I just found out my nephews 3DS I hacked for him stopped working so I need advice

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know what you mean by this. Where am I putting the saves? What folder? My simple question is can I just put the save files that were recovered somewhere on my SD card and have them work? I don't need to know which game they are for. If that is not possible and there is no youtube video on how to do it, let's just forget it and I will download the biggest file cia(still not sure what the different sizes mean or encrypted or decrypted) and get the games that got erased back on it. I'll just download an emulator like this one and see how it plays. I wish I could just put the games right on the 3DS menu and so it's easy for him to find and he can move them into whatever folder he wants.

the saves have to go in each specific game directory. There is, for encrypted saves, no way to just drag and drop them into one spot for the console to see and use them.

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't know what you mean by this. Where am I putting the saves? What folder? My simple question is can I just put the save files that were recovered somewhere on my SD card and have them work? I don't need to know which game they are for. If that is not possible and there is no youtube video on how to do it, let's just forget it and I will download the biggest file cia(still not sure what the different sizes mean or encrypted or decrypted) and get the games that got erased back on it. I'll just download an emulator like this one and see how it plays. I wish I could just put the games right on the 3DS menu and so it's easy for him to find and he can move them into whatever folder he wants.

i will try find or make a video about the saves. still, you should focus on installing everything on the 3ds back. but an easy answer i hope is: yes you can put the save files on the sd card to hopefully work. still, its not easy.

and for the emulation part:
Here is a debug build of beta 28: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8fxlz3zv25edtw/Debug.zip?dl=0

Please test it and send me feedback!
there is a program that lets you convert a rom (most systems are included, like gba, snes, genesis) into a cia file. that should be what you described. a tutorial is here:

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i will try find or make a video about the saves. still, you should focus on installing everything on the 3ds back. but an easy answer i hope is: yes you can put the save files on the sd card to hopefully work. still, its not easy.

there is a program that lets you convert a rom (most systems are included, like gba, snes, genesis) into a cia file. that should be what you described. a tutorial is here:

Okay thanks. Don't worry about the saves. It's too much of a hassle. It only found 6 of them so my nephew will just have to start the games over. I am downloading games now.

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay thanks. Don't worry about the saves. It's too much of a hassle. It only found 6 of them so my nephew will just have to start the games over. I am downloading games now.
either he needs to play them again, or you ask him to restore a completed save file for a game he wants. there are probably many savegames to download and you should restore them with checkpoint. maybe there is a save editor for the game, so you can change something in the save. for example change the name, get unlimited items or whatever else.

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
either he needs to play them again, or you ask him to restore a completed save file for a game he wants. there are probably many savegames to download and you should restore them with checkpoint. maybe there is a save editor for the game, so you can change something in the save. for example change the name, get unlimited items or whatever else.
I am not going to worry about how to put the 6 saves recovered saves on the folder. Now just interested in putting all the games that were deleted back to his card. Thank you again everyone for helping out a noob.

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am not going to worry about how to put the 6 saves recovered saves on the folder. Now just interested in putting all the games that were deleted back to his card. Thank you again everyone for helping out a noob.
well, if you dont care about them anymore i guess you can delete the recovered files then. or maybe you can save them until you know if you are (or your nephew is) happy with the installation so you know for sure there is no need of recovering anything else...

still, i hope i helped somehow and wasnt annoying... i know i wrote too much sometimes. and i also want to point out that the others did a great job too. for me it feels like i did put too much energy in this and was annoying for others... and i hope your nephew isnt too disappointed about the loss of the saves. sorry for even writing all that even though its just a forum...

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, if you dont care about them anymore i guess you can delete the recovered files then. or maybe you can save them until you know if you are (or your nephew is) happy with the installation so you know for sure there is no need of recovering anything else...

still, i hope i helped somehow and wasnt annoying... i know i wrote too much sometimes. and i also want to point out that the others did a great job too. for me it feels like i did put too much energy in this and was annoying for others... and i hope your nephew isnt too disappointed about the loss of the saves. sorry for even writing all that even though its just a forum...
No it's okay. The way it was described about trying to put the saves back sounded really difficult and not really worth it in the end considering I was only able to recover 6 saves. I am not about to spend an hour or more trying to figure out where they go but yeah, I will save them on my comp. Now I am trying to figure out the SNES9X program and if it can run cia files or if I need to download different ones for it. I've read CIA can crash the 3DS when exiting out. Oh and the 3DS boots on in like 15 seconds or less now so it's way better.

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No it's okay. The way it was described about trying to put the saves back sounded really difficult and not really worth it in the end considering I was only able to recover 6 saves. I am not about to spend an hour or more trying to figure out where they go but yeah, I will save them on my comp. Now I am trying to figure out the SNES9X program and if it can run cia files or if I need to download different ones for it. I've read CIA can crash the 3DS when exiting out. Oh and the 3DS boots on in like 15 seconds or less now so it's way better.
at least something with the boot time... and please look at this comment:

this should be more than perfect for installing games right on the menu

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at least something with the boot time... and please look at this comment:

this should be more than perfect for installing games right on the menu
Okay thanks I will check it out. There aren't any issues with doing this? Like I mentioned, some users stated that changing the SMC to CIA caused the 3DS to crash.

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just know there is a 300 icon limit for the home menu when making these
I just realized I used that Super Ultimate program for my 3DS and it's worked great so I will use it for my nephews too. I know about the icon limit and it won't even come close to that and he has folders anyway. Thanks for your help.

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay thanks I will check it out. There aren't any issues with doing this? Like I mentioned, some users stated that changing the SMC to CIA caused the 3DS to crash.
i dont know if it could be fixed within some updates of the injector already. just test it. otherwise you can still get back to snes9x

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont know if it could be fixed within some updates of the injector already. just test it. otherwise you can still get back to snes9x
I have been getting these errors with Super Injector: unable to find the chosen rom in the databases when loading some games and for box art I get this:the request was aborted could not create ssl/tls secure channel.

Easy fix or better to try different roms and just download the box art manually? I didn't have these issues last time I used it. I downloaded a fresh version too.

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have been getting these errors with Super Injector: unable to find the chosen rom in the databases when loading some games and for box art I get this:the request was aborted could not create ssl/tls secure channel.

Easy fix or better to try different roms and just download the box art manually? I didn't have these issues last time I used it. I downloaded a fresh version too.
Found on this thread:

"Someone already found the source of the problem; windows, an update that screwed old TLS protocols, I quote:

The cause of this error is NSUI was built with .NET 4.0, which defaults to SSL 3.0. It gets cover/title images from https://github.com/libretro-thumbnails which only supports TLS 1.2. .NET 4.6 combined with the registry fix will allow NSUI to use TLS 1.2 without needing to make any changes to the NSUI application itself. "

There is no problem with the NSUI itself and someone already made a fix called "pos TLS patcher", you can download it here:

https://github.com/TheLevelUp/pos-tls-patcher

Source of the solution: https://gbatemp.net/threads/discussion-new-super-ultimate-injector-nsui.500376/page-43"

Reactions: rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Found on this thread:

"Someone already found the source of the problem; windows, an update that screwed old TLS protocols, I quote:

The cause of this error is NSUI was built with .NET 4.0, which defaults to SSL 3.0. It gets cover/title images from https://github.com/libretro-thumbnails which only supports TLS 1.2. .NET 4.6 combined with the registry fix will allow NSUI to use TLS 1.2 without needing to make any changes to the NSUI application itself. "

There is no problem with the NSUI itself and someone already made a fix called "pos TLS patcher", you can download it here:

https://github.com/TheLevelUp/pos-tls-patcher

Source of the solution: https://gbatemp.net/threads/discussion-new-super-ultimate-injector-nsui.500376/page-43"

That worked thanks. Just in the process of getting all the games on the 3DS. This has been a learning experience that's for sure. I am glad there are forums like this one and people smart enough and kind enough to help. I do pay it forward as I have been helping people on reddit with the Super64 for N64 for the last couple of months. The Super64 is an awesome cart that's only like $50 and has every single N64 game on it and you can also put NES games and more on it too but it comes with some wonky roms and so I had to do a lot of research and got some help from others to get certain games to work and to find the proper emu.nes to play NES games. It's not as difficult as this is though but I am glad that I am able to help those with questions and that need proper emu files and roms and just general questions about how it works and how to save etc. Big thanks again to everyone in the thread that helped me out.

Reactions: JackTheFroster

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so good job with the sd card ^^ one less thing to do then.

cia updates should be marked as that. but even if the file is bigger as the game, doesnt mean it can be the game with dlc. i dont even know if a cia game is bundled with updates. but remember you can use the 3ds for game updates, so you just download and install the game cias. when connected with the internet, it asks to download the newest update for the game. if by any chance you dont want to or cant connect the 3ds to the internet, you have to download the updates too.

after installation of the game, the .sav files are located from the root of the SD Card:
X:\Nintendo 3DS\"long combination of numbers and letters"\"another long combination of numbers and letters"\title
from there on are many folders. they are named after the title ids. i attached a screenshot for an example.
for more information, i found a reddit thread:

for emulators, maybe try RetroArch. or if its too complicated to use and still not what you are searching for, try: New Super Ultimate Injector for 3DS

with the double amount of storage, either you can install and delete the cias and you back up those cias on the computer, or there could be another method to use ftp or something to install cias from your pc. not sure if you need it.

still, with the sav files its complicated. if you need any help with that, ask again ^^

and about the different sizes, games can be trimmed so the size gets smaller but you can still install the cias, or they are decrypted for citra emulator so you can use them with the emulator which seems to make the file smaller too.

I know the games he had on his 3DS. How do I find out which save file goes to which game? I understand in theory how to find the name of the game but how do I know which save file goes where? Is there is a way to find the save, where do I put in on the SD card? The games he had on the 3DS were Animal Crossing new leaf, all the Mario Party games, NSMB 2 gold edition, Luigi's Mansion, Captain Toad, Star Fox 64, Super Smash Bros, Team kirby Clash and Star Fox 64. Other games don't matter right because there is no way to know what they are correct? For example, he also had Super Mario Bros for NES, Tecmo Bouwl, Punch Out, Columns for sega etc.

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know the games he had on his 3DS. How do I find out which save file goes to which game? I understand in theory how to find the name of the game but how do I know which save file goes where? Is there is a way to find the save, where do I put in on the SD card? The games he had on the 3DS were Animal Crossing new leaf, all the Mario Party games, NSMB 2 gold edition, Luigi's Mansion, Captain Toad, Star Fox 64, Super Smash Bros, Team kirby Clash and Star Fox 64. Other games don't matter right because there is no way to know what they are correct? For example, he also had Super Mario Bros for NES, Tecmo Bouwl, Punch Out, Columns for sega etc.
the only way is to copy, paste, overwrite and test the game until there is a working savegame to play. since the saves are still "encrypted" which basically means they can not be opened or read by other systems, it might be impossible to find a faster way of restoring the saves. you can at least search for the title on the database and get the title id to open the folder for that game

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the only way is to copy, paste, overwrite and test the game until there is a working savegame to play. since the saves are still "encrypted" which basically means they can not be opened or read by other systems, it might be impossible to find a faster way of restoring the saves. you can at least search for the title on the database and get the title id to open the folder for that game
I should add that you can at least try to match up files with old data having a similar size.

The problem with this method is that some games (Animal Crossing and Smash Bros included, I think) use Anti Savegame Restore and will claim the file is "corrupted" even if it contains valid data. In cases like that, you have to use Checkpoint to back up the data and then immediately restore it again. I'm not sure what Checkpoint does if you try to use it on incorrectly-copied encrypted save data, though.

Anyway, one can also mess around with 3ds-save-tool on a PC in cases like this, but it's definitely a little tricky.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/questio...id-from-00000001-sav-file.522645/post-9615243
https://gbatemp.net/threads/extract...nd-sd-contents-with-ninfs.499994/post-9647201

Reactions: JackTheFroster

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I should add that you can at least try to match up files with old data having a similar size.

The problem with this method is that some games (Animal Crossing and Smash Bros included, I think) use Anti Savegame Restore and will claim the file is "corrupted" even if it contains valid data. In cases like that, you have to use Checkpoint to back up the data and then immediately restore it again. I'm not sure what Checkpoint does if you try to use it on incorrectly-copied encrypted save data, though.

Anyway, one can also mess around with 3ds-save-tool on a PC in cases like this, but it's definitely a little tricky.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/questio...id-from-00000001-sav-file.522645/post-9615243
https://gbatemp.net/threads/extract...nd-sd-contents-with-ninfs.499994/post-9647201
I'm still confused(shocking right?) Let's use the game Star Fox 64 has an example. How do I find the file for that game and then where do I put the save file? Also, am I just doing one at a time? For example, I go to the Star Fox 64 folder, put the 00000001.sav file in it, put the SD card in the 3DS, boot up Star Fox 64 and see if there is save data. If not, I put the card back in the computer, go to the right file and put 0000001_1.sav file in it and do the process with all the .sav files until one of them works? There are only 6 .sav files and I listed the 3DS games already. There aren't a lot of them on the card so as long as I figure out the name of the game file and where to put the file, it shouldn't take too long correct? Also, I did open Star Fox 64 to see if it was working so would have overwrite any save or since I did not save anything, it wouldn't matter if I opened the game or not?

All of the Super Nintendo games I downloaded are giving me the message this is New Nintendo 3DS software. It cannot be used on this system. How do I find the rom that will work on a 3DS XL? I am doing this youtube vid to see if it works Turns out the games don't save and crashes according to the comments. I will just use SNES9X.
I also just realized the volume slider does not work. I cannot lower the sound. Will look for a video fix on that after I put the rest of the games on the system.

Last edited by rustyshakelford,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm still confused(shocking right?)
Most threads like this do not drag on for eight pages.

Has anyone already mentioned that Youtube videos are a very poor source of advice?

For example, I go to the Star Fox 64 folder, put the 00000001.sav file in it, put the SD card in the 3DS, boot up Star Fox 64 and see if there is save data. If not, I put the card back in the computer, go to the right file and put 0000001_1.sav file in it and do the process with all the .sav files until one of them works?
Like I said, the .sav files you have are different sizes, so try to replace the .sav file on the card with one of approximately the same size.

Also, like I said, if you try to replace the save data for Animal Crossing with different Animal Crossing save data, Animal Crossing will report the save data as corrupt. After copying the .sav file, you will need to use Checkpoint on your 3DS to export the data and then re-import it again. This may seem unintuitive, but it is necessary.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: im back