RELEASE I heard that you guys need some sweet patches for atmosphere

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by The-4n, Oct 18, 2018.

1. AsmodeusML

AsmodeusML Member

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2016
    Belarus
    No, it is to prevent the update of gamecard slot software. Without nogc if you decide to downgrade to a lower than 4.0 firmware your gc slot will not work

Last edited by AsmodeusML, Oct 18, 2018
  2. milkyTommy

milkyTommy Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2017
    Canada
    Montréal
    Good thanks !

3. Ejec

Ejec Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2015
    Argentina
    Thank you !! These patches solved the problem of damaged games.

4. Vorde

Vorde GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2015
    Canada
    This was literally the exact same question I had.
    How does that even work? Wouldnt they still be damaged? =/

5. AsmodeusML

AsmodeusML Member

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2016
    Belarus
    "Damaged" in a sense that installed NSP (aka pirated) were unlaunchable after booting Atmosphere due to lack of signature patches

6. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    If the patches allow you to circumvent access controls used to protect copyright content then yes they do.

"Anti-circumvention refers to laws which prohibit the circumvention of technological barriers for using a digital good in certain ways which the rightsholders do not wish to allow. The requirement for anti-circumvention laws was globalized in 1996 with the creation of the World Intellectual Property Organization's Copyright Treaty."

7. Adran_Marit

Adran_Marit Walküre's Hacker

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    the code for the patches is open source rather than nintendo code is what they mean

Vorde and BL4Z3D247 like this.
  8. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    If it patches nintendo's code then their lawyers would argue that it creates an unauthorised derivative work.

I actually wonder if Atmosphere would count as an illegal derivative work, in which case the license is irrelevant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work#Lawful_works_requirement

9. Crusatyr

Crusatyr GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2016
    United States
    I think you're missing the point. As far as GBAtemp is concerned, these patches are "legal" to share because they don't contain code written by Nintendo. As to whether or not this stuff is actual legal in sense, is up to the courts to decide. Honestly though, Rajkosto has a good idea of what he's doing, so if he wrote and distributed these patches as part of his RajNX, they are 100% okay for this website. What The-4N did is just posting them in a place you can find it without having to download the entire CFW.

The-4n and AsmodeusML like this.
  10. Switcherooo

Switcherooo Member

Newcomer
    Oct 17, 2018
    Canada
    Ok, sorry noob question..

If I’m on 2.3fw virgin switch and have a bunch of game cart games that I play right now. How would I go about playing them if I install atmosphere and these patches ??

11. SirByte

SirByte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Canada
    This only comes into play when you are going to update your switch using ChoiDujourNX, AND want to keep the option do downgrade back to 2.3.0 once DejaVu becomes available for it.

If you're leaving it at 2.3.0 you can use the 2.00-6.01 patches. As soon as you upgrade, BEFORE rebooting, you'll need to have the 4.00-6.01 nogc patches installed instead of the other ones. ChoiDujourNX will take care of AutoRCM so your fuses won't get burnt, but you will have to install those nogc patches so your gamecard controller firmware doesn't' get updated.

12. Crusatyr

Crusatyr GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2016
    United States
    As long as you stay on FW 2.3, you don't need to do anything special to play both your legally obtained backups, as well as your physical games.

Switcherooo likes this.
  13. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I understood what their point was. I'm just not sure that redefining the world "legal" helps.

I don't doubt that gbatemp will be happy to host them.

14. Crusatyr

Crusatyr GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2016
    United States
    Like I said, I thought you missed the point. It strikes me as odd, though, that you got the point and still argued something else then.

15. Switcherooo

Switcherooo Member

Newcomer
    Oct 17, 2018
    Canada
    Amazing !!

Is there an option to ignore update from newer games and still play them ?

For example, super Mario game cart wants me to upgrade to a newer fw in order to play.

Another situation I have run into is, I have Mario cart which runs fine but I tried to play locally with a buddy who has a newer version fw and it wants me to upgrade as well.

Thanks for the help !’

Last edited by Switcherooo, Oct 19, 2018
  16. Crusatyr

Crusatyr GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2016
    United States
    Nope, I'm afraid not. IIRC, Super Mario Odyssey is encrypted with a key that requires 3.0.1. Since 2.3 doesn't have that key, you can not play that game without updating.

17. Switcherooo

Switcherooo Member

Newcomer
    Oct 17, 2018
    Canada
    I guess I could update without burning fuses after creating a backup in order to play it ?

I wish there was a how to somewhere, but all the info is on these forums .. just hard to find sometimes

18. AsmodeusML

AsmodeusML Member

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2016
    Belarus
    Switcherooo likes this.
  19. Crusatyr

Crusatyr GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2016
    United States
    Here's how to Do it the quick and easy way.

Click this line for a guide by Canna on how to make a nand backup

Click this line to update using ChoidujourNX by Rajkosto

If you have any questions, feel free to join the ReiNX discord here. We'll be happy to help out.

Switcherooo likes this.
  20. BillyJo

BillyJo Member

Newcomer
    Jan 8, 2017
    Canada
    thanks work fine for all eshop games installed, but every game that was installed from an XCI converted by 4nxci to NSP dont want to run ??

21. Switcherooo

Switcherooo Member

Newcomer
    Oct 17, 2018
    Canada
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted