I have updated my N3DS, without knowing of all these exploits and stuff

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Rustic, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Rustic
    OP

Rustic Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2015
    Finland
    I just have two questions:

Will exploits like the recent browser exploit, be some day available to newer firmwares like 9.6.0-24?

Are there people actively trying to make them work on newer firmwares, or do they stick to "safe" versions?

2. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    1. NINJHAX and the Zelda exploit are the only ones that work with N3DS and they work with the current firmware. But they are only entry points. The browser exploit doesn't work with the latest firmware any more.
    2. Almost all stick to "safe" versions.

3. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    The teams try to work non-stop (or at least that's what we know) to make exploits for newer firmwares. It usually takes some time for them to get it working.

4. Technicmaster0

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Who do you mean by teams? Gateway probably doesn't work on new exploits yet (why should they? the latest one was 9.2 and that wasn't released long ago). Yellows8 might work on new exploits but he won't release them anyways to the publicity.

5. Rustic
    OP

Rustic Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2015
    Finland

Soo do i have any hope of, let's say playing Gameboy games or similar, on the 3DS?

6. Technicmaster0

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Virtual Console :P

7. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    You can play GB games on your 3DS via VC but you have to pay for them. Ninjhax does work and allow you to run homebrew applications and there are already several emus that work but I haven't tried them out myself.
    Okay, they may not be making new exploits but they are updating their OOT exploit hence the reason they are asking for saves so they can make it have a high compatibility

8. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2002
    Not on the 3DS you have, unless you buy them from the eShop :P

They most definitely do not work on the current firmware.
    There undoubtedly numerous unreleased exploits, but it's highly unlikely we'll see them used before revision 10 is released.

SpongeFreak52 likes this.
  9. Rustic
    OP

Rustic Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2015
    Finland

Talking about the tons of games not on VC :P

10. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    I think I saw something in IGN about being able to play gb/c roms on the 3DS VC by buying one VC GB/C game and doing placing a rom in the sd card and doing something with the 3DS. They said it was apparently patched in the 9.2 update

11. Technicmaster0

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    But NINJHAX doesn't work on 9.6.

The entrypoints (in NINJHAX and OOTHAX) work but not the stuff that lays under it. We have ROP programming abilities but for GW we would need an ARM11 Kernel Hax, an ARM9 Kernel Hax and a way to escape ROP.

12. Rustic
    OP

Rustic Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2015
    Finland

Yup, that was the browser exploit, but i can't use it because i had already updated my system, and heard of the exploit just last night when i got an itch to play Pokemon Crystal and was wondering if it was possible to play it on the 3DS.

13. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    If it's just gb/gba games you want you can get a NDS flashcard and run them that way....but for 3ds hacks you blew it sonny :P

14. Rustic
    OP

Rustic Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2015
    Finland

You got me intrigued. I'd be happy if i can just play gb games, i don't really care for playing 3ds roms :P

Honestly, i don't know shizz about flashcards.
    You don't have to give me an essay on this, but how would i go about the DS flashcard route for playing gb games?

gamesquest1 likes this.
  15. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    Rustic likes this.
  16. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    ooo
    Yeah there is a perfectly usable gameboy emulator, iirc there is a fairly good NES emulator, a OK-ish megadrive/genesis emulator, and some mostly unusable snes/gba emulators

If snes/gba emulation is important to you there is the dstwo, but since they stopped production they are pretty hard to come by and usually extremely over priced for the sake of snes and gba emulators that still aren't perfect but hold up ok thanks to the built in co-processor built into the dstwo