Hacking I just directly downgraded Sysnand from 10.7 to 2.1 in an O3DS.

ArmoredGuns1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problems at all. Saves a ton of time actually, just to let you know it's possible and certainly safe. Oh, I used tinyformat before downgrading though, to be safe.

D

Deleted User

I don't see how it saves time as don't you need ARM9 to install A9LH? So at your point, you're going to restore 10.7 then downgrade?

ArmoredGuns1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see how it saves time as don't you need ARM9 to install A9LH? So at your point, you're going to restore 10.7 then downgrade?

Updating and downgrading again is way faster than creating 2 Emunand Backups, 1 Sysnand Backup and restore two of them. There's also the option of upgrading through cartridge and then go to 9.2 from there.

Just because it worked doesn't mean it's safe.
If anything went wrong, then there'd no way to fix it, since you can't make a nand backup on 10.7.

Is there any specific reason about why you'd imagine that it isn't as safe as a normal 9.2 downgrade?

D

Deleted User

Updating and downgrading again is way faster than creating 2 Emunand Backups, 1 Sysnand Backup and restore two of them. There's also the option of upgrading through cartridge and then go to 9.2 from there.

Is there any specific reason about why you'd imagine that it isn't as safe as a normal 9.2 downgrade?

I could see that. Though upgrading via cart would leave you at 9.2.0-4U, which won't work from Ninjihax 1.1/2.x, and neither will browserhax if I'm not mistaken (well technically this can be done if you're willing to create your own payload) You'd also be locked out of MSET at that point as well since you're > 7.x

Last edited by ,

tvall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i downgraded my 2ds and 2 o3dsxls from 9.2 sysnand to 2.1 before the otp guide was finished. but i also had them hardmodded. so, it works. but if something goes horribly wrong, you need a hardmod to restore. and if you went straight from unmodded 10.7, you dont have a backup and are completely screwed

for the o3ds models, since i hardmod them all, my usual route is downgrade to 9.2, dump nand, then downgrade sysnand to 2.1 and dump otp, then use the hardmod to flash back 9.2 and set everything up. its faster, but without the hardmod much more risky. i've ended up with 2 frankenfirmwares going to 2.1. i did manage to use an older rxtools to fix and downgrade again. but it could have easily been worse

Last edited by tvall,

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
When driving a car, I've never been in such a wreck that the airbags or seatbelt saved me. Maybe I could do without them?

There's always a chance something will go wrong. Maybe the downgrade fails and you end up with a 2.x/10.x frankenfirmware, with no usable exploits. Maybe there's a permanent blackscreen.

ArmoredGuns1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could see that. Though upgrading via cart would leave you at 9.2.0-4U, which won't work from Ninjihax 1.1/2.x, and neither will browserhax if I'm not mistaken (well technically this can be done if you're willing to create your own payload) You'd also be locked out of MSET at that point as well since you're > 7.x

Well, you can upgrade to 4.x from a cartridge, then launch Rxtools devmode and use Sysupdater to update to a complete 9.2 pack.

i downgraded my 2ds and 2 o3dsxls from 9.2 sysnand to 2.1 before the otp guide was finished. but i also had them hardmodded. so, it works. but if something goes horribly wrong, you need a hardmod to restore. and if you went straight from unmodded 10.7, you dont have a backup and are completely screwed

It's the same. You go from an unmodded 10.7 straight to 9.2, with no NAND backup in case something goes wrong. Why isn't it as safe as going directly to 2.1?

D

Deleted User

Well, you can upgrade to 4.x from a cartridge, then launch Rxtools devmode and use Sysupdater to update to a complete 9.2 pack.

It's the same. You go from an unmodded 10.7 straight to 9.2, with no NAND backup in case something goes wrong. Why isn't it as safe as going directly to 2.1?

That's my point. You're not saving steps, you're now forced to find a 4.x cartridge, load a different CFW (make a backup - if you care to), and then upgrade back to 9.2. [that's assuming you had either A) a DS cart to install MSET, B) use the browser to install MSET]

You can usually skip the emuNAND formatted.bin if you're confident in your downgrade. emuNAND restorations after 2.1 can take place via PC since your SD is out (takes maybe 15-30s max on your PC). So really it's just the 1 sysNAND restoration to worry about.

I'd say for someone who knows what they're doing, go for it. The average user though /shrug.

Keep in mind, it's nothing about safety, I'm just looking at it from a time perspective for an average user.

The only safety issue is having nothing to do even with a hard-mod, and the inevitable person who does that on a N3DS which in that case, sad trombone.

Edit: Is your goal an updated sysNAND? I could see that saving the emuNAND backups and such. That's about it though. That and being O3DS only.

Last edited by ,

tvall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ive never had a partial downgrade going to 9.2. and if you get a partial there, you can use the same exploits to retry. 2.1 you cant just rerun oot3dhax or browserhax and try again.

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ArmoredGuns1 just to get this absolutely straight, the point is to add a layer of protection, I did brick my 3ds by downgrading sysNAND (I have a NAND mod though) so even if it adds time I think everyone is willing to add a little time to ensure their console doesn't get bricked... kthx

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
10.7 to 2.1 is a stretch.
It'd be safer (but still less time consuming compared to using an emuNAND) to downgrade to 9.2 first, make a NAND backup, then downgrade sysNAND to 2.1.
That's what I've been doing on o3DS's.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive never had a partial downgrade going to 9.2. and if you get a partial there, you can use the same exploits to retry. 2.1 you cant just rerun oot3dhax or browserhax and try again.

you can just use a 4.x game cart to update then use recovery mode to update to 10.7 then do the downgrade again. I have no idea if you can directly update from 2.1 recovery mode though (if it even had one at that time).

EDIT:
Source: Myself as I have had a 2.1 partial downgrade before and fixed it this way.

ArmoredGuns1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can downgrade from 10.7 means you're most probably using Ocarina of Time, so that means that you most probably have a 4.x update cart (which is OoT). Also you can directly update from 2.1 to 10.7 again through system settings (no need to update via cart until a firmware that patches svchax is released).

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can downgrade from 10.7 means you're most probably using Ocarina of Time, so that means that you most probably have a 4.x update cart (which is OoT). Also you can directly update from 2.1 to 10.7 again through system settings (no need to update via cart until a firmware that patches svchax is released).

EDIT: I update to 4.5 to hopefully (I have no proof it even does this) repair most of the partial downgrade so I do not have any issues while running a System Update that could result in even further problems.
I also only use Safe Mode to update from 4.5 to 10.7 as it is hopefully safer than updating from inside a partial firmware.

Last edited by driverdis,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Believe Japan was going to make it legal at some point, according to a Kotaku...