I just found out my nephews 3DS I hacked for him stopped working so I need advice

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I installed Luma on his 3DS years ago with the help of people here. I told him to never update the system or mess with anything. Well, it turns out that his 3DS doesn't work after an update he did on the system. This happened 8 months ago and I am only finding out about it now. The system will barely power on. The update completely bricked his 3DS. I took it to a game fixing place but they wouldn't touch it. Is there any hope of me doing something to the system or is it dead? I have no idea why he didn't listen to me but unless it's a sheer coincidence that the system just died on it's own, it's his fault for not listening to me and he has lost all privilege of owning a hacked system.

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I installed Luma on his 3DS years ago with the help of people here. I told him to never update the system or mess with anything. Well, it turns out that his 3DS doesn't work after an update he did on the system. This happened 8 months ago and I am only finding out about it now. The system will barely power on. The update completely bricked his 3DS. I took it to a game fixing place but they wouldn't touch it. Is there any hope of me doing something to the system or is it dead? I have no idea why he didn't listen to me but unless it's a sheer coincidence that the system just died on it's own, it's his fault for not listening to me and he has lost all privilege of owning a hacked system.
Update luma

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update luma
Last I tried, I couldn't even get to it. If it's not a useless paperweight, that's good news. I don't have it on me but I will troubleshoot more when I do. I'll have to figure out how to update luma if I can even access it.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last I tried, I couldn't even get to it. If it's not a useless paperweight, that's good news. I don't have it on me but I will troubleshoot more when I do. I'll have to figure out how to update luma if I can even access it.

That's literally most likely all you need to do. Simply update Luma. To access it you just pull the sd card out, put the latest Luma files on it in the proper location with your PC or laptop, and then put it back in the 3DS.

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's literally most likely all you need to do. Simply update Luma. To access it you just pull the sd card out, put the latest Luma files on it in the proper location with your PC or laptop, and then put it back in the 3DS.
This is what I was thinking. It was actually an ex BF of my sister that took it to the game place and is telling me this stuff. I don't think he did it right when he told me about it not turning on right. I am sure I can find guides here on how to update Luma. I will post again if I am having any issues or if it works, to thanks for helping.

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the 3DS with me. There is no video or sound. It powers on and can charge but I get no video or audio. I powered off the system so now I update Luma and that will give me video again? I haven't updated Luma in years. Where is the best video or guide on how to do it?

https://github.com/LumaTeam/Luma3DS/releases Is this the latest version of luma?

This is not the problem?

Last edited by rustyshakelford,

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the SD card in my computer but I can put it back in the 3DS and see if I can boot into recovery mode. BRB. What do you mean check for Luma and Godmode9?

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And you don't need the sd card to boot into recovery mode.
No. It doesn't boot into recovery mode and I need to hold the power button down for 20 seconds for it to turn off. I have R+L+A+ (D-PAD)-UP pressed and held and then power on button with a pen in my mouth and keep holding the buttons and nothing. I held them for 1 min.
I just pressed the power on button. Am I supposed to hold that down too?

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried again and nothing. I will update luma but I am thinking that's not the problem. Maybe it's the wifi chip like the video shows.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Of course they wouldn't touch it. They do hardware repairs, they don't know anything about softmodding, there's nothing for them to fix.
If you can see the Luma settings when holding SELECT on power on (with the SD card in) it's probably a simple fix.
If the Luma settings won't show up the fault might not have anything to do with the update, it might be a hardware issue, assuming the files are all on the SD still.

rustyshakelford

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the sd card in the computer now. I downloaded the latest luma. Where do I put the boot.3ds and the boot.firm file? The folders and files are all there.
The 3ds HAS NO VIDEO. Recovery DOES NOT WORK. I didn't try the select then power on. I was not told to.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have the sd card in the computer now. I downloaded the latest luma. Where do I put the boot.3ds and the boot.firm file? The folders and files are all there.
The 3ds HAS NO VIDEO. Recovery DOES NOT WORK. I didn't try the select then power on. I was not told to.
Who told you not to? As far as I can see nobody in this thread ever said that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey