Hacking I installed the Homebrew channel but now I'm not sure what to do..

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
- Wii Firmware 3.2E modded with WiiKey
- I need this to play Fragile
- I don't have wireless internet on my Wii
- I want to play WiiWare and VC N64 games
- I'm not a very tech savvy guy, in fact I kinda hate this stuff so try to keep it simple so I can understand it lol

ok so I installed the Homebrew Channel but the only application it detects from my apps folder is Starfall which a guy told me may not work on a PAL Wii, plus that thing seems freaky, I launched the installer and it said it could brick my wii and crap and I got no patience to deal with that, but I DO want to install it so it blocks updates from US and Japanese games.

I got WAD MAnager 1.3 from here: http://gbatemp.net/?act=ST&f=116&t=112205
placed it in my SD Card: /media/disk-1/apps/Wadmanager 1.3
It doesn't have a PNG or anything, but I assumed it would work, it doesn't show up in the Homebrew Channel

In a guide on LL I read that before installing Starfall or any Backup loader I have to do some stuff...which I didn't quite understand.

Code:
Formatting Your Wii To Version 3.2 And Installing The Backup Launcher

1: Load "Wad Manager" in Homebrew Channel and install IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad, by pressing the + button on your Wii remote. Yes, even if you have received errors trying to install other wads this should still work.

2: Load "Custom WM" in Homebrew Channel and install cios_fix.wad by pressing the + button on your Wii remote. You cannot install this wad with the normal Wad Manager (WM is an abbreviated form of Wad Manager incase you're confused). This is a custom wad manager designed to work for IOS16.

3: Load "IOS Downgrader" in Homebrew Channel. Just follow any prompts until it tells you it is complete. Note: This is NOT the same as the "Custom IOS downgrader". The "Custom IOS downgrader" allows you to upgrade or downgrade to the ideal firmware version which is 3.2. The reason 3.2 is so popular is partially because versions after this one had the Trucha bug fixed, and almost as importantly ver 3.2 is required to run Starfall. Starfall is important because it is at this time one of the only ways to fix a partially bricked Wii. It is also handy for skipping disk updates.

4: (Perform these steps if you are NOT on version 3.2. If you ARE on 3.2, skip to STEP 5)

Load "Custom IOS Downgrader" in Homebrew channel MAKING SURE you PICK YOUR CORRECT REGION. Follow prompts until done. 3.2U = USA/Canada, 3.2E = Europe, 3.2J = Japan To do this, you use the D-Pad on your Wii remote to scroll through the firmware options until you have "3.2*Region" Selected. You then select and install that region, following the instructions on how to. This step can take quite a while (10-15 minutes for me)

5: (You should now be on version 3.2 for your region [if you weren't already]. You're almost done!)

Load Starfall with Homebrew Channel. If you read the disclaimer carefully, you will see you are instructed to press B+1 and not B+2. Press B+1 until you get to the next screen. It is very picky so dont be surprised if you have to keep pressing it a number of times. At the next screen the most important things to install are the last 3 options. Many people like to just install everything which is okay too.

6: Run "cIOS Installer" in Homebrew Channel. This installs the IOS needed by the launcher.

7: Load "Install Shop IOS51". Say Yes to installing IOS51 and Yes to patching a fix but No to the Wii Shop Channel.

8: Load "Wad Manager" in Homebrew Channel and install: DjTaz_gamma_Loader.wad This file is a convenient goody. Without this, to play your burnt Wii games, you'd have to go into the homebrew channel, load another application, and then load it again to play a burnt game. With this, it makes a shortcut to the backup loader right on your Wii's main screen. Its display picture as a channel will say "Gamma Loader", but when you hover your cursor over it, it will say "Disc Loader"

You can also optionally install IOS38, as in some cases it is needed to run Animal Crossi

I have no idea what half of that ios thing and what not is or what I have to do tbh, I do understand i have to skip step 4 cause I'm already on 3.2E

AsosaYoung

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have the pack the at comes with this Tut. It looks like you are at step 5.
Start Starfall is safe and anytime you do things like is to your wii can BRICK it. That's the chance you take.
Just follow the instruction carefully.
I have RiiskiMod v2.0 It suppose to be dangerous too LOL.
Free region from the Disc Channel + update protection and a prevention from Bricking.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I have the same setup as you (wii 3.2E, WiiKey 1.9s). So I know this will work
smile.gif

1) You've placed it in the wrong section of the sd-card. You have to create a Folder named apps in the SD-Card. In this one you place a Folder with the .dol

Ex: /apps/WADmanager/boot.dol Important: it sould be boot.dol!!!!!

No icons or .xml-file needed.

2) You don't need to install a IOS or something, you have a Modchip!!!

3)Starfall is safe, and works on a PAL Wii. I recommend to enable these here:

QUOTE said:
* Region free GC games with video mode patch

* Region free Wii games

* Region free channels

* Start rescue-menu when Y is held on 1st GC controller

* Remove rescue-menu diagnostic disc check

* Skip disc update check

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I should just ignore the first 3 steps of the downgrading process? I don't need none of that stuff?

thanks man I'll give it a try, hope my Wii doesn't brick cause if it does I'm screwed, can't afford a new one atm and I really love my Wii

edit: sweet, thanks it's all nice and clear now
I'll do it in a minute. btw my WiiKey doesn't have the latest update, it's the one before s I think(1.9s is the one that came out during the summer right?) cause I THINK 1.9s had some compatibility issues with GCN games on PAL Wiis so I'm still on the one before that, plays Brawl and SMG and everything just fine

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Yup! DON'T INSTALL ANYTHING THAT HAS IOS IN HIS NAME
tongue.gif
. You don't need it!!!

Simply run Starfall (Install only the ones I've told you) and WAD-Manager from HomebrewChannel.

(Make shure that the apps Folder is in the root of the SD-Card, so not in another Folder)

Also very usefull for you: GeckoOS

Let's you play games from Japan/Amerika.

It's here: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=83b3401...e018c8114394287

Unpack it, and place it in the apps Folder (/apps/GeckoOS/boot.dol). Try to launch it, if it don't works, go to Optinions, enable VIDTV and Force to PAL60 or PAL50 and launch. It works now.

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks a lot man, everything went nice and smooth with Starfall, I installed the hacks you told me to and I assume they did what they were supposed to, I can use NTSC VC Game channels now, BUT the games at least the NTSC StarFox654 I tried had choppy audio because for me all VC games are displayed in 50Hz, PAL VC games are also in 50Hz which kinda hurts my eyes.

GeckoOS seems to boot US games at PAL60 or NTSC, not sure but both Mushroom Men US(played, finished loved, just used it for testing now) and my US Brawl booted up fine with that and both were nice and smooth like they should've been.

I guess Starfall doesn't disable updates though, my Mushroom Men disc has an update on it and unless you run it through GeckoOS now or Feeloader like I used to it says it needs to do a system update, even now with the Starfalls hacks installed.

Well that's about it I guess, I just hope I can play Fragile.

Oh and one more question.
Now that I installed Starfall and everything, can I remove it from my SD card? Also can I remove VC and WiiWare games from the SD card once they're installed in the Wii or does it still use the wads on the card to boot or something?

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just tested NTSC Wii games, they work perfectly at PAL60 or NTSC not sure, either way they are in no way choppy or glitchy.
I guess the N64 emulator the Wii uses has trouble converting the signal or using PAL 60 or something like that.

I'll have to find some PAL VC N64 VC Releases, dun need any other systems on the VC I have a modded PSP, modded Xbox, two computers and a DS and a GBA for that lol

again, thanks for the help, if you know why NTSC N64 games are choppy for me let me know, if not it's cool.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s