I just heard someone through my speakers

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by lostdwarf, Sep 5, 2011.

Sep 5, 2011
  1. lostdwarf
    OP

Member lostdwarf GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    Can somebody help me please

I have just heard a person breathing and turning pages and clicking a mouse through my laptop speakers.

I am on a T-Mobile broadband dongle in the UK.

It happened on and off for about 15 minutes in total.
    On and off in that my speakers would suddenly start working and I could hear the above described situation and then it would stop completely for a minute and then start again.
    It is a real person in real time, not a recording, they were turning pages and clicking a mouse too. I could hear it VERY clearly, like a skype.
    My laptop also slowed down A LOT! my mouse slowed down and my pc struggled to close mozilla and took 2 minutes to open the start menu so I forced power off, rebooted, signed online and posted this.

I am very worried I have been hacked or something else horrid.

I had no programs running apart from Mozilla Firefox looking on Amazon.co.uk.

PLEASE HELP ME.

2. Jasper07

Member Jasper07 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Well it could be the electro magnetic radiation (or something like that lol) that cause your speakers to 'speak' by themselfs. I myself have a 5.1 setup and it constantly hear german radio (I live in Holland).
    But I don't think people hacked your pc though. They would download private information or something instead of messing with the speakers.

3. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    A few years ago I actually picked up a phone conversation through a portable stereo. Strange things can happen when magnets and radio waves are combined.

4. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Being hacked. People are backtracing your posts and reporting you to the cyber police for everything you've downloaded illegally. The consequences will never be the same.

5. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    The sound could simply be from a tab that opened into a video-chat site or maybe a VoIP app that started up without you realising. If it only happens once, you shouldn't worry about it.

If you experience a major slowdown, the first thing you should do is press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open up the task manager. That will be a perfect act to time your PCs response and when it loads up, you will see all the processes running and what is taking up the most resources. That'll be a huge hint when trying to figure out what's happening. Take a picture too if you can, since that can also help others diagnose your PC.

On the matter of hacking, I'm 95% confident you didn't get hacked. Hackers generally try and be subtle in their actions since for them, the perfect crime is the one nobody is aware of. They wouldn't trigger your speakers or slow your PC down and would instead use background tasks to scan your computer for whatever purpose without you realising. If you're worried, run a full system scan with a good anti-virus program. You may also want to run a program like Speccy or SpeedFan to get an idea of the health of your system (particularly the SMART report, incase the system slowdown is caused by an ailing HDD).

6. kevan

Member kevan Imagination rules the world

Australia
    I reckon he left a mic on and was hearing himself [​IMG]

7. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    He might be delusional or schizophrenic?

8. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    First off, do you have Skype or any other VoIP program installed? If so, check to see if those processes are running in the background. If not, then (if you are really worried) uninstall Skype/VoIP programs. If it still occurs, it's just your speakers catching radio waves.

I had a mic-speaker system do that too, and it was some screamo station. Scared the living shit out of me. [​IMG]

9. omegasoul6

Member omegasoul6 FFXIV Fanboy

Canada
    Are brain slushies involved?

10. overslept

Member overslept WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD

United States
    What would being schizophrenic have anything to do with hearing sounds? If anything, he'd be feeling imaginary things on his skin... or is that cocaine withdrawal? [​IMG]

Also, check if there are any ads or pop-ups open that you haven't noticed. Sometimes I get pop-ups for those "Live Webcam chat" sites and I'll start to hear typing and other noises before I realize that it's coming from a separate window or tab.

11. Nimbus

Member Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

United Kingdom
    I'd do Virus/Malware scans as a precaution.

It may just be radio interferance, that happens once in awhile.

Hackers generally do stuff silently and without any indications that they are even there to begin with. It's unlikely that you are being hacked.

12. Schizoanalysis

Australia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

I love it when people who have no idea correct others...

13. lostdwarf
    OP

Member lostdwarf GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    very amusing but no I am not hearing my own mic, I do not have any illness of any kind and I do not have skype or any other voip installed.
    I was only on amazon.co.uk, no popup or adverts were to be seen at all that would make the noises I was hearing.
    It still has not happened since either.
    It was also not a phonecall, I could here someone on their PC.

14. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    It was probably some interference.
    A friend's speaker had the rubber cover of the volume thingy peeled off and each time we touched it it received some random signal. From radio stations to police walkie-talkies.

15. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    It goes without saying, do not correct the guy about schizophrenia who is named Schizoanalysis

16. bdr9

Member bdr9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If it happens again, unplug your speakers from your computer and see if it stops or not. That would prove if it is interference or something from the pc.

17. Schizoanalysis

Australia

[​IMG]

Yes, the username may provide a clue.

Schizoanalysis is actually from Deleuze (and is not schizophrenia itself), but I have certainly read quite a bit about it...

18. Serephyx

Member Serephyx I need a better title. ™

It coulda been an Ad... c:

19. nathancnc

Member nathancnc GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's very possible that it is a HAM Radio TRansmission from pretty much anyone in your area. I was able to pick up my HAM Radio transmissions on a pair of computer speakers from over 30km away.

It's just the magnets in the speakers picking up a very strong radio transmission. And I mean really strong, most HAM Radios (mine incuded) can talk to people literally anywhere in the world.

But it does require a nice big anntenna on my house.

20. DrOctapu

Member DrOctapu Magnificent Bastard

United States
    Unplug the speakers from your computer or mute your volume. If it still plays you aren't being hacked.