Hacking I just got a PSP 3001, v6.35! What now?

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! I've been frequenting GBAtemp for a while now, but I've only been into the DS and Wii until today. I found a great deal on a model 3001 v6.35 PSP - for $83.00, I got the system itself (in perfect condition), the charging cable, a 1GB memory stick, "Metal Gear Acid", and two carrying cases (one bulky and one slim).

Anyhow, I'm completely new to the PSP, so I'd really appreciate it if you could direct me to the latest guides and information. I'll be looking through some of the stickies here while I wait for your responses, but I've read they're a bit outdated...

Here's my PSP to-do list:

- Find the most up-to-date and detailed guides
- Find one or two dedicated PSP hacking websites that stay active
- Get it hacked / install custom firmware
- Get it running emulators and homebrew
- Find a good price on a bigger memory stick

Now, to start off with: Did I make a good choice getting the v6.35 3001 model? I've read that it wasn't easily hackable until recently. What do I gain and lose with a 3001 versus an older model?

Also, will hacking my PSP keep me from using it with my unhacked PS3 Slim? I like the PSN (when it's not down), so I keep it hack-free. I've read that there's some nice interconnected features between the PSP and PS3, such as being able to download certain PSN games to the PSP from PS3... I hope hacking the PSP doesn't compromise that?

Thanks VERY much for any advice you will offer! I'm looking forward to using my PSP as much as my DS.
smile.gif

gabriel769

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, by v6.35, you mean that's your firmware right? If it is, then you're in luck hacking wise; I would suggest hacking it for custom firmware 6.35 pro-b5, as it is the latest cfw out that is as easy as hell to get to work. Also, a dedicated site to psp hacking and homebrew that is my personal favourite is wololo.net , they are about the best around when it comes to this sort of thing. I should let you know with 6.35 pro, you don't have to worry about it being detected and blocked by your ps3. basicaly if you download it with the fast recovery eboot, when you want to connect to your ps3, fully turn off your psp, the re boot it, then you can connect to your ps3. to re install cfw, just run the 6.35 pro fast recovery. if you are having trouble finding files you might need; my e-mail is [email protected] . e-mail me asking any questions, and i'll be glad to help.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The softmod sticky just got updated, now it's the FAQ (and partially the beginner's guide) that need fixing (which I'll try to get to). Follow the softmod sticky to hack the PSP, first.

This site keeps up to date on the major stuff, but currently for minor things a site like http://www.psp-hacks.com/ keeps better track of homebrews and such.

As for emulators, the emulator sticky was updated recently.

Stuff was outdated since the 6.x CFWs basically changed how things worked, so we were undecided on how to form the stickies, but a plan was made now.

EDIT: Oh yes, and wololo's site (the /talk forums especially) are great.

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I followed the softmod guide and installed PRO-B5 on my PSP. It looks like it's a model 09g, so that means I can't do a permanent installation... But that's just a minor inconvenience, right? Now I just need to run the quick recovery to regain PRO-B5 whenever I turn on the system.

By the way, I take it that PRO-B5 is just as easy to uninstall as it was to install? In case I ever wanted to return the PSP to its original, unhacked state...

Anyhow... What next? Thanks for your helpful replies, gabriel and Rydian.
smile.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it's just a minor issue, most people use sleep mode on the PSP most of the time (which doesn't undo the hack like turning it off does), and quick recovery is fast anyways.

And yes, if you run the PRO-B5 installer there's an option to uninstall.

I'm updating the F.A.Q. right now (which has some basic info on how to add games and homebrew), I'll post here again when it's done.

EDIT: Okay, major edits done for now.

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm reading through your FAQ now, Rydian - it's very detailed and helpful, thank you!

Hmm... About downgrading... Does the downgrading program only work if it's certain it won't brick your PSP? If so, couldn't I try running the downgrader to see if I could get my PSP's firmware down to 6.20? Since I bought this PSP used, I don't know what it's original firmware was - I only know that the previous owner had an internet access point configured, so it's possible he/she updated it... I'm guessing this is a fairly new system, since there's not a single blemish on it, and there was only one game save on it when I got it.

EDIT: I just saw your chart:

6xhackable.gif

It says that model 09g is only "Semi" hackable, so that's that... Will it always be that way, or might 09g be fully hackable in the future?

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^ Right, that's how I found out it was model 09g.

The place I bought this PSP from had several other, older systems, but none were in as good condition... So I think I'll keep this one, since the semi-hack limitation is only a minor issue.

Now I'm going to go look up some homebrew. It seems easy enough to figure out... I could use some help figuring out how to use plugins, though.
smile.gif

Also, what size of memory stick would you recommend? Does brand matter, and are there different read/write speeds I should look out for?

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Just out of curiosity, what are the chances to find a v6.35 PSP 300x in a store ?
I mean if I go to gamestop, and ask for a new PSP 3000, will it most likely have a v6.35 or the latest, non-hackable v6.36 ?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Smash Br0 said:
The place I bought this PSP from had several other, older systems, but none were in as good condition... So I think I'll keep this one, since the semi-hack limitation is only a minor issue.Yeah, sleep mode on the PSP pretty easy on the battery (to the point that some people think it's shutting off when really it's in sleep mode), so it's not really a concern.

Smash Br0 said:
Now I'm going to go look up some homebrew. It seems easy enough to figure out...Here's a contest with a bunch of stuff that's being made for it, so you can check out the new stuff.
http://wololo.net/genesis/

Smash Br0 said:
I could use some help figuring out how to use plugins, though.
smile.gif
http://gbatemp.net/t292568-psp-guides-update-info
There's some info in the first spoiler there.

QUOTE(Smash Br0 @ May 13 2011, 12:52 AM)
Also, what size of memory stick would you recommend? Does brand matter, and are there different read/write speeds I should look out for?
PSP games can be up to 1.8GB each, so many people opt for an 8GB or a 16GB... but many PSP games are smaller than that (even some 3D ones are under 300MB), and they can be compressed (CSO) to an extent. PSX games vary, some are the full disc size per disc, while some compress very well (compression done by default in conversion).

I've got an 8GB stick and I have 4 PSP games (including 2 3D RPGs), some homebrew, and a personal collection of emulators and ROMs for various systems, along with all six episode of Afro Samurai... and I still have 1.8 gigs free. Then again if you're the kind of person that wants to keep 25 PSP games on a stick, you might want to go for 16GB.

Brand isn't that much of a concern, assuming you're getting a real stick, not some cheap ebay fake stuff. Some people use an adapter along with MicroSD cards, but the price of Memory Sticks has fallen a lot so I'm not sure if that's still a good buy considering people sometimes report issues with them.

obito

I can have a title?! :O
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
you could look on dealextreme.com for a memory stick, its probably 90%-5% of getting a good stick to a bad one, plus they're cheap.

DSdonkey77

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Where can I get a super cheap 16gb pro duo, i have been looking for ages, btw, I'm in canada so amazon.com doesn't work for me and amazon.ca sucks monkey balls lol

dlk10000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just for reference... I bought a PSP 3000 today at Kmart with 6.35 on it. The guy at the store let me open it in the store to make sure it had 6.35 or below on it. Manufacture date was 02/22/11. So there are still 6.35's out there. Hope this helps someone.

DSdonkey77

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
dlk10000 said:
Just for reference... I bought a PSP 3000 today at Kmart with 6.35 on it. The guy at the store let me open it in the store to make sure it had 6.35 or below on it. Manufacture date was 02/22/11. So there are still 6.35's out there. Hope this helps someone.
Thats interesting, I didn't think there would be, that's cool of the guy to let you open it!

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update:

Finished Cave Story. Awesome game - any other homebrew as good?

I could not get rfootage to work. Incompatible with 3.65 firmware, maybe?

Still unclear on what exactly I'm missing out on with my 3001, compared to earlier, fully-hackable models... Anything significant that just won't work on 3.65 PRO-B5?

I've still got a lot to learn about PSP...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Smash Br0 said:
Finished Cave Story. Awesome game - any other homebrew as good?Idunno'. Cave Story's one of those epic games, it got official ports for the DS/Wii and is getting a 3DS remake.

Powder is good if you like roguelikes like Nethack. Other than that, keep an eye on the genesis competition.
http://wololo.net/genesis/

Smash Br0 said:
I could not get rfootage to work. Incompatible with 3.65 firmware, maybe?Never tried it on 6.x.

QUOTE(Smash Br0 @ May 19 2011, 06:44 PM)
Still unclear on what exactly I'm missing out on with my 3001, compared to earlier, fully-hackable models... Anything significant that just won't work on 3.65 PRO-B5?
Mostly POPS/PSX support is lacking, and some plugins.

obito

I can have a title?! :O
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
i think Rrootage is old.. It stopped working when cfw could no longer support the 1.5 kernel addon i think..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: