it works GREAT with the DS4 and XB1 controllers. There is no lag whatsoever, and the motion controls seem fine (checked on Mario Odyssey). Loved playing Mario Odyssey with XB1 controller (compared to DS4). When I do start playing BoTW, will check out DS4 motion controls with that game too and report back. But so far, I have no complaints. This thing is fantastic!

Orangy57 and Bedel like this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted