I just found out my nephews 3DS I hacked for him stopped working so I need advice

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
deleting the game and reinstalling it, is basically the same as formatting the sd card. when you reinstall the game, i figured it installs automatically a .sav file with it.

so i got the "unable to use the save data since its not the latest data. would you like to create new save data?" error. checkpoint wont show ssb and right now i dont know further. i will try researching a bit if it is even possible to restore.

but do you have the same error message, or is it saying something else?
I remember it saying the data is corrupted. Let's just forget it. I do appreciate you trying it help but I'd rather just be done with it and my nephew will just have to play SSB all over again. I was able to get half of the save files back. That's better than nothing. It's obviously not as easy as using checkpoint or none of the save files are for SSB. Whatever the case, I have spent way too long on his system as it is and it does load up much faster now so I am okay with moving on. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Reactions: JackTheFroster

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
deleting the game and reinstalling it, is basically the same as formatting the sd card. when you reinstall the game, i figured it installs automatically a .sav file with it.

so i got the "unable to use the save data since its not the latest data. would you like to create new save data?" error. checkpoint wont show ssb and right now i dont know further. i will try researching a bit if it is even possible to restore.

but do you have the same error message, or is it saying something else?
If you delete a game and reinstall it. it will delete any current save and will put a fresh completely unused empty one in its place. Its one thing I would be against right now for trying to get the save back

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I remember it saying the data is corrupted. Let's just forget it. I do appreciate you trying it help but I'd rather just be done with it and my nephew will just have to play SSB all over again. I was able to get half of the save files back. That's better than nothing. It's obviously not as easy as using checkpoint or none of the save files are for SSB. Whatever the case, I have spent way too long on his system as it is and it does load up much faster now so I am okay with moving on. Thanks again for everyone's help.
Alright, i think SSB isnt as painful to restart as other games like pokemon or animal crossing. glad you actually restored some of the games at least!

If you delete a game and reinstall it. it will delete any current save and will put a fresh completely unused empty one in its place. Its one thing I would be against right now for trying to get the save back
it actually worked. i deleted all checkpoint files while i still had the .sav backed up with some progress. that made checkpoint re-list all games and ssb showed up again. i pasted the .sav file in the ssb title folder, got the "unable to use the save" message again. backed up the save with checkpoint, restored it, and... i had my progress back. i dont know why you would be against this method since it would have been the only possible way to get the ssb progress back. but i guess none of these .sav files were actually for ssb...

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright, i think SSB isnt as painful to restart as other games like pokemon or animal crossing. glad you actually restored some of the games at least!

it actually worked. i deleted all checkpoint files while i still had the .sav backed up with some progress. that made checkpoint re-list all games and ssb showed up again. i pasted the .sav file in the ssb title folder, got the "unable to use the save" message again. backed up the save with checkpoint, restored it, and... i had my progress back. i dont know why you would be against this method since it would have been the only possible way to get the ssb progress back. but i guess none of these .sav files were actually for ssb...
Thats cause i have seen people lose GOOD saves when people have said to reinstall a game without proper backups. encrypted ones are decent but the checkpoint decrypted ones are better to have on hand.

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I tried all 3 with the method I posted about earlier. When I backed up the restored .sav, it didn't give me any numbers to where I could change the name. It just listed new... and when I would restore it, nothing happened. Usually, after you backup a save with checkpoint, it gives you a file with numbers that you can change if you want. That wasn't the case with me. Backup would say successful but there wouldn't be anything to restore and I would open the game anyway and just get a corrupted file. That was how I was instructed to do it so unless that is wrong, none of the saves were for SSB or something is wrong with checkpoint.

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thats cause i have seen people lose GOOD saves when people have said to reinstall a game without proper backups. encrypted ones are decent but the checkpoint decrypted ones are better to have on hand.
of course, thats why in first place we talked about an sd backup with checkpoint backups. but somehow the sd backups got deleted and at least some .sav files were restored. otherwise it would have been never that complicated... but you are indeed absolutely right.

I tried all 3 with the method I posted about earlier. When I backed up the restored .sav, it didn't give me any numbers to where I could change the name. It just listed new... and when I would restore it, nothing happened. Usually, after you backup a save with checkpoint, it gives you a file with numbers that you can change if you want. That wasn't the case with me. Backup would say successful but there wouldn't be anything to restore and I would open the game anyway and just get a corrupted file. That was how I was instructed to do it so unless that is wrong, none of the saves were for SSB or something is wrong with checkpoint.
try deleting the files in the 3ds/checkpoint folder on the sd card. do not delete the folders in it, especially not the saves, just the files. open checkpoint to reload everything and try again if checkpoint can backup and restore ssb again. that worked for me. i think checkpoint still can run into some errors when it cant load everything properly. when i tried to backup ssb, i think i did it in like 5 seconds while checkpoint needed longer to list all games properly and then ssb disappeared until i deleted the files and let checkpoint reload everything properly again.

Last edited by JackTheFroster,

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
of course, thats why in first place we talked about an sd backup with checkpoint backups. but somehow the sd backups got deleted and at least some .sav files were restored. otherwise it would have been never that complicated... but you are indeed absolutely right.

try deleting the files in the 3ds/checkpoint folder on the sd card. do not delete the folders in it, especially not the saves, just the files. open checkpoint to reload everything and try again if checkpoint can backup and restore ssb again. that worked for me. i think checkpoint still can run into some errors when it cant load everything properly. when i tried to backup ssb, i think i did it in like 5 seconds while checkpoint needed longer to list all games properly and then ssb disappeared until i deleted the files and let checkpoint reload everything properly again.
So delete which files from the picture? Then, copy the first restored 512KB .sav file to the SSB data on the SD card again replacing the current one, then backup that save and see if I get a number file and if I do or don't, restore the save and then boot up the game? If I get an error, put the SD card back in the comp, delete the same checkpoint files that will be there again, try the next 512KB .sav file and do the same thing over again?

Attachments

• Screenshot (49).png
    Screenshot (49).png
    147.9 KB · Views: 53

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
delete all 4 files in the picture from config.json to titles.sha. let checkpoint reload everything properly. if you can backup correctly again, repeat what you said. copy and overwrite a restored save into the ssb folder, you might also open ssb before using checkpoint to see if it says something like in my case "unable to use the save". otherwise you should backup the save with checkpoint, restore it immediately after and test the game. if checkpoint wont work correctly again, delete those 4 files again.

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
delete all 4 files in the picture from config.json to titles.sha. let checkpoint reload everything properly. if you can backup correctly again, repeat what you said. copy and overwrite a restored save into the ssb folder, you might also open ssb before using checkpoint to see if it says something like in my case "unable to use the save". otherwise you should backup the save with checkpoint, restore it immediately after and test the game. if checkpoint wont work correctly again, delete those 4 files again.
By deleting those files, checkpoint no longer shows SSB. The game has to be open at least once for checkpoint to see it so I can't even attempt to backup anything. When I load the game, I get the same message as always: The save data is corrupted and will be overwritten. I can't delete those files in checkpoint every time because then there is nothing inc checkpoint for me to attempt to back up. You just keep getting me more and more confused. The universe does not want me to recover this SSB save. It's over.

Now, when I click through the screens, it's telling me there is an error on the SD card and the data can't be saved. The game cannot be started because the SD card and or extra data is unavailable. Now what? Other game saves work fine. Do I have to delete the SSB cia and DLC and update and reinstall them with checkpoint all over again?

Last edited by rustyshakelford,

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
By deleting those files, checkpoint no longer shows SSB. The game has to be open at least once for checkpoint to see it so I can't even attempt to backup anything. When I load the game, I get the same message as always: The save data is corrupted and will be overwritten. I can't delete those files in checkpoint every time because then there is nothing inc checkpoint for me to attempt to back up. You just keep getting me more and more confused. The universe does not want me to recover this SSB save. It's over.

Now, when I click through the screens, it's telling me there is an error on the SD card and the data can't be saved. The game cannot be started because the SD card and or extra data is unavailable. Now what? Other game saves work fine. Do I have to delete the SSB cia and DLC and update and reinstall them with checkpoint all over again?
alright... i cant stop trying to help, so sorry if i confused you. reinstalling the game should fix it and i hope this finally comes to an end and your nephew can enjoy playing 3ds again.

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if the game wont delete the update and dlc, just the game
Okay I believe if I delete through FBI, I can choose what to delete(do I delete just the title or title and ticket?) but if I go to the 3DS settings and delete software, it will delete everything. I will try to just delete the game and then reinstall it and report back.

Reactions: JackTheFroster

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay I believe if I delete through FBI, I can choose what to delete(do I delete just the title or title and ticket?) but if I go to the 3DS settings and delete software, it will delete everything. I will try to just delete the game and then reinstall it and report back.
just try title only

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome