I have this question...

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by airpirate545, May 31, 2008.

May 31, 2008

I have this question... by airpirate545 at 6:39 AM (1,311 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. airpirate545
    OP

Member airpirate545 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    How come game cutscenes are some of the consoles look simply beautiful but the game doesnt look a tenth as beautiful as the custscene(like NiGhts Into Dreams). Why cant they make a game with cutscenes as good looking as the game itself? Is it just not possible? Are game companies just lazy? Just a little thing I've been wondering about lately...

2. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Cutscenes tend to be pre-rendered using high definition backgrounds, textures, sprites and so on. So they look alot better than the normal game. Its simply ue to the hardware limitations on the system, it simply can't handle that level of detail and play at a decent frames per second. So cutscenes tend to be pre-rendered, AKA scenes that we're rendered previously and made into movie files that the game plays. Its actually a common practice. Though some cutscenes aren't pre-rendered and use the game's actual sprites and such, but they look the same as the ones you see when you play the game.

3. Mega_Nift

Newcomer Mega_Nift Advanced Member

United States
    depends on whos making the game, some companies make in-engine cutscenes, and others do CG. the Metal gear series is a good example of i-engine, thats their dev style, while final fantasy would be more comforting using CG, although they do use some i-e. depends on developer. what are u doing playing trash like NiGHTS anyway?

4. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    NiGHTS into Dreams... is considered to be one of the best games ever made and is a cult classic.

There is no reason for FMV cut scenes now, we have the power to make stunning in game cut scenes. Also in some games its much better to have in game cut scenes because your character might not be wearing the standard attire.
    Case in point RE4, on the PS2 it used heavily compressed (I believe also lower res) MPEG cut scenes, same for the PC but the Gamecube/Wii have in game cut scenes.

Back in the day they made sense, the technology was limited or the engine wasn't suitable, though that still happens today (REmake).
    I don't believe in FMV cut scenes, they often take time to load and sometimes on both sides of the cut scene.

5. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Actually the cut scenes from RE4 we're taking from the in-game cutscenes from the Gamecube version of the game. So basicly what you see, are simply recorded cutscenes from the Gamecube version with the standard clothes.

6. Mega_Nift

Newcomer Mega_Nift Advanced Member

United States
    wow legendofphil, your post was worthless, your intro made me think i was gona learn something but all u said was a bunch of bull s hit

7. Eternal Myst

Member Eternal Myst Back from the Myst.

United States
    You are from America.Stop speaking Engrish.

8. PizzaPasta

Member PizzaPasta Son of p1ngpong

United States
    Actually the games are the cut scenes and the cut scenes are the game, didn't you already know that?