I just found an old box in my garage....

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I was reminded by a person on another forum that they were registering their old DS games on CN, so I figured I might see just what would happen if I were to register my stuff. Shuffled through my junk, found the box that contained all my DS cases (in very nice condition, but all my games are in my 18-slot cases), but I noticed a box on a shelf that looked like it hadn't been touched in a long time. I pull it down and open it, and what do I find?

fXFV72g.jpg

Let me tell you, I was completely ecstatic. Not just my NES, but also my SNES, along with all my games (plus probably some borrowed from friends long ago). The thing though is that I have no idea if they still work.

I took them in, and as I was holding the NES, I noticed the lid was loose. My mind began to fill with thoughts of the distant past. It was like that because I had opened it. Some time in my childhood, the NES fell off the stand it was on, and the result was that the audio got screwed up. Unless I pressed decently hard on the bottom side of the console on a specific point, the Square Wave channels would be silent (meaning all you'd hear are the triangle/bass, the noise, and the DPCM channels). I initially began taking the system apart, making sure I didn't do anything stupid that would prevent the system from ever turning on again, but I didn't get far because for I was so young, and it looked so complicated just from the top-side.

Anyways, I still don't know if it works. It's late so I don't want to go fiddling around the TV in the other room to plug in the RF switch, but the power brick was there, so I checked to see if any power would run through it. Plugged it in and turned on the system to be greeted with the timeless slow blinking signal. Got a cartridge, blew into it and into the system, and with numerous attempts to change the state of the power light, it finally stayed on. That's as far as I got. Will check with the TV tomorrow.

The SNES is a different story. The power brick for that is missing, and I'm doubtful the NES one will work with it. Even if I had it, it has a problem with the power connection. Long ago (again), it stopped working because it wasn't receiving power. My dad took a look at it, and with a carefully placed piece of foil inserted into the port, plugging the power in and tapping it together, he was able to make it work again. Looking online now at how it should look, it appears the middle plastic cylinder broke off (as the foil which reside in it now is in that spot). Because of no power brick, I can't test it. As far as video/audio, I have the RF switch, but I also have a composite cable from my N64 that may work with it.

So I'm going to test the NES in the morning, but while I don't consider these a priority, it would be nice if both were in working order to the point where I could play games on them. I'll be back tomorrow to possibly request some help if I am in need to do some repair or whatnot (like with the audio problem on the NES and power problem on the SNES).

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Ok, got up this morning to check if the NES was still operable, as yes, it was. Did have to mess with the positioning of the cartridge slightly while pushed down in the unit (which seemed to do a better job than blowing on the connectors). All the games I tried were playable, but I think the controller I used has a slight problem with the B button unless I press down hard enough. The audio is the same as it ever was, playing only the last 3 channels instead of all 5. I did manage to find out which chip on the board caused the problem. It's the one above the CPU, and left of the expansion port.

DSC04047-Large.jpg

Pushing slightly on the left side of the chip brings back the full audio. I assume one or more of the connectors is not properly connected to the motherboard, as pushing is likely making them connect again. I've never done soldering before, so I'm rather hesitant to mess with these sort of things.

Haven't been able to check the SNES because of the missing AC adapter, but I checked online about that problem with the power connection, and it seems that was a common problem, but easily replaceable because that plastic cylinder is connected to that entire back plate, and that plate is removable (unless there's anything with the actual wires that must be properly connected). The plate seems to be selling for around $15 (which imo is rather expensive for such a piece), but rather than buy it without testing first to see if any power could run through the system, I'm gonna try and find that AC adapter (or a universal adapter I used to own).

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Just in case, in the event that I cannot find the AC Adapter for the SNES and/or need a replacement back panel, where would you all suggest I go for getting them? I'm not looking to spend a lot of money (in the event that the system simply doesn't power on at all even with the appropriate items needed), nor do I want to get a an AC adapter known for screen discoloring (I think RetroAC does this).

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Seems I was wrong about where to press on the audio chip for the NES. Thought it would work on the left side, but now it only seems to work on the right side. Anyways, if anyone cares to hear what it would sound like without the channels I mentioned, here's a taste.

It's Airman's stage music, first as it should be for about 25 seconds, then it swaps to what it sounds like without the relevant channels.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/urelmi9csl4x1am/Mega Man 2_full.mp3

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
C Clamp should fix that NES right up! lol

Duct tape for that SNES!!!

I am kidding, would be best to try and fix them right because they seem to be in semi working order?

At least you have the games :) That's the best part, so if you had too you could buy one of those Retron thingies.

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
C Clamp should fix that NES right up! lol

Duct tape for that SNES!!!

I am kidding, would be best to try and fix them right because they seem to be in semi working order?

At least you have the games :) That's the best part, so if you had too you could buy one of those Retron thingies.

Honestly, I had thought about it (the NES/SNES combos), but then again, I'm tight on cash atm. Aren't those simply emulators though? And if so, are they known to work with games like SMRPG that use special chips, or even a Super Gameboy?

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I had thought about it (the NES/SNES combos), but then again, I'm tight on cash atm. Aren't those simply emulators though? And if so, are they known to work with games like SMRPG that use special chips, or even a Super Gameboy?

I believe the Retron5 has much higher compatibility now, even Super FX games are running on it :P Not sure when it'll be released. Yes, they are Android-based emulators, they can even make saves states, filters, HDMI support, they're probably the best kind of famiclone you can get.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe the Retron5 has much higher compatibility now, even Super FX games are running on it :P Not sure when it'll be released. Yes, they are Android-based emulators, they can even make saves states, filters, HDMI support, they're probably the best kind of famiclone you can get.

If I had to use official controllers and an HDMI TV and carts I think the Retron 5 is probably the best solution, at least when they get a few updates to the firmware under the belt.

I watched a few video's on youtube and the general consensus is its great right now, but a few features are still kinda buggy. After some updates and the kinks get worked out it will be great (This is assuming good support of course.) If it get's rooted and some one makes a custom ROM for it, expect to see more emulators for it and even actual rom loading too.

Myself, I would just grab a 50 dollar cheapo Android stick from DX.com (one of the Rk3188 based ones, so you could get full speed PS1 on it too.) and call it a day. Maybe get real fancy and configure the bluetooth up with a PS3 dual shock controller, or a Wiimote for an air mouse kinda deal. I wonder if you could use both.... lol I mean in the OS use the Wiimote, and in a game configure it to use the PS3 controller.

Great a new experiment to keep me up all night tinkering with....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it