OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.rydas.com
XP
Country
United States
I heard about Walmart selling the Rock Band bundle for 139, so when I saw one I decided to go ahead and grab it. I vaguely know that the 3000 wasn't as easy to hack as some of the other PSPs but I figured I could pick it up and do my homework. Well, I now know that I can only use ChickHen and that if I ever shut down my PSP I have to go through all that stuff again. I also know that if I try to do anything permanent, I'll brick my PSP (and there doesn't seem to be any chances of that changing). I also know if I ever update my firmware (the firmware on the bundle seems to be right) past 5.03, I'll lose my chance to use ChickHen.

So, I'm out right at 150 USD after tax. It's a pretty good deal, but I'm really set on playing PS1 games on the PSP and I don't want the limitations of what Sony makes available. At this point I'd gladly trade everything I have for a hackable PSP 2000, but I don't think I can buy a PSP 2000 (that I know is hackable) for less than $200. I was just wondering if you guys had any advice? I heard the 3000 has some screen issues, but hypothetically it's better right? As far as the 1000, they seem to be pretty hard to find new and I'm wary of dead pixels/scratched screens.

Should I keep I just keep what I have? Or, should I shop for another PSP in particular? I'd love to have one that allows me to do permanent custom firmware (and runs less risk of permanently bricking it). I'm completely new to PSPs and I'm torn because I know I got a pretty good deal but I also have my heart set on being able to use the PSP as I see fit (not as Sony sees fit).

KrAzY3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.rydas.com
XP
Country
United States
BlackDave said:
have you checked the firmware version on your psp now?

From what I've read it comes with 5.02 (and Rock Band forces updated to 5.03). I haven't opened it yet because I'm still not sure if I want to return it (Walmart has liberal return policies but I I did pay 150 bucks so I don't want to take chances). I guess that's the other thing that has me on the fence. Obviously a God of War or Daxter PSP 2000 would be perfect for what I want, but this way I do have something in hand that at least has some sort of method for custom firmware. If I return it, I might have a bit of trouble just walking into a store and getting another hackable PSP.

KrAzY3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.rydas.com
XP
Country
United States
rikuumi said:
1. go to walmart
2. return it
3. buy psp go
4. be happy and play L_E_G_A_L games you pirate

Uhh thanks for the input but I certainly have no desire to get a PSP Go. My wife has a touch (I'm glad we didn't pay for it, her sister gave it to her) and almost all the games on there are crap. I was quite disappointed by the whole PSP Go concept since that's obvious a move to "casual games" rather than ones with actual depth. Fortunately as I already stated my main priority is playing PSX games so I'm not too worried about the Sony taking a turn towards crappy games...

asdf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rikuumi said:
1. go to walmart
2. return it
3. buy psp go

his signatureNintendo DS - R4DS + EZFlash 3 in 1
Nintendo Wii - WiiGator's Backup Launcher 0.3g
Playstation 2 - FreeMCBoot + ESR

Anyway, I'd go and return it and try and get a PSP-1000 or a PSP-2000 that's permanentaly hackable. Much more convenient.

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rikuumi said:
1. go to walmart
2. return it
3. buy psp go

according to your signature.... you have a flashcart on ds and a backup loader on wii....

don't call pirate...

as for the PSP 3000 as long as you put it in sleep mode you'll be fine hacking it... mine 6.10.... (i couldn't resist the new games on the stores xD)

Gagarin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What I would do - keep it and trade it with a kid for 2000 (that's what my friend did). He gave him new psp, add two umd disc and both of them were happy (official reason, I want different color).
The kid was unaware that he is treading hackable psp couse he was 9
smile.gif

Just try to help....

Phazon13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got a 3000 too with chickhen and cfwe. Just deleted it to install gen tomorrow. Sometimes I turned it off but since i let the files on the sd, the psp is hacked again in 1 minute. And I don't need to write in flash again.
smile.gif

Evilmaster1985

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To KrAzY3: It is not hard to find a proper working 100x model.
Just make sure everything functions normal and has not much dead pixels.

After you get the thing order a new faceplate and button set.
You might wanna order a screwdriver with it that allows you to open the PSP.

Replacing the faceplate + buttons is real easy and the result is a almost new PSP 100x.

Greetz, Vistabuser.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
If the PSP is hackable then:
Use chickhen to enable you to view stuff in your ISO folder (when you're on ofw you can't see games you've downloaded in your ISO folder). Use hellcat's recovery flasher to change your PSP to cfw... That's what I did with my old PSP which was on ofw, and I didn't have pandora.

Evilmaster1985

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raika said:
If the PSP is hackable then:
Use chickhen to enable you to view stuff in your ISO folder (when you're on ofw you can't see games you've downloaded in your ISO folder). Use hellcat's recovery flasher to change your PSP to cfw... That's what I did with my old PSP which was on ofw, and I didn't have pandora.

However not all models these days accept full custom firmware.
Even better flashing full CFW to a unhackable PSP will render it useless. (Brick it)

To find out or the PSP is hackable the PSP must be updated to 5.03.
Run the ChickHEN exploit and PSPident to identify its mother board.
As only by that we can be sure if the motherboard takes full CFW.

If not a CFWenabler must be used along the ChickHEN to be able to run backups.

Now if your PSP 200x comes with a firmware higher than 5.03 you will not be able to check its motherboard version via PSPident.
In this case the only way to find out or it is hackable would be to insert a pandora battery.
If the backlight comes on and the power led powers on by just inserting the pandora battery in your PSP: It is hackable.
Else: No.

The guy in this topic had kinda the same question: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=188592

Greetz, Vistabuser.

KrAzY3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.rydas.com
XP
Country
United States
asdf said:
Anyway, I'd go and return it and try and get a PSP-1000 or a PSP-2000 that's permanentaly hackable. Much more convenient.
I'd like to do that, but I don't think I can find a new PSP-1000 or a hackable PSP 2000 (for less than 200). It's kind of hard to pay at least $50 extra plus have to get the battery and all that. Is it definitely worth it?

Gagarin said:
What I would do - keep it and trade it with a kid for 2000 (that's what my friend did). He gave him new psp, add two umd disc and both of them were happy (official reason, I want different color).
The kid was unaware that he is treading hackable psp couse he was 9
smile.gif

I'd gladly trade my 3000 with Rock Band for a hackable 2000 in good working order. I saw a kid a couple weeks ago that had a 1000 and no clue about custom firmware or any of that. To someone like that I'd assume a 3000 with Rock Band is a sweet deal. I did that with my slim PS2 actually, I traded it for a fat one. I'd have to get the opportunity though...

Phazon13 said:
Got a 3000 too with chickhen and cfwe. Just deleted it to install gen tomorrow. Sometimes I turned it off but since i let the files on the sd, the psp is hacked again in 1 minute. And I don't need to write in flash again.
smile.gif

Any more info or advice? Chickhen sounds like a pain to install but you're saying it's easy to reinstall it? That would make a difference. Also, since I'm new to this I'm not entirely sure what my options are after I get Chickhen going vs. completely hackable PSPs.

QUOTE(Vistabuser @ Nov 2 2009, 10:09 AM) To KrAzY3: It is not hard to find a proper working 100x model.
Just make sure everything functions normal and has not much dead pixels.
That's kind of the problem and why I don't have a PSP yet. I don't know of a place that lets me play a used PSP before I buy it. I'm very wary of all the things that can go wrong and if my used game experience is any indication, I seriously doubt people have treated their used PSPs well. If I can try one out and see how it works that would be different (that and from what I understand the 2000 is improved).

QUOTE(Vistabuser @ Nov 2 2009, 10:23 AM)
To find out or the PSP is hackable the PSP must be updated to 5.03.
Run the ChickHEN exploit and PSPident to identify its mother board.
Well, the one I have is a 3000 so I know it's not fully hackable.

Thanks for the replies!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr