Hacking I heard that the DS supports MP4

weiff

Trophies
XP
Country
Reading the article kind of answers the question you are asking... the system is capable of rendering the video, as long as you have a compatible cartridge for codec support. The article is speaking about an new software update for the Play-yan cart. So I'm guessing it will be a few months before the cart manufactures reverse engineer the same support.

rozzan143

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ok
biggrin.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
AAC is supported (which is normally what goes in the mp4 (sometimes given the extension m4a) audio files) in its raw form in moonshell and some other players.

MP4 for video can be all manner of things but it is usually (anything else tends to appear in AVI, OGG, MKV or something even worse like quicktime/real that I have seen) AVC aka H264 video which is a bit beyond the DS. On the other hand someone (as I recall it was the person behind the DPG (amongst other things) encoder EZBuilder that done it) ported a version of xvid although nobody has picked up and ran with it yet (no audio for one). Search through the homebrew news or search gbadev if your are curious.

MrKuenning

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a homebrew app that played mp4 files came out 4-5 months ago, however it had no sound.

What I cant wait for is a flash player for DS, think of the possibilitys.?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Green name speaks true :P