I heard that the DS supports MP4

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by rozzan143, Nov 29, 2007.

1. rozzan143
    OP

rozzan143 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 7, 2007
  2. weiff

weiff GBAtemp Regular

Nov 18, 2006
    Reading the article kind of answers the question you are asking... the system is capable of rendering the video, as long as you have a compatible cartridge for codec support. The article is speaking about an new software update for the Play-yan cart. So I'm guessing it will be a few months before the cart manufactures reverse engineer the same support.

3. AuthorX

AuthorX Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2007
    United States
    It really depends on whether Moonshell is updated to have this feature, since R4 just packs in Moonshell.

4. rozzan143
    OP

rozzan143 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 7, 2007
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    AAC is supported (which is normally what goes in the mp4 (sometimes given the extension m4a) audio files) in its raw form in moonshell and some other players.

MP4 for video can be all manner of things but it is usually (anything else tends to appear in AVI, OGG, MKV or something even worse like quicktime/real that I have seen) AVC aka H264 video which is a bit beyond the DS. On the other hand someone (as I recall it was the person behind the DPG (amongst other things) encoder EZBuilder that done it) ported a version of xvid although nobody has picked up and ran with it yet (no audio for one). Search through the homebrew news or search gbadev if your are curious.

6. MrKuenning

MrKuenning GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Alaska
    a homebrew app that played mp4 files came out 4-5 months ago, however it had no sound.

What I cant wait for is a flash player for DS, think of the possibilitys.?

7. arctic_flame

arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

Nov 4, 2006
    England land
  8. DanTheManMS

DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    From my understanding, yes there is.