Gaming I just dont get whats exciting about Brawl.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Never played previous versions but I've seen a trailer of GC version, but I dont get whats so exciting about fighting all these *happy* nintendo (except Snake and gonna-look-like-bad-a$$-samus) together? like fat Mario and chubby Kirby. whats exciting about that? those characters are not meant to fight for god's sake.

If it was a good fighting game like *name ur fav here*, It would make some sense to me but waiting to fight Mario Vs. Snake, man, I dont get it.

So would someone actually explain, if possible, that whats so cool about this game without fanboy statements?

thnx.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's a fighter that breaks away from the traditional fighter formula. Also, do people boast about mario kart because they've always felt like racing mario against his friends? Hell no, it's just a different type of game

jergens

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How is anyone supposed to explain to you why it is good? You either like it or you don't. In our case, we love to see all these Nintendo characters come together to battle it up, and you for some reason think its lame.

If you can get over what characters you think should and shouldn't fight, the variety in the gameplay is limitless. I still play Melee all the time with my friends and it hasn't gotten old. It's fast-paced and provides a different kind of action than other fighting games, you don't have to worry about doing crazy button combinations. And now with Brawl, they've added so many more features that the fun may never run out on this game
smile.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I too share your lack of enthusiasm (I normally grab smash brothers games when I find them a couple of years later at a second hand shop).

None the less they are fairly solid fighters with a reasonable difficulty curve (they lack the test type memorise 60 moves/combos while allowing for those who like that sort of thing to still play: different characters have fairly different traits, moves and strategies).

Multiplayer: 4 player mode can be tuned for just about everyone of all abilities to play and is just a bit of fast paced fun.

3rd have you seen the games releases lately, there have been a few decent titles but these games have all been solid.

Overhyped: definitely
Overrated: quite possibly
Bad: definitely not.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
you dont know, you should be around for sometime to see that how h[ea]rt warming is to see some user's posts on your topic, such as FAST6191.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's hard if you don't try the game yourself. You've played Melee, but you haven't been exposed very much to it, I'm assuming.

Like mentioned, Melee is a deep fighting game. It contains a lot more than just button mashing. Items add a whole new level to every match. Instead of health points, you have a percent which represents how far you get knocked back off the stage instead. Regardless, even if your percent is high, you still can take a few more lives off the opponent before you lose that one life. In other fighting games, if you were down to low health, a super can simply kill you even if you block it, for example, Marvel Vs. Capcom.

I would recommend picking up the game and trying it with a group of friends. It's a very fun party game as well. It kills time very quickly and its been improved since Melee.

Not sure if this would change your mind, but I hope you don't think so negatively of the game.
tongue.gif

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Well since ive EVER first tired Super Smash Bros Melee.
I was only 7 or 9 so yes i could offcourse not get that game or the console.
Now finaly after so many years i FINALY can get a chanche to play it again even better than before!

Rammoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps you don't understand, because you've never played it, as could be seen in your first post?

I have to say, when I bought the first Smash Bros for the N64 I was really disappointed at first. After a month or so, me and my friends decided to give it another try and that's when we found the magic of the series.

I'd suggest to get a few (nintendo loving) friends together, play some Smash Bros, find out what the magic is behind the series and THEN judge if you can understand the hype or not. Of course there are still chances you won't like it, but at least you make your point valid by having tried it yourself.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Its impossible for me to play it since we dont have official Nintendo stores here and no one downloads it (Nintendo is known for its NES here) so there are no chances to playing it, thats why I asked you guys whats the joy in that fighting game that you apparently (副) do not find in other fighting releases.

Digeman

Trophies
XP
Country
Never played previous versions

That right there is why you don't get the hype
tongue.gif

Not trying to bust your balls or anything...but if you really do wanna get what everybody's talking about i suggest you actually play the game before making acusations of ideas beeing stupid (such as seeing mario fight with luigi) etc.etc.
lecture.gif

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE(What's so exciting about Street Fighter?) said:
Never played previous versions but I've seen people play it in an arcade, but I dont get whats so exciting about fighting all these people who know how to fight and have rich ethnic diversity together? like Karate man in White and an Indian man with the body build of Ghandi. whats exciting about that? those characters are not meant to fight for god's sake.

If it was a good fighting game like SSBM, It would make some sense to me but waiting to fight Generic Karate man A vs Generic Karate man B, man, I dont get it.

So would someone actually explain, if possible, that whats so cool about this game without fanboy statements?

thnx.

shineget

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
imagine a 2d fighter that does everything a 2d fighter should do amazingly well, now imagine every character is a character that you have grown to love from some of your all time favourite games, now stop imagining because it's REAL. how could we not get excited about this game?

If you had played the previous games, i think it might be easier to understand.

Rammoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its impossible for me to play it since we dont have official Nintendo stores here and no one downloads it (Nintendo is known for its NES here) so there are no chances to playing it, thats why I asked you guys whats the joy in that fighting game that you apparently (?) do not find in other fighting releases.

Okay, I'll try to give you an explanation, since I'm bored
wink.gif
Here goes:

First of all, people like to have cool characters to fight with. Most people always pick the cool characters in fighting games first. Characters which stand out for another like Ryu and Ken in Street Fighter, Scorpion and Lui Kang in Mortal Kombat etc.
In Smash, you basically have all the cool characters a nintendo fan could ever dream of.
To give you an example, Soul Calibur II was released on 3 consoles, all 3 with a different character fitting to their system. As you probably know, Gamecube was far behind the other consoles in sales, it was in deep shit and a lot of stores even gave up on it due to bad salesment. However, the GC version outsold the other 2 versions on PS2 and Xbox by far! How come? Link was in it. People actually bought a gamecube just to play with Link.

Now take Smash Bros. It is FILLED with cool and popular characters, especially for Nintendo fanboys. That makes the first important reason why to like this game.

The second one, is due to it's different combat system. You don't have HP here which slowly deplees the more you get hit. This fighter is all about survival, rather than combo's. There are items which increase your chances in both offensive and defensive ways, which makes up for an all new experience in fighting games. It's not as deep as most fighting games, but it doesn't want to compare itself to different fighting games. This is a whole different game.
Comparing it to a fighting game is like comparing WWF Smackdown to Dead or Alive. You can fight in both games, but there's a whole different dimension to both of them.

That doesn't mean there's no depth in it at all. It's not for no reason that there have been held a lot of competitions for this game. Underneath all the simple mechanics, there is still a massive strategic element to be found in this game. Just like with the pokemon games, you can just train, complete the game and catch a few pokemon. However, pokemon also has the pokemon nature and EV points for example, which influence your stats and can make you the best. Smash Bros has a different system of course, but at least as hard to master and become a really skilled Smash Bros Player.

Smash Bros isn't really meant as a competitive game, like most fighters. Smash Bros is all about fun. Fun in both single and multiplayer (up to 4 players), without closing all space to make it into a competitive games. You can tweak all option like items, which ones to show up and which not. Speed the game up or not and many many more. You can make it as competitive as you want.

I think that sums up the magic behind Smash Bros. Please keep in mind that english is not my native language, so I might have used a few wrong phrases
tongue.gif

wabo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I also never got this game.

I'm a big fan of Nintendo and also a big fan of 4 players local games. I'm also a fan of fighting games ( my fav being Street fighter, Mk2-3, Soul Calibur, Tekken2-3). I have a bunch of friends with whom as long has we have a decent 4 player game we can have a lot of fun. I tried 4 players smash bros on n64 back in the day and also on gamecube with 4 players. The four of us all thought it was shallow and dull in both games. Truly, for all of us, one of the biggest disappointment in Nintendo history. We were so looking forward to it but it just seemed random button smashing.

Since then i also asked a similar question as this subject thread on another forum, and people told me about the game, it's supposed deepness etc. Tried the game again with friends but it just doesnt take. I'm still gonna try this one but my expectation are pretty low...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup