Hacking I just bought a used ps3 slim cech-2001a

Tomtani1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a used ps3 slim cech-2001a running official firmware 4.80. The blu-ray drive does not read ps3 discs. I plan to upgrade to a 1TB internal hard drive and install custom firmware Rebug.

1. What official Sony firmware should I upgrade to prior to installing the custom firmware Rebug?
2. Should I upgrade to the 1TB hard drive first then do the hacking afterward?
3. Do I need to have a working blu-ray player in order the do the hacking?

Thank you for your feedback.

Last edited by Tomtani1,

Tomtani1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had three questions but did now get any answer so I went ahead with installing the CFW.

1. What official Sony firmware should I upgrade to prior to installing the custom firmware Rebug?

There is no Rebug CFW for Sony's official firmware 4.87 as of 2-25-21. I chose to install the full REBUG 4.84.2 REX CFW rather than the lite versions. That means upgrading to Sony's official firmware 4.84.

Initially I made the mistake of updating to Sony's official firmware 4.87 without realizing that there was no Rebug CFW for 4.87 right now. What I did was to install CFW 4.87.2 Evilnat Cobra so that I could have a CFW running. Then I installed and ran Habib-QA_Toggle-4.21 to toggle ON the QA flag. I then put REBUG 4.84.2 REX CFW on my usb stick to do a System Update via Storage Media. I now have the full REBUG 4.84.2 REX CFW.

2. Should I upgrade to the 1TB hard drive first then do the hacking afterward?

You can do either way. Since I hacked my PS3 to install REBUG 4.84.2 REX CFW first. My next step is to put in the 1TB hard drive and do the System Update via the USB stick containing the REBUG 4.84.2 REX CFW.

3. Do I need to have a working blu-ray player in order the do the hacking?

I did not need to have a working blu-ray player in order the do the hacking.

Last edited by Tomtani1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person