I just found out my nephews 3DS I hacked for him stopped working so I need advice

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most threads like this do not drag on for eight pages.

Has anyone already mentioned that Youtube videos are a very poor source of advice?

Like I said, the .sav files you have are different sizes, so try to replace the .sav file on the card with one of approximately the same size.

Also, like I said, if you try to replace the save data for Animal Crossing with different Animal Crossing save data, Animal Crossing will report the save data as corrupt. After copying the .sav file, you will need to use Checkpoint on your 3DS to export the data and then re-import it again. This may seem unintuitive, but it is necessary.
Actually, I have mostly had good experiences with youtube videos but I agree that sometimes you don't always find a good one.

Here are the size files I was able to recover in the attached pic. I am thinking the 10,240 KB 1_5 sav might be smash bros since there is a lot to save in that game? Smash Bros shows as 512 KB right now on the 3DS but that has not been played ver the recovered save files may or my not have.
Is there a video on how to use checkpoint to import and export so I don't screw it up as I have never done that before?

Attachments

• Screenshot (29).png
    Screenshot (29).png
    168.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited by rustyshakelford,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here are the size files I was able to recover in the attached pic.
So you have three files that are 512 KB, one file that is 128 KB, one file that is 1024 KB, and one file that is 10240 KB. (Why didn't you just say so?)

I am thinking the 10,240 KB 1_5 sav might be smash bros since there is a lot to save in that game?
That's probably Animal Crossing; it has come up before. (Why would you expect Smash Bros to have more save data than Animal Crossing..?)

Smash Bros shows as 512 KB right now on the 3DS
Then you should replace it with one of the 512 KB files that was recovered. Once again, Smash Bros is likely it object even if you get it right, so you should figure out the other two 512 KB files first.

Is there a video on how to use checkpoint to import and export so I don't screw it up as I have never done that before?
I doubt you will screw it up.

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you have three files that are 512 KB, one file that is 128 KB, one file that is 1024 KB, and one file that is 10240 KB. (Why didn't you just say so?)

That's probably Animal Crossing; it has come up before. (Why would you expect Smash Bros to have more save data than Animal Crossing..?)

Then you should replace it with one of the 512 KB files that was recovered. Once again, Smash Bros is likely it object even if you get it right, so you should figure out the other two 512 KB files first.

I doubt you will screw it up.
I don't know I thought it took up a lot of save data. I have not played SSB for 3DS or Animal crossing so I am not sure. Is there a good youtube video you can link me to? So copy the 10,240 file to the Animal crossing data and delete the current .sav file in there? What game is "it" that I should replace with one of the 512KB files? I have no idea how to use checkpoint like you mentioned so I will have to do this slowly and one at a time. I am a noob with all this save data stuff.
The 3DS games he had were Animal Crossing new leaf, all the Mario Party games, NSMB 2 gold edition, Luigi's Mansion, Captain Toad, Star Fox 64, Super Smash Bros, Team kirby Clash, Star Fox 64 and Pokemon Omega Ruby.

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm still confused(shocking right?) Let's use the game Star Fox 64 has an example. How do I find the file for that game and then where do I put the save file? Also, am I just doing one at a time? For example, I go to the Star Fox 64 folder, put the 00000001.sav file in it, put the SD card in the 3DS, boot up Star Fox 64 and see if there is save data. If not, I put the card back in the computer, go to the right file and put 0000001_1.sav file in it and do the process with all the .sav files until one of them works? There are only 6 .sav files and I listed the 3DS games already. There aren't a lot of them on the card so as long as I figure out the name of the game file and where to put the file, it shouldn't take too long correct? Also, I did open Star Fox 64 to see if it was working so would have overwrite any save or since I did not save anything, it wouldn't matter if I opened the game or not?
so what you said here was mostly correct.
if you go to this site: http://www.3dsdb.com/
you will search for the game you want to try first. if we take Star Fox 64 USA as an example, you have 2 possible title ids. i think to generate a sav file, you should try playing the game until you can save.
So the possible ids are:
000400000005CC00

the folders in the title folder are named after 2 parts of the id. for example:
00040000 \ 0005CC00

after finding one of the folders that match up with the title id, you look for the .sav file. remember to rename them always to "0000001.sav" and not with the "_1" and so on. you can either rename the already existing .sav on the sd card or delete them. remember that the recovered saves cannot be renamed as the same name in one folder. maybe you already know all that, but im just trying to be sure.
after you have copied and renamed the saves, so that on the sd card in the games title id folder is only one of the recovered .sav file named "0000001.sav", you put the sd card back in the 3ds and try the game until there is a working save.

as @Kwyjor also said, games like animal crossing need the save file to be backed up and recovered by checkpoint.

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so what you said here was mostly correct.
if you go to this site: http://www.3dsdb.com/
you will search for the game you want to try first. if we take Star Fox 64 USA as an example, you have 2 possible title ids. i think to generate a sav file, you should try playing the game until you can save.
So the possible ids are:
000400000005CC00

the folders in the title folder are named after 2 parts of the id. for example:
00040000 \ 0005CC00

after finding one of the folders that match up with the title id, you look for the .sav file. remember to rename them always to "0000001.sav" and not with the "_1" and so on. you can either rename the already existing .sav on the sd card or delete them. remember that the recovered saves cannot be renamed as the same name in one folder. maybe you already know all that, but im just trying to be sure.
after you have copied and renamed the saves, so that on the sd card in the games title id folder is only one of the recovered .sav file named "0000001.sav", you put the sd card back in the 3ds and try the game until there is a working save.

as @Kwyjor also said, games like animal crossing need the save file to be backed up and recovered by checkpoint.
I know how to find the games now. I need to go to sleep but will try to figure this .sav and checkpoint stuff out tomorrow.

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know how to find the games now. I need to go to sleep but will try to figure this .sav and checkpoint suff stuff out tomorrow.
in the time i might collect or make myself some videos to get better explaination. i know that it can be pretty confusing by reading all of that and dont know how to recreate it.

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in the time i might collect or make myself some videos to get better explaination. i know that it can be pretty confusing by reading all of that and dont know how to recreate it.
Yes videos are very helpful and your last one helped me out big time. Everything else is working great. Those 6 sav files are all that remain but if I can't figure it out, he will be okay too.

Reactions: JackTheFroster

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here are all of the files between different programs that I was able to recover. Do you know what any of them are other than the saves? I can tell some of them are games but I already downloaded those again.

Attachments

• Screenshot (15).png
    Screenshot (15).png
    191.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot (16).png
    Screenshot (16).png
    196 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot (17).png
    Screenshot (17).png
    198.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot (32).png
    Screenshot (32).png
    193.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot (31).png
    Screenshot (31).png
    190.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot (33).png
    Screenshot (33).png
    194.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot (34).png
    Screenshot (34).png
    128 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot (35).png
    Screenshot (35).png
    138.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot (37).png
    Screenshot (37).png
    181.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot (36).png
    Screenshot (36).png
    179.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot (38).png
    Screenshot (38).png
    182.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot (39).png
    Screenshot (39).png
    185.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot (40).png
    Screenshot (40).png
    185.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot (42).png
    Screenshot (42).png
    187.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot (41).png
    Screenshot (41).png
    190 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot (43).png
    Screenshot (43).png
    185.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot (44).png
    Screenshot (44).png
    179.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot (45).png
    Screenshot (45).png
    178.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot (46).png
    Screenshot (46).png
    137.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot (47).png
    Screenshot (47).png
    162.7 KB · Views: 55

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found Luigi's Mansion! That was the one and only 128KB .sav that was recovered and it turns out it was for LM. The rest of the .sav files are 3 512KB and tried Mario Kart 7 but all 3 didn't work so I am hoping one of them is SSB but I can't try until I get help with restoring them with checkpoint. The 1028 kb file is Pokemon Omega Ruby and that also a checkpoint game so I can't try it and Animal Crossing which is the remaining big 10,240 kb, SSB or Pokemon until I can find instructions online or someone here can help me. The 512KB have to be games that I deleted for him years ago since one is not MK7 and the only other 512 KB game is SSB. He had other games on there but there were smaller titles non 3DS.

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I found Luigi's Mansion! That was the one and only 128KB .sav that was recovered and it turns out it was for LM. The rest of the .sav files are 3 512KB and tried Mario Kart 7 but all 3 didn't work so I am hoping one of them is SSB but I can't try until I get help with restoring them with checkpoint. The 1028 kb file is Pokemon Omega Ruby and that also a checkpoint game so I can't try it and Animal Crossing which is the remaining big 10,240 kb, SSB or Pokemon until I can find instructions online or someone here can help me. The 512KB have to be games that I deleted for him years ago since one is not MK7 and the only other 512 KB game is SSB. He had other games on there but there were smaller titles non 3DS.
alright, have you copied all saves that matches with the size already? then you should only have to install checkpoint if you havent already.

follow this guide and repeat the backup and restore process with every game that had issues reading the saves. skip to 1:55 if you already installed checkpoint.

and about the restored files, most of them are just the games or applications like all .app files, normal files or others. the only ones that i would say matter are the .sav files. nothing else

Last edited by JackTheFroster,

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright, have you copied all saves that matches with the size already? then you should only have to install checkpoint if you havent already.

follow this guide and repeat the backup and restore process with every game that had issues reading the saves. skip to 1:55 if you already installed checkpoint.

and about the restored files, most of them are just the games or applications like all .app files, normal files or others. the only ones that i would say matter are the .sav files. nothing else

Okay I am obviously not being clear. I have always had checkpoint. I know how to use checkpoint. I used it to backup all the saves on my nephews 3DS before I formatted it. Again though, since the folder backup I did on my laptop got erased, and I was only able to recover the 6 .sav files, checkpoint no longer has my backed up saves. For Pokemon Omega Ruby, Animal Crossing and Super Smash Bros, I have to use checkpoint. What I don't understand is the process in doing it. Do I put the recovered .savs in the right game folders on my comp and then go to the 3DS and try to boot up the game or do I go to checkpoint first? If so, am I backing up the recovered .sav I just put on there and then restoring it and then the game should recognize it? I guess I can just start trying it myself. Like I already stated, I was able to get the Luigi's mansion save working and I didn't use checkpoint. I understand that the 3 games I mentioned need checkpoint to work but like I just typed, I don't understand the order in which that needs to happen.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay I am obviously not being clear. I have always had checkpoint. I know how to use checkpoint. I used it to backup all the saves on my nephews 3DS before I formatted it. Again though, since the folder backup I did on my laptop got erased, and I was only able to recover the 6 .sav files, checkpoint no longer has my backed up saves. For Pokemon Omega Ruby, Animal Crossing and Super Smash Bros, I have to use checkpoint. What I don't understand is the process in doing it. Do I put the recovered .savs in the right game folders on my comp and then go to the 3DS and try to boot up the game or do I go to checkpoint first? If so, am I backing up the recovered .sav I just put on there and then restoring it and then the game should recognize it? I guess I can just start trying it myself. Like I already stated, I was able to get the Luigi's mansion save working and I didn't use checkpoint. I understand that the 3 games I mentioned need checkpoint to work but like I just typed, I don't understand the order in which that needs to happen.
no. checkpoint is useless on .sav files as those were encrypted. You would of needed to of decrypted the saves before this happened to have files of use for you.

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no. checkpoint is useless on .sav files as those were encrypted. You would of needed to of decrypted the saves before this happened to have files of use for you.
Please explain. The Luigi's Mansion save worked fine with no use of checkpoint. I have been told because of something Nintendo did with certain games like Pokemon Omega Ruby, Animal Crossing and SSB, I would have to use checkpoint first to get the saves to work. I will just boot them up and see what happens. This is the first I am hearing that I need to decrypt the save files. How would I go about doing that?

**EDIT** Okay so I booted up Animal Crossing and Pokemon and both games showed the save file and worked fine. Didn't even need to open checkpoint. I have no idea why I was told those wouldn't work. Now I just have to see if I can find the SSB file.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Please explain. The Luigi's Mansion save worked fine with no use of checkpoint. I have been told because of something Nintendo did with certain games like Pokemon Omega Ruby, Animal Crossing and SSB, I would have to use checkpoint first to get the saves to work. I will just boot them up and see what happens. This is the first I am hearing that I need to decrypt the save files. How would I go about doing that?

**EDIT** Okay so I booted up Animal Crossing and Pokemon and both games showed the save file and worked fine. Didn't even need to open checkpoint. I have no idea why I was told those wouldn't work. Now I just have to see if I can find the SSB file.
Acnl i could see as a problem. but thats only if by chance the game was launched after that previous save was made. as it would change the secure value. Since it wasn't. Thats all the better. and easier. for you.

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Acnl i could see as a problem. but thats only if by chance the game was launched after that previous save was made. as it would change the secure value. Since it wasn't. Thats all the better. and easier. for you.
Sadly, neither 512KB file worked for SSB. That means I have 3 512KB saves that don't work on any of the games that were on his system. Is it possible that one of them is indeed SSB and I need to use checkpoint to get the save? If so, how would I go about figuring out if it's indeed the SSB save? The only other 512 KB game he had on his system is Mario Kart 7 but all 3 512KB recovered saves didn't work either.

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Captain Toad and SSB both take like 25 seconds to load up to the main screen and then when I hit the home button, there is a 5 second delay and then when I close software it says please wait and takes 10 seconds to get back to the main menu. Does this indicate a bad rom and all I need to do is download and install a different one? SSB takes 10 seconds to load up on my personal 3DS for example and there is no lag with the home screen.

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried all 3 recovered saves for SSB but when I go to restore, nothing happens. I exited out of checkpoint and went back but same thing. I clicked the r button over and over and over and use the touch screen on restore and nothing happens. On the checkpoint screen, it just says new... I booted up the game and it says data corrupted every time.
So either checkpoint is not recognizing the save or all 3 of those files are not for SSB. When clicking on restore, I am not supposed to get a file with numbers to rename like all other backups do right? If that's the case, checkpoint was working right because nothing happens when I choose restore after backup. Backup says it was successful but no file appears and restore does nothing. Maybe I am just doing it wrong.

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
so SSB is the only save that is important restoring, or are there any other games that need to be restored? i am trying to install SSB, make some changes, save, back up the save, reinstall SSB and see if it says that the save is corrupted... if it works fine for me, it could be possible that none of those saves are for SSB...

but glad to hear that pokemon and animal crossing worked fine already ^^

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so SSB is the only save that is important restoring, or are there any other games that need to be restored? i am trying to install SSB, make some changes, save, back up the save, reinstall SSB and see if it says that the save is corrupted... if it works fine for me, it could be possible that none of those saves are for SSB...

but glad to hear that pokemon and animal crossing worked fine already ^^
It's the only game that is left that takes a 512KB save from the remaining of the 6 savs that were recovered. There are 3 512KB saves and SSB is a game that applies to the 512KB. How can you replicate my situation unless you format your card and then recover 3 random 512kb saves? If I am doing the process right with checkpoint, then none of the 512KB saves are for SSB. I went over the games I remember putting on his SD card that could have had a 512KB save and only one of them did so maybe I am just forgetting other games I delete that used 512KB.

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's the only game that is left that takes a 512KB save from the remaining of the 6 savs that were recovered. There are 3 512KB saves and SSB is a game that applies to the 512KB. How can you replicate my situation unless you format your card and then recover 3 512kb saves?
deleting the game and reinstalling it, is basically the same as formatting the sd card. when you reinstall the game, i figured it installs automatically a .sav file with it.

so i got the "unable to use the save data since its not the latest data. would you like to create new save data?" error. checkpoint wont show ssb and right now i dont know further. i will try researching a bit if it is even possible to restore.

but do you have the same error message, or is it saying something else?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.